How To Beat Collecting Addiction.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it’s a combo of increasing prices and a glut of figures from movies or shows that really haven’t gelled with me. In this current state of pop culture, streaming services and corporations, it’s all about the next shiny version of something that used to mean something. Gotta keep those franchises ticking over! So my interest has dropped off considerably.
I was also lucky to start collecting when prices were easier to manage and Disney didn’t own everything, so my Star Wars collection is about done. My Marvel stuff selectively covers the dream run of the first 3 phases.
So apart from some LOTR and Star Trek TWOK, my purchases are gonna be much more sporadic.
This is me as well. The prices are definitely a bigger deal than ever before IMO. And then there are SO MANY figures being made across the board be it official or third party that it would be hard to keep up anyway. The increase in volume of figures has had the opposite effect on me to where instead of wanting it all, I'm more selective. I try to really consider "ok do I really want this figure in my collection or does it just look cool?" before buying. I personally don't like to keep rotating figures.

I've slowed way down on the new, new shiny stuff. I've gone back to pick up some more old Sideshow GI Joes like I had started last year then stopped. I got sidetracked and caught up in Marvel (which was a no-no since I want to/going to sell most of it now :lol). For me personally, I'm growing to appreciate the select few more and more that actually strike a cord vs having a mass of all the cool things.

I will say, the itch is difficult to resist scratching at times though, especially if you find a good price for something. It may not even be something I was 100% interested in, but if it was cheap enough, I definitely consider it.

It was fairly recently that my interest in 1/6th started waning. More like nosediving. Still not 100% sure what happened, but I've really been digging the "one-piece collection" I have going on to encapsulate everything (see thread "There Can Be Only One").

With the possible rise of Inart and apparent reaction of Hot Toys I've noticed things seem to be getting interesting again, but I don't think I'll ever have more than a handful of 1/6th again, if that. I've recently seen some really great offerings but no "Must have that on the shelf" offerings as of yet -- in spite of spending time here. I think 1/6th is more spectator sport for me these days.

So you're no longer ZE Collector? ;) :lol

I think you bring up a good point, one doesn't necessarily have to have a big surplus of figures/statues/memorabilia, etc. to be a collector. Even a relatively small, but grand collection can be a good collection. So long as one shows interest in this hobby, I feel they're a collector; whether they have one piece, or hundreds of pieces. You hit the nail on the head, spectator sport seems apt; I've read some collectors have stopped or greatly reduced acquiring collectibles, but still engage in discussion and are interested in keeping up with the evolution of the hobby.

I try to really consider "ok do I really want this figure in my collection or does it just look cool?"

You’re so right. I’m in the same boat.

To frame with:
« it’s not because you like a property that you have to collect it… »
« you don’t have to get a physical representation of everything you liked… »

You’re so right. I’m in the same boat.

To frame with:
« it’s not because you like a property that you have to collect it… »
« you don’t have to get a physical representation of everything you liked… »
Yup exactly! Those thoughts also definitely cross my mind when considering a purchase these days. Oddly enough, when I was recovering from a job loss a couple years ago, it was a lot easier to collect b/c I HAD to be more selective; therefore, every purchase definitely had more meaning.

I’ve got no interest in beating my collecting addiction. I have been collecting since I was 7 and sixth scale for ten years and having too much fun.

Whenever I collect money the universe comes into my house, beats me up, and violates me. So I no longer try to. I spend it as fast as I get it. I bought two Omnis yesterday, 200€. Will probably buy another next week. Whenever I do spend money carelessly, strangely my day goes better by every metric. So I don't save. I don't invest. I just spend. Some would call me a schizo addict who believes that buying random useless things affects the cosmic balance. I prefer to think of myself as in tune with the inner mechanism of the cosmos. I don't have an addiction, I have it all precisely under control.

