I'm a dishonest buyer, be the judge? (Potential ebay seller warning too)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the one hand I completely understand why you're annoyed. On the other hand, you can't presume that the average American knows that Australia is at the arse end of the world and shipping is always horrendously expensive. I wouldn't have argued past the second exchange. Still, he has offended Australia's honour and should be left with negative feedback as a demonstration that we are not to be ****ed with.

Last edited by a moderator:
The listing said ships to US only. Can you even put an offer in if your ebay address is Australia?

Vent away Freak_Zombie. :)

lol thanks!

I can understand you being upset. Trouble is, you can't do anything about it. Just consider the source and don't buy anything from him ever again.

If he only has 4 feedbacks and he's been selling since 2002, then he hasn't been selling very much and probably isn't good at it.

Live and learn. He's a bastard. Forgetabouthim.

Thanks for the support, left negative feedback. Still bummed I couldn't get the statue.

I think the seller was definitely in the wrong. Freak was crystal clear about his conditions and the seller did not do his homework before accepting. 100% seller's fault.

However, I know it's disappointing to not get the statue, but just let it go. Maybe leave a neutral instead of a negative just saying the seller backed out of the agreement.

Yeah, which was why I was surprised, since it his fault, how was I dishonest? lol

What were you saying about a shipping restriction? His auction was for the US only? and you still were able to place a bid?

It seems to me like you were just trying to work the system. The piece couldn't have meant that much to you. It seems like you seen something you liked and you were just trying to get a good deal on it from a newbie that might accidently accept your offer without checking the fine print and shipping cost.

Perhaps I should clarify some points. There was only a shipping restriction at the payment stage. He did not mention once in his description that he won't post overseas. Neither was there an ebay alert saying that the selling won't post overseas, only mentions that the seller might not.

I like how you assumed that the statue doesn't mean much to me when I've been looking for it for a while now.

Again I stress, I made an offer significantly higher than the buy it now price, surely a reasonable person would have read the fine print? lol Wouldn't call it fine print either.

had something similar happen to me as a seller early this year but I went about it the right way and had no problems. Buyer was from Australia, my item was going to cost over $400 to ship to him. But i checked first before I accepted his offer and I checked with him to see if he could pay all that shipping. He peacefully said "ya it was too much" and thanked me for checking first.

Your seller just seemed lazy. its not that difficult to check first. "All that paperwork"? what...takes like 5 min to fill out the customs papers?

Ill agree though, selling overseas is not fun. I rarely do it especially with all the fraud, or worrying about damaged items while shipping. Even with insurance it can be a pain. Its too easy for buyers to get away with stuff, so i stopped selling. Not to mention eBay's fees are just too high for it to be worth selling anything unless you can comfortably make a 20-30%+ profit after fees which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for sharing! :D
On the one hand I completely understand why you're annoyed. On the other hand, you can't presume that the average American knows that Australia is at the arse end of the world and shipping is always horrendously expensive. I wouldn't have argued past the second exchange. Still, he has offended Australia's honour and should be left with negative feedback as a demonstration that we are not to be ****ed with.

Lol, that cracked me up. Thanks Lejuan! :hi5:

Last edited by a moderator:
You left a negative instead of just dropping it?

What is your ebay id so it can be blocked?

:rotfl

The guy called me dishonest, backed out of deal he accepted, isn't it my responsibility to warn other potential buyers?

I mean what does a person have to do to actually get a negative feedback in your books? :rotfl

You left a negative instead of just dropping it?

What is your ebay id so it can be blocked?

But he never called you out directly. To leave a negative feedback seems harsh.

So yes, give us your eBay ID so you can be blocked.:wave

A seller backed out of an offer he accepted. He broke a contract, why would leaving a negative feedback for that be harsh? :dunno

(Being called dishonest was just icing on the cake)

Seriously I would like to understand, have I been unreasonable as a buyer? I'm getting a little confused here. On what conditions should neutral or negative feedback be left?

Is there a collector's code I'm unaware of? i.e. never ever leave a negative feedback unless money was stolen??

:rotfl

The guy called me dishonest, backed out of deal he accepted, isn't it my responsibility to warn other potential buyers?

I mean what does a person have to do to actually get a negative feedback in your books? :rotfl

Taking my money and not sending the item.

This transaction deserved a neutral at worst.

So your ID?

But he never called you out directly. To leave a negative feedback seems harsh.

So yes, give us your eBay ID so you can be blocked.:wave

Don't trust dishonest buyer.

Give us your eBay ID so you can be blocked. Thank you.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Yeah! Send Hugh Jackman over here to give it to him good! :mad:

WAIT! No......send him to me! :D

Perhaps he missed the note attached to your offer since his auction was limited to U.S. buyers only and he wasn't expecting someone outside of the U.S. to bid on his statue. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have read the note on your offer, he definitely should have. However, you should have also followed the terms of his auction, in my opinion. At the very least, I think a message to him asking permission to place an offer beforehand would have been good. Negative feedback seems unwarranted to me.

wow...this confirms my suspicions that this board has many adolescents. look at you acting like a baby and throwing a hissy fit on an online board over something like this. just let it go and move on.

Perhaps he missed the note attached to your offer since his auction was limited to U.S. buyers only and he wasn't expecting someone outside of the U.S. to bid on his statue. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have read the note on your offer, he definitely should have. However, you should have also followed the terms of his auction, in my opinion. At the very least, I think a message to him asking permission to place an offer beforehand would have been good. Negative feedback seems unwarranted to me.
He didn't bid on it or buy it now, he MADE AN OFFER. He was clear in the offer he made that he was in Australia and how much he was offering to pay, including shipping costs. The seller agreed, then changed the deal and eventually backed out. It was totally the seller's fault.

It would have been totally different if he had used buy it now or even bid on the auction, only to tell the seller he was in Australia at the last minute. The seller knew up front he was from Australia before he accepted his offer.

If you really have a problem selling outside the U.S., how difficult is it to say no when someone from Australia makes you an offer? The buyer could have missed out on buying one from someone else in this time because of this transaction that fell through due to the seller's inconsiderateness.

The seller was totally unprofessional and was without honor.

He didn't bid on it or buy it now, he MADE AN OFFER. He was clear in the offer he made that he was in Australia and how much he was offering to pay, including shipping costs. The seller agreed, then changed the deal and eventually backed out. It was totally the seller's fault.

It would have been totally different if he had used buy it now or even bid on the auction, only to tell the seller he was in Australia at the last minute. The seller knew up front he was from Australia before he accepted his offer.

If you really have a problem selling outside the U.S., how difficult is it to say no when someone from Australia makes you an offer? The buyer could have missed out on buying one from someone else in this time because of this transaction that fell through due to the seller's inconsiderateness.

The seller was totally unprofessional and was without honor.

That's a very nice post, and I totally disagree with it. Don't make offers on listings that have shipping restrictions for your country without first asking permission to do so. The seller wouldn't have set up his auction with that restriction if he didn't want it that way. The fault is mutually shared between seller and buyer in my opinion. The seller should have read the offer more clearly and informed himself about shipping to Australia, but the buyer should have followed the rules provided in the listing as well.

Back