Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC_0007_zpsb721659c.jpg

I still need to try and find a base for this, Home Depot by me doesn't have a big enough MDF board. On another note, I'm buying a second one for '89 Batmobile while the other has my Tumbler and Batpod. There's a lot in my area, scoring the second for $30.

So starting on this today, and I forgot to ask a crucial question. How far down do you move the slots when cutting the new ones? I was going to do an inch from the bottom. Thanks for the help!

Very cool Geil!!! :hi5: Glad I gave you plenty of kudos in the video! You deserve it just as much my friend! :1-1:

Oh I was already at work so didnt actually watch the vid but again keep in mind. The idea was from FigureFreak not me. I just did the thread for him as he was dragging his feet ;) lol

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

Oh I was already at work so didnt actually watch the vid but again keep in mind. The idea was from FigureFreak not me. I just did the thread for him as he was dragging his feet ;) lol

Cool man! Kudos to figurefreak as well. I'll definitely mention him when I do my update video one day! :hi5:

This is what you start up with
granas.jpg

This model of coffee table is unfortunately already discontinued in Canada. They still have the dining table which is similar and could be modified for an even bigger display case... (I picked up the table from the as is section for cheap already :D but usually its $300 incl 4 chairs) Well keep an eye for used as I found them being offered on craigslist quite often though many of them the glass top tend to be scratched up :(
So Figurefreak started lowering the magazine shelf which is as simple as cutting 4 measured cutouts into the legs with a dremel or similar tool
Added some kind of metal sheet on top of the shelf and closed up the sides with acrylic panels and finished if with a set of Ikea Dioder LED strip lights and VOILA... what a beauty!
displayn.jpg

I started mine but have yet to finish my MDF cover and acrylic sides. I am using HomeDepot insulation foam tape to close up most of the gaps to make it dustproof. My latest update.. I doubled the setup using now two of these !!!!!
photo4ldh.jpg

Credit to FigureFreaks
it's his TDK setup you see up there but he just never created a separate thread for it so I decided this needs to be out there for others to see and follow. Mine is still the partially done MR MF setup:p

If you want to follow some instructions
read the thread starting from this page from ironed as he has his ideas and progress extremely well documented

Applying the idea to Ikea Vittsjo table by chillipep66
hey guys! took this great idea and applied it to the Vittsjo table. which is slightly smaller. but I have a Granas I scouted out on Kijiji that I will also be outfitting the way you all did. thanks so much for the idea! this is genius. heres the case, currently holding my godfather collection. quick no flash grain pics, sorry!
photoiuq.jpg

more pictures here

More Granas owners:
DarthMagnus Star Wars Granas
037.jpg

source

canonwars
IMG_5658_zpsda8f590a.jpg

source

Kicker
DisplayCase.jpg

source

ironed
02e4e075c8fb9acf9aec5dfd8b98a6f6.jpg

Ironed' walk through on how to put the case together starting here ... are you going to post it on Ikea Hackers? You need to represent!!

bicoid18

Awesome...........

OK After hibernating for a few months again here are finally some pictures of the two LED strips I picked up. I took the following pictures focused on colour and brightness to match what I see as much as possible so to make your decision making process a little easier. Same f stop, shutter speed and exposure so should be relatively objective comparison... should have put up a white piece of paper but oh well maybe next time :p

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/160562259516?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
this is the one I picked up and delivered in under 2 weeks and its very bright in its brightest setting

ok assuming they are all the same strips I ordered this one instead for my real round which does not incl the powersupply so total is a bit more per 5m but its a RF remote :p
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10M-RGB-SMD...airy_Lights&hash=item231e087829#ht_6302wt_960
These are the set of pictures I took of the multicolor 5050s
ledcool.jpg

This is using the cool white setting and has the most light output but still significantly less then 5630. It has a very bluish tint and washes out some of the colours so I will not likely use it (unless I use it for my Terminator setup ;))

ledwarm.jpg

This is using the warm white setting and you can see it is a little less light ouput than the cool white. Might be just enough for Besta. It creates very realistic colours and skin tones and will be my preferred choice.

ledwarmplus.jpg

I combined the LEDs with the wireless LED lights I got from Costco which is more of a cooler (but not bluish) white and I like it even though I am stuck with switching batteries again :p

led5630.jpg

These are the 5630 LEDs very bright and certainly no problem to illuminate a Besta shelf BUT this set is too blue almost crossing into purple. If you can find these in lower K these would be perfect. You can see how bright these are compared to the 5050s oh I aimed these into the wrong direction so they ended up illuminating the front of the case instead of the content. Maybe I come back later with the correct setup if there is an interest here for it. DX doesn't seem to carry a 5630 set that has the warmer K specs but will keep an eye open as this would be the ultimate choice. This set will likely go into my Granas to illuminate the Star Wars vehicles which should look good in a cold almost blue/purple white

Btw I pulled this from this thread but we were touching on the subject of LEDs here for a while so I figure I CC it here as well but if any discussion or question please go back to the dedicated LED thread
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113792

Last edited:
Thanks sad thing even this huge case is not helping me much in opening all that I have :p
Furthermore it made me realize that keeping the figure spaced out is the only way to make the collection look good. Too densely put it just looks like clutter and utter chaos taking away the realism of these which we pay so dearly for

Last edited:
Thanks sad thing even this huge case is not helping me much in opening all that I have :p
Furthermore it made me realize that keeping the figure spaced out is the only way to make the collection look good. Top densely put it just looks like clutter and utter chaos taking away the realism of these which we pay so dearly for

I agree, but what to do? :dunno ...there is just too much stuff. :slap

...I need a bigger house. :wink1:

:)

A third and forth Granas and yes a larger house. If I only had a backyard I would build a dedicated climate controlled insulated shed lol

this is my favorite thread in all of sideshow Forum ;)
i really appreciate the time each of you have spent on managing and posting about this setup.

now i need to invent more space in my room to put two of these...

iron man hall of armor deserves its own coffee table...

oh BTW ikea has the table Back in stock ;)

Last edited:
Oh you got me excited and jump of my seat but not showing available in Canada now USA. The dining table 2-4 seat options are still there but no coffee table :(. Maybe we need I start a petition ;)

thank you Geil and Figurefreaks and also ironed for an amazing post, its back in Europe and other countries, and there seems to be a new sibling, a square shaped coffee table and a rounded one.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80213309/

https://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...Coffee-and-End-Tables-IKEA-W0QQAdIdZ469502836
i saw those two in my local store, going to buy the square one and display Metal gear Rex in it

ill try and take photos in few days when i pass by my local ikea, cheers

i will start building mine next week-end
:blissy

Last edited:
Back