plan-planned.gif

It’s been weeks or months that I’m uncomfortable with my collection. I would like to thanks all of you for the good advices on this thread.
As someone said before, there’s a collecting cycle. And I’m maybe at the end of the journey.
I still love the hobby and will always be interested in but as I said a few weeks ago, it's as if my head were coming out of water or a daydream after an inflammatory period of neurotic accumulation of all the classics of my childhood.
Today I went to visit my father and after the birth of my son, my office became its bedroom and all my stuff went to my former bedroom… which became a warehouse…
Too much stuff, too much boxes.
During this last decade I spent circa 10 000 $ in this hobby. I know there are much much bigger collection but for me it sounds crazy.
I’ve bought cars or motorbike for less than that.
So today I attempted to apply self-discipline.
I asked myself the same good questions.
"do I really want this in my collection or is it just cool to add to the rest?"
And that’s the result of the purge.
and immediately a feeling of well-being, lightness and satisfaction filled me.
😉
Now the purpose is to clean massively and just keep my grails and save for maybe future pieces that I really want and stop completionism…

Attachments

• 6AE02AE6-300A-4772-8E7D-0189C32903B9.jpeg
    6AE02AE6-300A-4772-8E7D-0189C32903B9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I’ve found more enjoyment in my Gundam and Warhammer mini collection than my figures. More proud to show them off since its something I’ve put more time/effort into than buying and setting up.
Before I moved provinces, I sold a good chunk of my 1/6 and 1/12 scale figures and felt good about. Been in my new place five months now and only 1/6 on display is my Darth Maul and Beskar Mando. 1/12, Couple Mafex and Mezco’s… all the classified gi joe/ML/BS etc are jn a box. See what happens when I buy a place with a man cave, with what/how I display and go from there if I’m gonna sell the rest or
Not

It’s been weeks or months that I’m uncomfortable with my collection. I would like to thanks all of you for the good advices on this thread.
As someone said before, there’s a collecting cycle. And I’m maybe at the end of the journey.
I still love the hobby and will always be interested in but as I said a few weeks ago, it's as if my head were coming out of water or a daydream after an inflammatory period of neurotic accumulation of all the classics of my childhood.
Today I went to visit my father and after the birth of my son, my office became its bedroom and all my stuff went to my former bedroom… which became a warehouse…
During this last decade I spent circa 10 000 $ in this hobby. I know there are much much bigger collection but for me it sounds crazy.
😉
It feels scary at first but defo worth it in the end :)

This weekend I discover a guy in Brazil who makes stunning Robocop bust.

I think that since Fred Barton, it’s the best bust I ever saw for an extremely good price ( 750$ VS 3 000 $ for the Coolprops one for reference)

One year ago I think I would have ordered without hesitation. It’s so freaking good!

But as much as I love Robocop, I said to myself.
« ok it’s spot on, the price is really reasonable for the product, but do I really need this?
Ok it looks so cool but do I really want to spend 750$ in a giant bust?
Ok if i had just one prop to get from Robocop what would be this prop?
Without hesitation the iconic Auto-9 »… And I already got it. So I’m fine.

So I feel like if I won a battle against my little addiction.

But as a Batman 89 diehard fan I know my biggest challenge will be the 89 Batmobile from Joost if it pops one day, even if I already got the HT one.
I managed to resist to his Batwing due to space and a price that put me directly out of the game.

But the Batmobile, my favorite vehicle from my favorite movie… it’s gonna be a struggle with myself.

I don't know who said it earlier in this thread, but someone mentioned "collecting money" instead.:ROFLMAO:
It's a zero sum game. You will feel worse when you keep collecting money and refuse to spend it. Worst case money depreciates absolutely.

😉
Now the purpose is to clean massively and just keep my grails and save for maybe future pieces that I really want and stop completionism…
Yeah, sometimes I look at all the boxes and crap from my collecting days with real resentment :lol . I think why did I get all this stuff in the first place? Only to sell it on and have to deal with all the hassle of selling it on.
Some people seem to go through cycles of buying loads of stuff and then cycles of getting rid of loads of stuff. Its weird.

Yeah, sometimes I look at all the boxes and crap from my collecting days with real resentment :lol . I think why did I get all this stuff in the first place? Only to sell it on and have to deal with all the hassle of selling it on.
Some people seem to go through cycles of buying loads of stuff and then cycles of getting rid of loads of stuff. Its weird.
Yep we should just cut out the middle man and stop collecting lol

One of the things that no one has mentioned yet, is the current state of the world the past few years ( I am really not trying to turn this into a political discussion) has been a very hard time for many people. Even if it hasn't hit you or I or anyone else here directly, the ripples to other people we see daily or know or care about is apparent.

