1/6 If I were to get only one Iron Man 1/6 figure, which would you recommend?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably going for Mark 46. Sorry, didn't know there was already a thread, as said, haven't really been on the forum.

I'm another one late getting any IM and will (probably) only get one. I knew I wanted an armor with a lot of red, a good headsculpt, and hopefully not a bunch of reviews complaining about issues that I didn't want to deal with.

No regrets at finally settling on the Mark 46 diecast, has everything I wanted and stuff I didn't think about, like just the right amount of weathering for me. There was a good thread on diecast vs. plastic and I read all that. But in the end I wanted that sculpt and kind of liked the idea of metal for an Iron Man fig if I am only going to have one (probably). True the weight is an issue trying to do a flying pose but IMO the Mark 46 is a great fig, amazing detail, love the red.

I'm mainly looking for how iconic it is, accuracy and the face sculpt. I usually don't collect Marvel stuff so I don't really know which figures have good reputation and which don't, help would be appreciated.
Without a doubt Mk46. If you can get past the black eye he has, maybe buy some sunglasses for him which I plan to do, then that's the one u want to go for. Or the Mk47 as it's exact same suit you get sunglasses with Stark head and even some more accessories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to be the ageing hipster in this conversation and put forward the venerable old Mark IV.

5tzpXnC.jpg

3Rjl8ai.jpg

H8wRfGn.jpg

Out of the figures I have, including the Diecast ones, it'd be this one that'd make it out of the hypothetical burning building scenario (after the Sentinel IM figures, but that's another story).

Really what you need to consider though, is whether you want a figure purely for aesthetics, or moreso in terms of engineering and articulation - if you simply intend to put the figure in a cabinet and look it at from time to time, the Diecast figures actually don't offer much for their inflated pricetags in my opinion. The plastic IM figures genuinely feel like model kits - light, hollow, fragile. The Diecast IM figures have a good heft to them (the heftiest probably being the Mark 42), but if you're used to Japanese gokin-type toys the implementation of the metal parts leaves a lot to be desired - it's not exactly intelligently placed and the figures tend to be too heavy for some of their joints, unbalanced and often in need of a stand in my experience. That said, they do offer slightly enhanced articulation and engineering over the standard figures.

In short, do you want one just for the look of the figure, or do you want a good "hand-feel" as well?

I'm going to be the ageing hipster in this conversation and put forward the venerable old Mark IV.

Out of the figures I have, including the Diecast ones, it'd be this one that'd make it out of the hypothetical burning building scenario (after the Sentinel IM figures, but that's another story).

Really what you need to consider though, is whether you want a figure purely for aesthetics, or moreso in terms of engineering and articulation - if you simply intend to put the figure in a cabinet and look it at from time to time, the Diecast figures actually don't offer much for their inflated pricetags in my opinion. The plastic IM figures genuinely feel like model kits - light, hollow, fragile. The Diecast IM figures have a good heft to them (the heftiest probably being the Mark 42), but if you're used to Japanese gokin-type toys the implementation of the metal parts leaves a lot to be desired - it's not exactly intelligently placed and the figures tend to be too heavy for some of their joints, unbalanced and often in need of a stand in my experience. That said, they do offer slightly enhanced articulation and engineering over the standard figures.

In short, do you want one just for the look of the figure, or do you want a good "hand-feel" as well?

Really nice commentary - enjoyed that. I'll just add that I believed the comments on the thread plastic vs. diecast. And typically my figs are in cabinets with occasional playing with and just enjoying the amazing detail. Since the 46 is my only IM, I was stunned just by the gears at the shoulder. For me aesthetics aside, there's the emotional connection to a favorite movie CW. So I also had to think about choosing between something to represent IM 1 or CW. In the end I went with CW - fantastic sculpt, connection to powerful end scene. Had to use points to reduce the cost tho!:horror

Mark 1 still blows me away every time I look at it.Such a great bitsa steam punk vibe to it.Amazed it hasn't had more love in this thread yet.Absolutely gorgeous,hard to believe it'll be 10 years old next year.It was like nothing we'd seen in 1/6 at the time.Many didn't believe it could be assembled en masses as it was.

Yeah when it comes to the red and gold armors, I think the 46 is the way to go. I just bought one and think it looks absolutely sensational (the 45 has a similar kind of sleek look to it, but some of the design elements don't work for me quite as well).

I also just got a diecast Mark 3, but the articulation is not too great and the brighter coloring unfortunately keeps it from looking as badass and amazing as it did in the first movie. I'm hoping to repaint it at some point to make it more accurate.

A non diecast mark 46 would be nice as I only intend to display. Mark 46 is my favorite suit. I heard there was a powerpose mark 46? What do you guys think of it?

5tzpXnC.jpg

3Rjl8ai.jpg

H8wRfGn.jpg

I really like the donut and sunglasses but the proportions are a bit weird? Head is pretty big and the neck is a bit long isn't it?

Definitely your opinion.

The MK3 armor is *the* iconic look, but the figure has flaws. Too short, shoulder gaps, articulation.... Not that it's 'bad' (I like it), but to say it's slam dunk best is subjective.

That's because I didn't explain. You are right on every count, plus the articulation sucks big time. But it's also the best iron man design of all the movies. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I think that all the others lost the simplicity of the design by getting more and more contrived and trying too much (and failing) to renew themselves. MK III, with all its flaws is Iron Man. The others, well they're the "other" suits...

I really like the donut and sunglasses but the proportions are a bit weird? Head is pretty big and the neck is a bit long isn't it?

Can't say I've ever had any issue with its appearance in-hand. It's definitely slimmer than some suits, but then again it was in the movie too.

Don't get any. Stop feeding the HT IM cow.:)

Best post in thread, honestly :lol

The Sentinel Re:Edit figures are better in my opinion, but those are really for a) collectors who like engineering that puts articulation, stability and playability first and foremost, and b) fans of the comics. Also not 1/6.

oZMfn7H.jpg

Can't say I've ever had any issue with its appearance in-hand. It's definitely slimmer than some suits, but then again it was in the movie too.

Best post in thread, honestly :lol

The Sentinel Re:Edit figures are better in my opinion, but those are really for a) collectors who like engineering that puts articulation, stability and playability first and foremost, and b) fans of the comics. Also not 1/6.

oZMfn7H.jpg

Comparing it to the movie suit right now and it's very accurate actually.
My only gripe is the fact that the sculpt isn't great but I guess you could just buy a different sculpt on ebay (but would the scale be right and would the sunglass fit?). Really love the fact that the figure comes with the sunglasses and donut, opens up a lot of posing possibilities. Kind of a selling point for me :lol.

That's because I didn't explain. You are right on every count, plus the articulation sucks big time. But it's also the best iron man design of all the movies. Of course, that's just my opinion, but I think that all the others lost the simplicity of the design by getting more and more contrived and trying too much (and failing) to renew themselves. MK III, with all its flaws is Iron Man. The others, well they're the "other" suits...

I agree with all that. Best "Iron Man", but not the best figure.

:duff:

Back