How do you afford everything?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agent0028 said:
Kenny Rogers, the gambler. :D

You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin' done.

Words to live by really.

You gotta know when to flip 'em,
Know when to scalp 'em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run.
You never count your money,
When you're postin' on the Freak's board,
There'll be time enough for countin',
When the eBay'ing is done. :monkey3

Gruson said:
You're in college so don't even think about buying high end items!

Get your education and find a nice paying job. Patience.

It's not worth going into any debt at all, especially for statues. If you cannot afford, don't buy it.

Be smart now and rich later.

Zero debt here, have never had any, never will.

I only found SS 8 months ago, thankfully I was financially stable at the time. I'd be miserable to be in college and not have the money I have now and miss on all these great items.

I have two credit cards that I use on a regular basis: one for my collecting habit and one for real life necessities. Every month I pay them off completely. I'm in no debt and it keeps me in check from spending too wildly... not an easy task.

i rob a bank every month :cool:

j/k people.....I work full-time and go to school full-time. Not an easy task.

Lets see, a great paying job helps and I have one. Also, I revolve the collection by selling of the crap I don't want anymore on E-Bay to pay for the stuff that I do. Its honestly been years since I have actucally had to take any money from my take home pay to actually pay for something I want for my collection. All my money comes from what I make on E-bay.

Example, I happen to win a PF Kirk from the Sideshow site. I don't collect PF items so off to E-Bay it went. I landed about 200.00 plus for that item and in turn invested in some Hot Toys items that I wanted.

buffy-collector said:
How do you afford everything?
Im still at collage so I dont work,So its harder for me.

You can sell blood. The stuff is just sitting there, might as well put it to use.

I think at some collages you can also sign up and get paid for medical experiments.

Keep in mind ya have an extra kidney, as well.

College Scholarships. If your grades are good enough you can have quite a lot left over for collecting. Just study hard and look for any scholarship you qualify for!

'Course it doesn't help me much in the summer when I'm not in school, so I have to get a job....

Booyah! said:
You can sell blood. The stuff is just sitting there, might as well put it to use.

I think at some collages you can also sign up and get paid for medical experiments.

Keep in mind ya have an extra kidney, as well.

But then where do you get the beer money? I had a few friends who did the blood thing for beer money.

Simple answer:
I can't afford everything. You have to pick and choose what you might like, remembering that you really don't NEED anything that Sideshow offers. I actually went a little into debt collecting in college, and boy was that a mistake! It took forever to pay off everything, and I am currently rebuilding my credit. I also try to only order what I can afford when it becomes available. If I can afford it when it is ordered, I set the money aside, and try to not have eyes larger than my checkbook. This way I resist the temptation to go into debt again. I did get a little order crazy with the Boba PF and some other items, especially with all of the positive feedback on things here at the board, but I just cancelled a few items, and will have to keep my collecting focused!

mfoga said:
But then where do you get the beer money? I had a few friends who did the blood thing for beer money.

True....hmmmm.....oh yeah, hit the sperm bank for beer money! :D

Booyah! said:
True....hmmmm.....oh yeah, hit the sperm bank for beer money! :D

That's a great idea! Getting paid for ......... well you know.

I could be rich.

lcummins said:
WE DON'T!!!!!!

But, I do what I can by selling off my 30+ year collection of non-sport trading cards, spending every spare penny from my paycheck, and not spending money on other things... like food and rent! :rotfl

Yeah that and I make my wife work too :rotfl

Now if I could only get around these child labors laws I could start bringing in four more paychecks:D

Bannister said:
Wise words.

Yep Gru has some very wise words indeed. I learned this the hard way. Just now beginning to recover. Now I try to spread everything out when I can and pay for everything as it comes. No more credit for me, got to keep it in the here and now.

Many places will let you cash in some of your vacation. I'm cashing in a week to cover the Jabba set up. Also most of this isn't coming till 07 and our tax returns are right around the same time.

Jango56031 said:
Many places will let you cash in some of your vacation. I'm cashing in a week to cover the Jabba set up. Also most of this isn't coming till 07 and our tax returns are right around the same time.

I WISH!!!!

I've got almost 20 days saved up! Two extra pay checks would make for a great week in San Diego in July :monkey3 .

I didn't "afford" it all for a while. I used credit cards. No more. I now carry no credit card debit. I have a mortgage, car payment and I pay my card off at the end of the month.

My fiance pays all the smaller bills like power, phone, Direct TV and such so I can afford to spend a little more than I could if I were single, but I still don't get EVERYTHING I want like the 1:1 scale busts due to price and space.

KitFisto said:
I didn't "afford" it all for a while. I used credit cards. No more. I now carry no credit card debit. I have a mortgage, car payment and I pay my card off at the end of the month.

My fiance pays all the smaller bills like power, phone, Direct TV and such so I can afford to spend a little more than I could if I were single, but I still don't get EVERYTHING I want like the 1:1 scale busts due to price and space.

Ah, the good ol' days. It will be interesting to see how being single affects my collection. I'm sure it won't be in a good way.

Wise words Gru.
I think what I will do is this:

Get Jabba and his palace with xmas money.
Get other stuff I want for xmas
Then get anything I still want for my bday in march.

And then this year I have to buy about 6 dst buffy figures ect

And pay of mum for buying me my leia pf.

My mum and dad both work full time on great jobs so they help me out a lot.
Also how do you fit everything in your room?

I have a double bed,a computer,tv and dvd on a chest of draws and a wardrobe and a book case and shelfs and im running out of room:rolleyes:

I want to sell on Ebay but how much it cost to list stuff?And how do you no stuff sells?I want to sell some figures and disney snow globes.

I always wondered why do people pre order...
I just get things when they come out.

Im not getting as many 6inch buffy figures anymore,I just get one of each character,unless its buffy then I get more.
I would rather hae less stuff that are bigger and expensive,than more what is cheaper

Back