How Evil Is Too Evil: Collectibles and Nazis

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think King Darkness's perspective that enslavement is worse than death is a fair one. It is really up to the individual to decide. I personally would not put certain things on my shelves (including She-Ra dolls, though some MOTU collectors have no such qualms). Other people would not put other things on their shelves. It is all what you personally believe to be OK or not OK. I personally believe that the single most morally unambivalent evil is to kill a person who did not deserve it unjustly. Very close to that is child molestation, then rape. I think slavery is akin to rape in some ways, and is truly an evil, but nothing on the order of completely destroying one's existence without reasonable cause. Others can and do disagree.

Living in the south, I can easily imagine some thinking that having a devil statue is worse than having a klansman, Hitler, or Vlad, btw.

Living in the south, I can easily imagine some thinking that having a devil statue is worse than having a klansman, Hitler, or Vlad, btw.

A friend of my ex wife refused to come to our house cause of my Legend collection :lol

I find it fascinating that religious people think 'the devil' is a red guy with horns :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

You do realize you just initiated Operation lock her up, right?

:D

buddy_christ-3.jpg

I more creeped out by the fanatic TDK collectors than anyone who would collect Nazi figures.

Poop on you!!!!!
Everyone knows the true ass kicker of Nazis is Indiana Jones.

This is true.

A friend of my ex wife refused to come to our house cause of my Legend collection :lol

I find it fascinating that religious people think 'the devil' is a red guy with horns :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

This is hilarious. In my old apartment my landlord refused to go upstairs because I had my Wolf 1:1 bust on a shelf on the second floor so that it was the first thing you see when you walked up the stairs. The first time she saw it she literally screamed out loud and refused to go near it.

See that would be different for us, I wouldn't say we are the church type that go every Sunday or whatever, we are Christian but my wife wouldn't have a problem visiting or seeing stuff like that she just doesn't want it in "our" home :lol

She would be cool with it.

These dio's kick loads of ass.

86242588-L.jpg

200705071341.jpg

86242547-L.jpg

86242528-L.jpg

86242545-L.jpg

86242535-L.jpg

86242562-L.jpg

110080827_BZkYn-L.jpg

109821043_hiiSb-L.jpg

86579838_onuK6-L.jpg

These are probally the best dio's done ever in 1/6th scale.

more--> https://vincesgallery.smugmug.com/Hobbies

And P.S don't get the SA mixed up with SS, SS did most of the real slaughter.

Now I think that set up is amazing.
I nothing against a collection like that at all.

Now I would never own a Hitler figure for personal reasons, but if somebody did, I would never judge them for it. I would also hope to see a Churchill or a Roosevelt in that collection too, maybe even a Stalin, and he was as Evil, if not more so than Hitler.
I did think that if Landa was made by Hot Toys it would be in bad taste, but I guess he is a fictional character and I was misguided in my reasoning.

Now I think that set up is amazing.
I nothing against a collection like that at all.

Now I would never own a Hitler figure for personal reasons, but if somebody did, I would never judge them for it. I would also hope to see a Churchill or a Roosevelt in that collection too, maybe even a Stalin, and he was as Evil, if not more so than Hitler.
I did think that if Landa was made by Hot Toys it would be in bad taste, but I guess he is a fictional character and I was misguided in my reasoning.

I don't think it would be in bad taste. Landa, even though he was a Nazi, was still an awesome character.

I think it depends on the perspective of an individual, but I can dislike and hate a particular historical person, but respect that those events happened and especially respect the sacrifice people made on both sides of the wars, for example.

Some people owning a Hitler would be an act of respect to history, other people owning it could be an act of worship to Hitler...thats up to the individual and I think people have the right to choose what to do with an item.

From a corporate standpoint, a company has a choice to make the figure and they can live or die by that decision from a PR front. I think over the course of a companies' existence you can probably see what their intent is.

I would probably boycott a company that made ONLY Nazis or that focused to much on "glorifying" Hitler or Nazis. But the 1/6th companies I know of are very respectful to the historical aspect.

I've been looking through this all, and I gotta say Wofford really has the best look at this (IMHO).

First off, let me say that I'm deeply affected by the Nazi atrocities, AND the Russian horrors, which don't come to light nearly often enough (if anyone hasn't heard of the massacre at Katin, please look it up. You'll never look at WWII the same way again). My great-grandfather was shot in the back by a stray Russian bullet and dumped in a mass grave in Russian-controlled Poland. We, to this day, have no idea exactly where. It HAPPENED. There's no viewpoint, it HAPPENED.

That said, I was a history minor in college, and that really taught me to look at things from multiple perspectives. History IS WRITTEN BY THE VICTOR. There is no good guy, no bad guy. No fact that one way of life is better than another, just opinions. I highly recommend the works of historian Howard Zinn to you all - what he does is look at the history of the US from the perspective of the "losers," the Native Americans, the South, the revolutionary poor. You may not agree with his views, but they show just how much is twisted in history classes today. We're taught black and white stories - Washington and Lincoln are heroes, Hitler is the bad guy, etc. The U.S. is never wrong. And that's a load of bull. Tell that to the Japanese-Americans who did nothing wrong, yet were put into Work Camps during WWII. And while they weren't death camps like the Nazis did, it was still taking people's freedom. And there's nothing OK about that. Not to mention the way the US treated anyone who had ANY communist sympathies in the 50's. Went to a meeting, even by accident? Get locked up by McCarthy's goon squad. The US supressed freedom in Vietnam, Korea, Cuba...all because we didn't agree with their viewpoints.

Was Hitler crazy? YES. But what the rest of the world did to Germany following WWI was wrong. WRONG. Oppressed an entire country, making it ripe for a psycho like him. Not to mention if you opposed the govt they treated you just like one of those oppressed peoples (Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc). You really think all Nazi's were bloodthirsty killers? I don't. A lot of them were just young men who felt like they had no choice. I feel bad for them, and the way they're depicted. A lot of them did horrible things, no doubt. But a lot more still just wanted to serve their country and didn't know what that entailed until it was too late. The same can be said for the Russians, including, perhaps, the ones that killed my great-grandfather.

I know I'm rambling here, but I guess what it boils down to is, history is history. We shouldn't forget it, but we should never say this guy is bad and this guy is good. Because you didn't walk in their shoes. You don't know what life was like. And you never will. It's easy in the movies to look at good guys and bad guys. But don't apply those rules to history, because REAL LIFE doesn't work that way.

Personally, I think only a beast like Wolf Larsen from The Sea Wolf would believe there is no "wrong" and that humans are all yeasty things or whatever he calls them and each human action is valued the same no matter the reason or reprocussion.

History is history, I agree, but lets not say that victory makes things right. Its up to individuals to weigh for themselves what to think of historical events.

Personally, I know what parts of my cultures history to be proud of and what parts to be ashamed of. Just because I call myself American or Coloradoan or whatever doesn't mean I've necessarily accepted what got me here as "right".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back