How much is too much for a single 1/6th figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your limit for a mass produced 1/6th scale figure?

• Total voters
Most I ever spent on one figure was $2000
Crazy hey :cuckoo::exactly:

The most I have spent on a new Hot Toys fig is about £300 for Iron Monger
The most I spent on a second hand Hot Toys fig is £350 for Blade.

Depends on the quality and most importantly the character.

exactly!!! :hi5:

To answer the original question - $2601.

Until the next "must have" custom.

hahahaha :goodpost:
But technically it is 4 custom figures if you really think about it ;)

I think it comes down to edition size, character, amount of artists working on it, and complexity of outfit/sculpt.

I personally do not think any hot toy should be over $300 including diecast and all that voice box jazz tech or whatever, simply because it is a factory line made product with unoffical numbers that usually end up above ten thousand per release. Factory paint, decal eyes, production lines farther than the eye can see.... These are NOT custom figures or rare in any way. If you want a hot toy, you better like the character because it is a straight up action figure - not what you would consider "rare artwork".

That is where custom figures differ. Low run numbers, only a handful - sometimes only one - person working on it, hand painted, superior casting with less of a rubbery toy look. It is a whole different world of collecting imo.

So for mass produced, HT type figure? They are unjustified going over $300 imo and anything further is a straight cash grab (in terms of mms releases). DX releases I do feel get more work put into them, so i can see upping the ante for those a bit. A BIT.

Customs is an entirely different realm.
What is an artists time worth to make a figure for you - and a handful of people - full time for months many times on his own? IMO the number with customs could easily stretch to 5-10 grand depending on the artwork presented and nostalgia of the character. That doesn't mean I would spend it, simply because I can't. If I had buckets of disposable income, I would have no problem paying 5-10k for a one off custom of the character of my liking from my favourite artist.

Last edited:

large.gif

and what is your opinion a one off figure that takes sometimes over a year by one artist to make for someone?
$300?? hahaha
if there is one thing this hobby has taught me is that a lot of so called "enthusiasts" have an reprehensible problem with distinguishing art from toys.

a fan of decal eyes, factory paint, fancy boxes and rubber plastic casts i see.
to each his own. :hi5:

There are people who think that James Joyce is literature. For those people, it can't be helped. There will always be a snob factor that will accept nothing short of handmade.

I assume handmade is preferable because it looks handmade? I don't know. I am able to help myself. :duff

I collect both. I have Hot Toys and customs in my display, and as far as character choice and sheer shelf presence - i can tell you right now the hot toys are all bottom shelf. I collect what I want, and the best possible representation of character I can get. So I am not bias in a sense I will buy a HT if it is perfect for the character. I just know that if I solely depend on these companies to produce licenses figures with such likenesses, my display wont have 9/10 of the most nostalgic characters I know and love.
Custom artists wont touch HT licenses for obvious reasons, and in the same sense HT will never get the licenses for figures that custom artists make.
Therefore if you want the character, and you know and communicate and respect the artists making them, and if by chance you are an artist yourself then i know you can appreciate that it is more than just a figure to them. It is their livelihood, artistic expression and life work they are laying on the line. HT has nothing to lose - they have factories making their stuff.

The way I love women, that is art. All else is toys.

Ironic coming from a guy with a Charlie Hebdo pic as his sig....

I'm very liberal with my nomenclature. And my boudoir.

ahhhh cmonnn it was funny!!!! no need to delete your question!!! :peace

If you just have to have a doll, I guess you'll do what you have to. :dunno

:hi5: :exactly:

It's kind of like asking why someone would buy a Ferarri when there are mustangs for 1/10th of the price..... Ferarri - rare hand made in italy. Mustang - production line see them everywhere. Both are cars. Both look good. where is the difference of 300,000$ coming from??? hmmmmmm.
I'm not one to judge the guy who buys the ferarri, props to him! Same with the mustang dude! Both got what they wanted!

Last edited:
Any pics of a $10k 1/6 doll?

I would like to see the painite and fine corinthian leather it is made from.

I would like to see the painite and fine corinthian leather it is made from.

:lecture

It's kind of like asking why someone would buy a Ferarri when there are mustangs for 1/10th of the price..... Ferarri - rare hand made in italy. Mustang - production line see them everywhere.
I'm not one to judge the guy who buys the ferarri, props to him! Same with the mustang dude! Both got what they wanted!

Show me a Ferrari doll.

I would like to see the ivory tusks and fine corinthian leather it is made from.

Rovojin makes some crazy artwork. Rainmans pieces have also sold well over 5k - same with Beto, etc.... 10 is pushing it - those are for the one off's, like this.

His-Name-is-J-Rovo-Jin-16.jpg

But let me guess...... Hot toys could do better? hahahahahha.

:lecture

Show me a Ferrari doll.

A ferarri doll? :dunno gimme some of whatever ur smokin'.
it's a very valid comparison. c-o-m-p-a-r-i-s-o-n.

And I am asking for you to put some meat in the analogy. I have never seen a doll that fits that bill. People can pay all they want for a doll; that does not determine its worth, it only determines its price.

And I am asking for you to put some meat in the analogy. I have never seen a doll that fits that bill. People can pay all they want for a doll; that does not determine its worth, it only determines its price.

its worth is the time, work, dedication, and countless hours spent making them.
what do you make an hour? how long does it take to make a custom figure? 1 figure top to bottom, on say, a Betomatali, rovojin, or rainman calibur level?
I'll tell you what it takes. a lifetime of dedication and work for the craft. They are ARTISTS. Ever adapting and evolving and getting better at their hard work.

lets say it takes a solid month, full time. sculpting, casting, painting, tailoring etc. (it takes longer, but I'm being generous to your favor.)

so a months salary. for a seasoned veteran artists who spent his whole life mastering his craft.
and you are saying its not worth any more than a hot toy? gtfo.

Not seeing 10k there. :dunno

I'm sure HT could release something like that if wanted to for 10k.

It doesnt matter if you see it or not. hell, if you had 10k and wanted that figure, you wouldn't be able to buy it.
would i buy that for 10k? no.... it doesn't strike my interests. So I wouldnt pay 1k for that. That means NOTHING in terms of what it IS worth.
If it was a character I love and done to that standard and the only one in the world and I had buckets of excess income to support the artist - of course I would.
how long do you think something like that takes? lol.
This is the body it was built on.
02-his_name_is_j.jpg

Back