How common is the "Red Ring of Death"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Fatso

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 360 Arcade version fairly soon and ever since the 360 first launced several years ago, I've heard countless problems about the Red Ring of Death and was wondering how common this is and if it's still a problem with newer 360's?

I had one from midnight launch and it lasted until last week without a problem. I bought a new one the day after my original crapped out and it's going strong so far.

The problem is pretty much a given in any all X-Box systems that were manufactured before late 2008. Even then there is no gaurantee the problem has been solved its just speculation.

The odds of it happening no gaurantee one way or another. My first 360 never showed any signs of the red rings only lasted a year. My current one was manufactured this past July so I hold a tiny bit of hope that it would be in a batch that was fixed.

touch wood I've never had it and I've owned two consoles since launch day.
The first the normal one , the second the elite.
The first broke becasue I tried to modify it.

I've had mine for about 10 months now and have had zero problems. *knocks on wood*

Yeah, the warranty lasts for 3 years covering the Red Ring of Death, I bought mine two summers ago and it died in September, the one I have now supposedly has a new chipset so it should run better.

If you buy one that's been manufactured like within the last month, they just started putting out Xbox consoles that have newer chipsets with smaller processors that run cooler and with less power (meaning they are more reliable). You should be fine with the new Xbox Arcade consoles, since they've just been made, although I heard they're going to start having 256MB onboard some newer ones instead of including a memory card (for the NXE update).

over heating of the system causes it. How long they take widley depends on how busy they are with repairs. I think the turn around for repairs is better now.

Back