How do you feel the likeness is on the Boromir 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How close do you think the Boromir 12" is?

• Exact

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Pretty Close

Votes: 57 52.8%
  • Needs more work

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Really not even close

Votes: 10 9.3%

• Total voters
While I do like alot of Oluf Hartvigson's work, he seems to be on a bushy eyebrow kick. Between Boromir and Qui-Gon, he really seems to like the thick eyebrows. I don't understand how he could come up with fairly accurate face sculpts and goof the eyebrows. It is clear from the comparison pics that Boromir does not have thick eyebrows. I don't think it is just the paint application either. You can see that the eyebrows are sculpted that way. From the actual pics, it is clear that he has straight eyebrows. Same goes for qui-gon too. Hopefully they will be refined a bit.

Disclaimers: Yes I know it's just a figure. Yes I know that no likeness will be perfect. No I could not do a better job myself. Yes I know that it may look different in different lighting and angles. And yes I think it is the best poseable 12 " likeness we have seen.:rolleyes:

That all not withstanding, I think the paint apps are way too heavy on the facial hair as others have mentioned. If they were to tone that down and make the eyebrows less thick, I think this boromir would be as close to perfect as you could ask for. To Oluf's credit, the general outline of the eyebrows seems to be accurate, just not the blotty looking thickness.

Batty said:
He looks nothing like Sam Jackson! What is wrong with SS? When will they ever learn?

Oops. Wrong thread.

And I'm guessing his arms will be too long. Oh....wait....:lol

Though I don't collect LOTR, I love the movies so I've been keeping up with the 12 inch figures being announced... I think the likeness is there but that he looks a bit too old, and I think that's what makes him remind me so much of Theoden.

I think the problem is with the eyes/eyebrow area, and I think his beard is too thick (but that's more minor).

So far I think the best out of three is Legolas. He looks fantastic.

Last edited:
student_toe5 said:
isn't it funny that alot of people criticize the figure yet they end up getting it :lol

Not really. Constructive criticism of the prototype lets SS know what we think. Even if it were released "as is" its still the only show in town so to speak.

Batty said:
Pixletwin- Cool new avatar! The man is a musical genius.

Thanks for the compliment. Yes he is! I love Brian Wilson. I spent almost 2/3 of my semester remixing and mastering the original SMiLE sessions, which was alot of fun! (and i still managed to make the Deans list)... :D

I think the likeness is there, but is a little off... I'm still very happy and I'm sure that the pics we see on ordering day will get me more excited about this figure. I've wanted a good Boromir figure for a while, so I can't be upset about it at all. He looks pretty close, as I know how hard it can be to sculpt beards and such...

I'll be getting it no matter what... though it's gonna be tricky on Tuesday.. :google

pixletwin said:
Thanks for the compliment. Yes he is! I love Brian Wilson. I spent almost 2/3 of my semester remixing and mastering the original SMiLE sessions, which was alot of fun! (and i still managed to make the Deans list)... :D
What?! SMiLE is a brilliant piece of work. If you don't mind, I would love to hear about what you did. If you want, PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

Yes, it's the best 12 inch likeness we've ever seen of this character, but on the other hand this is going to be the most expensive 12 inch figure of this chracter there shall ever be (in north america anyway) I don't know how many of you here are wealthy, but don't forget these figures aren't cheap and a certain level of quality should always be expected.

This figure's likeness should be compared to Strider's, which is damn near perfect in my opinion. And when Compared Boromir just doesn't hold up. I however will still be buying him because I expect his gear to be outstanding and worth the price of the figure. I just hope his horn isn't part of the exclusive only.

Based on the ONE pic we have of a PROTOTYPE, I would say that this piece is in between Legolas (Damn near Perfect), and Strider (Pretty Good). I'm still reserving judgement for more pics.

carbo-fation said:
I think he looks pretty good, except he looks a lot like Theoden. I'll still be getting this regardless. :chew

Theoden is EXACTLY what I thought if at first when I saw him too...

When I saw the preview pic, I couldn't even recognize the character!

His eyebrows should be just barely visible, as shown in the reference pics. Infact, the eyebrows need to be resculpted. They are curving too much. Also, those dark tones need to be taken out of his beard.

I don't know why, but his face looks like he's having an allergic reaction to a bee sting. Reminds me of the Han sculpt.

051606boromir2_01.jpg

Starting to feel the sculpt is better than I had originally thought...

Back