How many would easily pay extra for customized 1/6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra to help Sideshow compensate for the customization costs?

• Yes

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 42.7%

• Total voters
Whats funny in a :monkey2 kind of way is how 2 years have passed for this thread and we are basically still asking the same question to Sideshow about irregular figures.

:lol

I would pay more, but first we have to see if they can get their act together and give us a better basic body and clothing/tailoring.

EDIT: Huh?
This is an old thread?
Oh.

Last edited:
NECROPOSTING.... thats ok. Its still relevant...

I do pay extra. Just ask Les, Josh, and Glenn. :D

Wow, this may have been one of the first posts I made on this forum!! Boy how naive I was back then.:D 3-4x the price??? Was I nuts? :lol

But seriously, if Sideshow wants to charge more for these figures, we need to see the results of investment. Over these past two years, observing the level of quality from various 1:6 manufacturers, Sideshow needs to up the ante if they want to remain competitive for my cash.

They already did one thing right by hiring Trevor Grove. :D

But they also need to improve their costume tailoring. When you see a 1:6 figure on display, of course facial likeness is number one. But what makes up the majority of the ~12-inch figure? The costumed body! It's the detail in the costuming that makes a figure visually interesting and a great display piece. The costume and the headsculpt mutually complement each other 1:1.

I understand that when designing a mass produced figure, of course there are compromises for practicality and cost reasons: including paint application, fabric matching, and the complexities of 1/6 tailoring.

But what I found when decontructing Han's jacket into a pattern was that the level of complexity in the stitching to mass tailor an accurate looking ESB jacket was all there. The problem lay in the design of the prototype--the initial measurements and proportions. Just as a factory reproducing a headsculpt has no say whether the sculptor made the nose too large or the eyebrows too high, they cannot improve upon a tailored prototype that they are paid to replicate.

I hear so often how expensive it is for Sideshow to make new plastic molds for new bodies / hands etc. And I already feel bad enough for the factory painters.

So I say, for my money, give it to the detail oriented artists like Trevor Grove and costume tailors who enjoy the work they produce and see each commission as an opportunity to increase their artistic aptitude to new levels of achievement. And when the work is completed, they can take pride in the knowledge that their hard work is now admired across the globe. :D

I also still think Sideshow should recognize the people who tailor their 1:6 costumes on the Sideshow product pages.

Wow, this may have been one of the first posts I made on this forum!! Boy how naive I was back then.:D 3-4x the price??? Was I nuts? :lol

But seriously, if Sideshow wants to charge more for these figures, we need to see the results of investment. Over these past two years, observing the level of quality from various 1:6 manufacturers, Sideshow needs to up the ante if they want to remain competitive for my cash.

They already did one thing right by hiring Trevor Grove. :D

But they also need to improve their costume tailoring. When you see a 1:6 figure on display, of course facial likeness is number one. But what makes up the majority of the ~12-inch figure? The costumed body! It's the detail in the costuming that makes a figure visually interesting and a great display piece. The costume and the headsculpt mutually complement each other 1:1.

I understand that when designing a mass produced figure, of course there are compromises for practicality and cost reasons: including paint application, fabric matching, and the complexities of 1/6 tailoring.

But what I found when decontructing Han's jacket into a pattern was that the level of complexity in the stitching to mass tailor an accurate looking ESB jacket was all there. The problem lay in the design of the prototype--the initial measurements and proportions. Just as a factory reproducing a headsculpt has no say whether the sculptor made the nose too large or the eyebrows too high, they cannot improve upon a tailored prototype that they are paid to replicate.

I hear so often how expensive it is for Sideshow to make new plastic molds for new bodies / hands etc. And I already feel bad enough for the factory painters.

So I say, for my money, give it to the detail oriented artists like Trevor Grove and costume tailors who enjoy the work they produce and see each commission as an opportunity to increase their artistic aptitude to new levels of achievement. And when the work is completed, they can take pride in the knowledge that their hard work is now admired across the globe. :D

I also still think Sideshow should recognize the people who tailor their 1:6 costumes on the Sideshow product pages.

Agree about 100% on all this. For my money costuming is of #1 importance and for me can aid in forgiving a poor paintjob. A good sculpt or paint job doesn't do much for me if I'm not happy with the costuming and I agree SSC should give more credit to the costumer.

NECROPOSTING.... thats ok. Its still relevant...

I do pay extra. Just ask Les, Josh, and Glenn. :D

He does... :lol

And he is very patient with our delays. :monkey3

Being a customizer myself, I don't mind if something is not perfect... simply because I know I can do things to improve it enough to satisfy my urge to have a great collectible. And cheaper is better if I can fix it. :lol

But really, for those that DON'T customize... I can understand the desire to pay more and get it nicer upon arrival. Just saves you extra cost to ship it to me or Les, pay us, and then wait a few months to get it back.

Agree about 100% on all this. For my money costuming is of #1 importance and for me can aid in forgiving a poor paintjob. A good sculpt or paint job doesn't do much for me if I'm not happy with the costuming and I agree SSC should give more credit to the costumer.

Yes and make the heads smaller and I'm good to go! :monkey5

Back