How many would easily pay extra for customized 1/6 figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay extra to help Sideshow compensate for the customization costs?

• Yes

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 42.7%

• Total voters
Amount of accessories isn't the only thing that determines cost. Dragon and BBi reuse items continually. That is only occaisionally possible for SSC figures.

There is also the cost of the license. Star Wars is probably the most expensive license SSC has ever secured.

And to say that just because Chewie won't come with a lot of accessories means the figure shouldn't be expensive doesn't take into account the R&D required to produce a perfect hairy Chewie nor the increased costs of production to make him.

The license is certainly a determining factor in pricing. With that in mind, I'm not about to pay $200 or even $100 for a "hairy Chewie" because George Lucas is taking a big piece of the pie.

Dragon and BBI do reuse much of the items in their military line but there's also items that are specific to that figure released that are not reused again, or if so, on one or two other figures. I also collect their WWII and Modern military lines. Have done so for years.

As for my limit on a figure, That's just me. I'm a collector of Star Wars items. I've got just about ALL of the Hasbro 12" line figures. Some are amazing. Some are atrocious. But Hasbro also had to pay Georgie his cut of the pie and they offered most of their figures in the $20 price range. Hasbro also had R&D costs on each of their figures and accessories. IF Sideshow will be limiting the ES on their 1/6 SW lines, then I could understand a slightly higher price on the end item. But if they will be manufacturing 10,000+ of each of these figures, I don't see how a $200 Hairy Chewie is justifiable. Again, that's just my opinion.

I'm not knocking Sideshow here. Please understand that FOR ME, spending $200 bucks on an action figure is not an option I wish to take.

To anyone willing to spend $200 into an action figure all I got I say is "more power to you". Bless you and your deep wallets.

Let's not lose perspective here. These are action figures. They should be price reasonably. The $30 premium over the Hasbro 12" line is barely acceptable as is if the intention is to make this product widely accesible. One thing is looking out/understanding Sideshow's cost of production as a company. Another thing is just disregarding our budget for collectibles by saying "we love you Sideshow and you can charge us as much as it takes"

I agree with others that I would rather spend the extra money in PF 1/4. The only reason why I am supporting the SW 12" line is because the cost is reasonably proportionate to the quality. You go into the $200 realm and you lost me.

Wasn't it stated during one of the Fantacular chats that the 1:6 Star Wars figures would be priced between $50 and $100? If true, would the higher range apply to characters like Vader, Chewie, the Droids, etc., or would those figures demand a premium beyond that?

I have minor interest in Star Wars compared to most of you guys, but I am interested in picking up the core OT characters. However, as lcummins said, if the 1:6 figures start approaching the price of the PFs, as a casual fan, I would have a hard time justifying the cost.

On the other hand, I'd pay a more for must-have Uni Monster figures like Ygor, Maleva, and Dr. Pretorious, and as a hardcore fan of the Buffyverse, I'd pay a premium for more complex figures like the Judge. I guess it all comes down to how obsessed you are with your particular obsession.

skip.jpg

I do believe they are intent on staying below the $100 line and someone like Vader or Fett might warrant this price. But they say they can't do Greivous for this price and thus won't do him, and the question was "would we pay more to get figures that wouldn't fall into the this price." I'm thinking Chewie would be one of these, but if they can do a perfect hairy Chewie for $100, I'm all for it.

I don't see any reason why Boba Fett should be $100. His outfit may have a bit of armor on it, but it's not super complicated, and he doesn't need many accessories. Aside from something really complex like a well done fur suit for Chewie or a General Grievous, I don't see why any of these should be more than $60-$65 at most, even Vader.

I am the one who started this thread and I just want to make it clear that I am not about throwing money into the wind. I have bills to pay and a limited budget like everyone else. And yes, I do expect reasonable prices from ANY company that I do business with.

But what concerns me is the following: If Luke costs $50 (using a SSC body with relatively basic clothing, accessories) how in the world are they going to produce a decent looking C-3PO, R2-D2, Yoda, and Chewbacca for a similar price?? I don't think Sideshow has ever produced a 1/6 figure that doesn't use one of their premolded articulate bodies. I have no idea if Sideshow will ever budge from this stance; maybe we will never see these characters because of this practice. But I, myself, cannot imagine a collection of figures without these principal characters! If I will never see these characters in 1/6 scale, then I almost feel like I should not even start collecting at all. So that is why I would rather see Sideshow take the plunge and develop new articulate bodies while selling them at a pricepoint (taking into account economies of scale) that maintains their current revenue. Otherwise, what incentive does Sideshow have to make these complex, but necessary characters?

