HP Printer Lawsuit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vader AL

RTR
Reaction score
I received an email from HP regarding this. It is disgusting what they "did" or settled I should say. I remember owning one of their printers and it did MAKE me replace the cartridge before it would let me use it, I'm guessing it was the claim listed below regarding the chip with the timer. Disgusting what they are alleged to have done but I bet most if not all companies do this. From what I've read it was for $5 million but most people won't file, plus you have to have the serial number off the actual printer and I threw mine away years ago. Each person would get like $6....or from what I've read a $6 coupon. Just ticked me off so I thought I'd post it.

https://blogs.consumerreports.org/e...-hewlett-packard-company-inkjet-printers.html

A Proposed Settlement has been reached in three class action lawsuits involving certain HP printers. The first lawsuit (Ciolino) claims that certain HP inkjet printers used “low on ink” messaging technology to indicate that replacement of a cartridge is needed when the cartridge is not empty and is capable of additional printing, and that this technology confused customers into prematurely replacing their inkjet cartridges.

The second lawsuit (Rich) claims that certain HP color inkjet printers used color ink in addition to black ink when printing black text and images without disclosing this to consumers and without providing consumers with the option of disabling this feature, that HP misrepresented and/or failed to disclose the actual page yield for the products at issue (including the true basis for the page yield and cost per page information provided to consumers), and that HP failed to disclose its use of color ink when printing black in connection with stating its page yields.

The third lawsuit (Blennis) claims that HP designed certain inkjet printers and cartridges to shut down on an undisclosed expiration date, and that at this point consumers are prevented from using any ink remaining in the expired cartridge and from using all of the printer’s functions until the expired cartridge is replaced.

HP denies all these claims. The Court did not rule in favor of either party. Instead, the parties agreed to a Proposed Settlement in order to avoid the expense and risks of continuing the lawsuit.

I know my printer does the first one. I just use it until it actually runs out of ink. I never go by the message.

$6.....pffffffft!

I just got a notice for this as well. You don't even get $6 (or less) in money. You get a credit to use at HP shopping site. :lol

Back