When times are hard and more hard times look inevitable and unavoidable, people tend to focus on the small pleasures of life. Or simply gratitude for the basics that we often take for granted. Lots of places in the world right now are struggling with basic clean drinking water. And finding fuel. Or finding food.

When we all rebalance with more gratitude for the blessings we do have, the extra stuff becomes less and less important. And as people get older, that perspective changes. You question what you spend your time on, which is an extension of what you spend your money on.

What matters IMHO is if people enjoy the present and the moment, when they are in the hobby. Did it bring you joy 10 years ago when you first bought it? Then it might be over priced in value today, but I wouldn't call that not worthwhile.

The older you get, the less most people see that they really need.

Yesterday took the time to begin to put some stuff on eBay and on FB.
In one night I took back 600 $.
What a pleasure to clean my collection, clean my head and get back money!
Yeah, that's the good thing about this collection hobby. You can usually make all your money back on these collectibles. Enjoy them for a period of time, keep them in good condition and then sell them on with either a profit or small loss. Most of my HT figs I sell on either break even or sell for more than what I paid at RRP.
I've got about 120 figs left in my collection and am thinking of selling off 1 a month, so in ten years' time I will be shot of all of them, plus I get a nice few hundred £$ coming in every month.
Some of the figs in my collection will be hard to sell though, so I might keep a couple of them. The HT Tech Noir Terminator for example, even if a new improved version was released it would be very hard for me to part with the MMS136.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the good thing about this collection hobby. You can usually make all your money back on these collectibles. Enjoy them for a period of time, keep them in good condition and then sell them on with either a profit or small loss. Most of my HT figs I sell on either break even or sell for more than what I paid at RRP.
I've got about 120 figs left in my collection and am thinking of selling off 1 a month, so in ten years' time I will be shot of all of them, plus I get a nice few hundred £$ coming in every month.
Some of the figs in my collection will be hard to sell though, so I might keep a couple of them. The HT Tech Noir Terminator for example, even if a new improved version was released it would be very hard for me to part with the MMS136.

Something sobering is Delta Force Chung died recently. And he was extremely active not just weeks before whatever happened ended up happening. Some of his stuff is ongoing in auctions right now. He was a notorious bulk/case buyer, and that was true even on the military side of the hobby.

Now, people's personal feelings about DFC aside for a second, if he was still alive, what would he say to the rest of us?

In my hometown, about half a mile away, I saw a crap load of power tools and tools on the curb near a driveway. I stopped and checked, asked if there was some kind of yardsale. What happened was the owner of the house died, his only relatives were normally living in Canada, and the person in front of me, the daughter in law, only had half a week to empty the house to prepare it for sale. In some of the boxes were things like trophies and clearly sentimental photos and mementos. She even said, take the picture frames if you want, they were nice frames, and throw out the pictures if you feel like it, the ones inside ( she didn't want to take them out)

That's what happens when you die. The things you cared about is just stuff someone else has to deal with and wishes they didn't have to do it.

If I died tomorrow, you know what I would say if I could come back for an hour to talk to all of you?

Sell everything but the top 10 figures/sets you truly love. Then spend that money going to do something that gives you passion. Or spend that money finding that passion. Go see a new place. Learn a new skill. Take a course. Go on a river rafting trip. Walk across the country.

Life is just so short. And often it's just plain unmerciful. I would say, if you can, or anyone here, if they can, make as many arrangements as possible to make the "passing" as trouble free as possible for them, if you really do care for them. I saw it with someone I knew. He has a lot of stuff. When he died, his parents had less time to grieve ( quite horrible to outlive your own kids) and were essentially forced to deal with all the stuff on short notice.

I loved my time in this hobby so much, but I haven't touched it in years. It's just boxes stacked on top of more boxes.

But yes, I believe your strategy is correct. Sell it little by little, chip away at it. It didn't stack up overnight, it won't process out overnight.

Clutter is a type of commitment. It's one thing no one ever tells you.

Back