Ikea "Billy" displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How likely is the Billy likely to tip over with the glass doors. I'd only have 1/6 figures in it. I ask because I won't be able to anchor it.

Most likely, can't you anchor them from the sides?

Those glass doors scare me!!

Otherwise but something really heavy like comic book hard back collection on the bottom shelf.

I use Billy Cabinet for my Bowen Designs collection, they fit perfectly on each shelf.

Most likely, can't you anchor them from the sides?

Those glass doors scare me!!

Otherwise but something really heavy like comic book hard back collection on the bottom shelf.

I use Billy Cabinet for my Bowen Designs collection, they fit perfectly on each shelf.

Yea the room my shelves are in I won't be able to hammer or drill anything into the walls. I do want to add doors though.

Dang, really? Are you ALLOWED to hang stuff/anchor furniture? You could always ask the landlord for advice.

That's my biggest fear - ending up in an apartment (I'll be moving into one eventually) where the landlord won't even allow me to put a single nail in the wall, or the walls won't support my shelves/Ikea pieces. Ugh!

I don't know if those 3m strips are anywhere near strong enough. Don't have much experience with them.

How much space do you have? Could you go with something shorter than a Billy? Like, the STUVA, Besta cubes, or even just the shorter Billys? Or is your heart set on the tallest option?

Dang, really? Are you ALLOWED to hang stuff/anchor furniture? You could always ask the landlord for advice.

That's my biggest fear - ending up in an apartment (I'll be moving into one eventually) where the landlord won't even allow me to put a single nail in the wall, or the walls won't support my shelves/Ikea pieces. Ugh!

I don't know if those 3m strips are anywhere near strong enough. Don't have much experience with them.

How much space do you have? Could you go with something shorter than a Billy? Like, the STUVA, Besta cubes, or even just the shorter Billys? Or is your heart set on the tallest option?

Well right now I have one Billy without doors and I need to add another because it's really full. I want to add the doors to keep out the dust. I picked up the Billy because my 2 detolfs were too full.

It's super easy to patch walls with putty. I'd anchor them and not worry about it. You can use a stud finder to find the stud behind your shelf and anchor it with the included L bracket.

I'll share mine, just posted them in another thread. I have more pieces on display then when I took this shot, but you get the idea:

Looking at Billy displayed collections, it seems most are using the Oxberg doors instead of all glass Morliden. The Oxbergs do look classier with the frame but I was wondering how much visibility do you lose because of the frame (especially in the middle of the cabinet with two doors). Is there a big difference? I was originally going to pick up the Morlidens but now am leaning toward the Oxberg doors.

Looking at Billy displayed collections, it seems most are using the Oxberg doors instead of all glass Morliden. The Oxbergs do look classier with the frame but I was wondering how much visibility do you lose because of the frame (especially in the middle of the cabinet with two doors). Is there a big difference? I was originally going to pick up the Morlidens but now am leaning toward the Oxberg doors.

You definitely are losing some visibility. Not a lot, but some. If no one else responds with the exact number of cm/inches lost with the frames, I can measure when I get home. Honestly, it's worth it to me. I only have single Billy units, though, not the bigger one with two doors.

Back