I could actually see them doing Yoda for a comparable price to Luke. Sure they'd need to develop a new body, but not a partciularly complex one, and the small size would mean less materials, plastic, cloth etc. than the normal sized guys.

Hmm. For Luke, just because we've seen the Medicom and the Hasbro versions, I liked what I saw of the Sideshow version. I'm tempted to, once I get my SS version, to put it in front of the Hasbro version and have a Luke vs doppelganger 'scene'. Yeah, when I saw the $50 price, I paused and considered it... but then considered how much (as an average) I might have to face when it comes to trying for it on ebay. If I can get it cheaper...IF... I would. But looking at exclusivity size (which would be nice to know before it goes on sale) would be a nice deciding factor. As far as Luke's accessories... when he wore this outfit in the movie, he didn't have that much on him anyways. so he was done just right. If it weren't for the license, he may have been in the 40-45 range, like the other figures.

"Hmm. Luke looks pretty cool... but do I want to pay $50 for it? Well, there are only 1000 [hypothetical] of it... and I am an exclusive snob... i'll get it now."

"There're 6000 of Luke, doesn't have as much stuff, detail is ok... and selling for $65-70? Pass."

There are several factors.

As for Boba Fett? IF Fett ...and again, this is a capitalized IF, ... IF Fett had his usual blaster rifle, pretty darn good detail on his sculpt and costume selection, had an ample amount of accessories *, MAYBE even make his armor... 'diecast', a potential $80-100 might be warranted.

No offense to the statue and bust collectors, because I do admire the art and collectivity of these items, but for something like ... a 1:4 helm/crown that goes for $100+ on ebay, or a Ringwraith on a Steed statue from LOTR going for $500-700... some folks would think, dude, that is just..wrong. And yet peope out there still buy them.

It all depends on the people...and the item in question.

Boba Fett doesn't need to be $100, that'd be a ripoff. I think the higher pricepoint figures will be ones who need entirely new bodies. I doubt there's more work needed for Boba than for the $60 Creature, for example.

bluesparrow said:
Boba Fett doesn't need to be $100, that'd be a ripoff. I think the higher pricepoint figures will be ones who need entirely new bodies. I doubt there's more work needed for Boba than for the $60 Creature, for example.

I agree.

Boba and the rest of the clones/stormtroopers should be price around the $50 range. If we are going to nickle and dime for every armor plate covering in their body then we'll be looking at $100 every time. I am sure SS will even out on these at $50 since the variants for these clones are just slight paint variations.

I wonder if the clones will have a face sculpt for a removable helmet effect. I also wonder if they would do that for Boba Fett...

I think removeable helmets was nixed in the interview Brock did with rebelscum. They would have to be too oversized to fit over a sculpted head. I paid $100 for the Marmit Fett and considered myself lucky. And I had to put that together myself, and the body wasn't all that great. $50 is the base price for these things. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to charge a bit more for armored characters. Heck, Hasblow's Jango was $50 and they made 10 times the number SSC will.

I'm quite sure why the helmets necessarily need to be oversized to fit over a sculpted head. The Medicom Vader's mask looks like it is in correct proportion and the head doesn't look too small either.

I could understand removable helmets being a problem on characters with sculpted hair, but it shouldn't be a problem with Vader. After having seen the level of quality on jedi Luke, I can't imagine Sideshow would lower the bar for themselves and not give Vader a removable helmet.

Considering the number of great figures they've givne us already with removable helmets (Red Death, Phantom, Kroenen, Jason, etc.) I'd be surprised if they didn't give us at least a few such figures.

Vader is a must, as is Jango. We don't need a removable helmet on the Troopers, really, and especially not Boba. Let's face it, even thought we know what his Dad looked like, there's no telling what time did to Boba's face! I prfefer the mystery there.

If not removable helmets, I could see alternate heads! How about the Stormtroopers come with alternate Luke or Han heads!!!

Boba absolutely should not have a removable helmet. I don't care what the prequels say, I do not want Jango's head under that helmet.

TheObsoleteMan said:
Boba absolutely should not have a removable helmet. I don't care what the prequels say, I do not want Jango's head under that helmet.

I still have not watched the original trilogy DVDs for this reason.

Good point - Vader, Kroenen, Jason are all bald so a removeable helmet/mask isn't that much of a problem.

I never understood the oversized removeable helmet thing - how'd the costume helmets in the actual film be a normal size if it is so impossible?

I suppose they could just do swappable heads. There'd be an advantage to them doing that, since the same sculpt could be used for boba, jango, clone troopers, etc to save costs.

bluesparrow said:
I never understood the oversized removeable helmet thing - how'd the costume helmets in the actual film be a normal size if it is so impossible?

Because real hair lays down flat when you put a hat or helmet on it, sculpted hair doesn't.

Back