Ikea "Billy" displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obsidian7

Super Freak
Reaction score
Does anyone have any displays using the billy system? I was looking at it today and like that it has full length glass doors and adjustable shelves. Bit concerned about the depth though. I collect mostly 1/4 scale so would need to do some measuring. Does anyone have any pics they could share of their Billy displays?

Many thanks for your post because now I know there are glass doors for them! :hi5: Have two Billy bookcases, think they have a pretty unusual color (black outside and white inside) and I'd love to use them for figures, by now I use only one shelve for an acrylic case.

THink I'll have a look for the door and once I finally finished my mancabe / office at some point I'll post some pictures her, but it could take a while, would also be curious to see some others!

I use billy bookcases. They actually make two depths, one I s the typical bookcase depth (about 10 inches maybe?) and the other, deeper one is about 16 or maybe 18 inches deep. I actually use both in my display. The two closest to the TV are the deeper shelves and the ones on the outer edge are the regular more shallow ones. The thin DVD shelves in between were technically from a different line but the work with the billy system too (all the shelves are attached to each other via included hardware, and also attached to the wall for safety!). The TV stand is also from ikea, can't remember the line though. Also, they make various add ons for the billy system (such as the glass doors already mentioned as well as MANY other door and half-door options). I have the glass doors. I also replaced a few of the regular shelves with optional glass shelves where I installed the lights so they illuminate more of my stuff.

IMG_0719_zps5aa5ab9d.jpg
IMG_0721_zps881709da.jpg
IMG_0723_zpsaa38d246.jpg

Sorry to double post, I think I probably over estimated the depth of the deeper shelves. Maybe 14 inches? I'm sure you could find the actual dimensions on ikea.com

I have one Billy with the doors that I use for my figures, I rigged it up with lights as well, and glass shelves. For some reason I don't think they make the glass shelves for it anymore, though.

The split door does limit your display space quite a bit I've noticed, and no, it's not too deep, it's fine for 1/6 but not sure about 1/4. I usually can display about 24 1/6 figures at a time in it comfortably (four rows, two columns, clusters of three). Any more than that tends to look cluttered. Looking at it now, at 1/4 you can probably still get away with four rows, not sure how many you could display in each window though. So you could probably get at least 8 in there, maybe more.

I would imagine they'd be tough to fit a lot 1/4 PF in there, maybe the HT 1/4 since their bases are smaller (plus no need to worry about sculpted capes if any). Some PFs might be able to fit in.

I think if you go with the deeper version (assuming they're still available - I've had these for about 2 years) then you'd probably be able to fit 1/4 stuff in it. I've got the 1/4 Neca '89 Batman in there as well as the Hasbro big wing TIE Fighter, the old '89 Batcave, the big Indiana Jones Hasbro playset (that was a retool of the ROTS mustafar playset) and they all fit just fine with the doors closed, and they all take up a lot of shelf space. I've also got some pretty big Godzilla figures that fit no problem. The Gigabrain King Ghidorah (the big gold dragon just left of the TV) is massive with huge wings, two long tails and three long necks and even he fits (though he does have to be angled just right).

EDIT
Out of curiosity I checked ikea.com and I can't find the deeper version that I have anywhere. But they still have the standard billy shelf (and the shelf is 10 inches deep on that. I'm still thinking the deeper ones that I have are 14 inches deep). They do still offer glass shelves for the standard size. You just have to click through the "color options" on the extra shelf page.

But you might still be able to find the deeper version in store. I seem to remember there's some things they just don't have online...? I'll be disappointed if they discontinued them as I had plans to buy more in the future and I've yet to find a nice deep shelf that compares at a reasonable price.

I use Billy's, but only for 1/6 scale. I think they look a bit more clean/professional than the detolfs myself. The white color gives off a nice museum vibe. But Bestas are ideal for 1/4 stuff in my opinion.

I have a few Billy Bookcases with glass doors. The ones i have are 11 inches deep and 41 inches tall. They make a taller one that is 79 inches tall. 1/4 scale statues will fit in them depending on the size of the base. I have one 1/4 scale set up in one but i mainly use them for 1/6 scale and smaller figures. The shorter billy can really only fit one 1/4 scale in it so i find it a better use of space to put the 1/6 scale and smaller figures in it. You can probably get two 1/4 scale statues in the taller one. The short Besta i have can easily hold four 1/4 statues. I just wish i could find the old style tombo doors for the Besta. The new doors for the Besta are just not as good for display purposes. As you can see in my pic the frame on the besta door is just too thick and cuts off some of the viewing angle for the lower shelf. I hope to some day find someone selling some Tombo besta doors.

Here are 3 of my Billy bookcases
20150824_224117 by zuko1312, on Flickr

a Billy next to a Besta

20150824_230726 by zuko1312, on Flickr

with the lights on

20150824_231017 by zuko1312, on Flickr

20150824_231030 by zuko1312, on Flickr

I have mostly Billys and after research, planning, diagraming, and measuring I went with them to fit my needs since most of my collection is 1:6.
Click on the below collection link to see them.

Yes they do have adjustable shelves, but the middle shelf is not adjustable so really you get 4 total if you are going to display 1:6 figures. They also have a few door options but yes you will always have the split down the middle if you get the 31" wide case. I still have not got doors for two of my cases (one is not pictured yet). But the thin ones you can see I mostly only have 1 figure per shelf.

I was able to get the 14" deep case (which have my Marvel movie/HT figs) when they were still around and then about a year later when I went to get another one, I could not find them. I emailed Ikea and unfortunately they were discontinued!!! :mad:

Just one note, even with doors there is about 1/4" to 1/8" gap between the door and case, so over time you still get dust in the case. I am planning on putting some weather stripping to solve this, but have not done it yet.

One last note, the cases and doors are slowly starting to go up in price. Back when I got them (few years ago) they were $59 for each case, now they are $79 for a case, and the doors went from $45 to $55...:slap (I hate inflation!)

But love them Billys!

Can the doors be added to an already put together Billy bookshelf or do you have to take it apart?

How likely is the Billy likely to tip over with the glass doors. I'd only have 1/6 figures in it. I ask because I won't be able to anchor it.

I set up a full wall of the studio with 3x Billy. Had to think of sharing the wall space with room for books, movies, and other stuff and the most convenient shelves were Billy.

IMG_8034.JPG

FullSizeRenderl2.jpg

I think they are great for 1/6 figures. And they mix well with books and movies.

Back