1/6 Hot Toys Wonder Woman exclusive

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this has zero to do with the TV Wonder Woman and HT is just trying to bank on their current product.

035127f65a707be6d1b8c83090154f61.jpg

278623889155bb89658c74e94893cb69.jpg

Except the fact that this background is supposed to remind us of the 1975 TV show intro.

You are correct that HT is banking on a repaint but to say it doesn’t have anything to do with the TV show is ignoring the obvious. No one has to approve of this version but it is gauging interest in a potential Linda Carter figure. If that one was made it would require a separate license and approvals. This is their way of getting around it and trying to appeal to those fans.

Figure let down by Hot Toys sexist policy of rooted hair mandatory for female figures.

What sexist policy is that? There have been many HT female figures with sculpted hair. And how exactly is it sexist?

They'd mess up Lynda's likeness anyway. They just can't seem to sculpt women properly, they always end up looking like blank doll faces.

edit - I'm already going to contradict myself - I've actually been impressed with their Carrie Fisher sculpts overall. With my first statement I primarily have in mind all their Black Widows and Scarlett Witch

They'd mess up Lynda's likeness anyway. They just can't seem to sculpt women properly, they always end up looking like blank doll faces.

edit - I'm already going to contradict myself - I've actually been impressed with their Carrie Fisher sculpts overall. With my first statement I primarily have in mind all their Black Widows and Scarlett Witch

I tend to agree but will say the first Harley Quinn was an excellent likeness to Margot.

What sexist policy is that? There have been many HT female figures with sculpted hair. And how exactly is it sexist?

They only do sculpted hair when rooted hair can't work. The default hair for women is rooted. They never do rooted hair on the male figures. Thank God for that.

I think she looks great.
I own the BvS one but passed on the JL one cause I didn‘t want to buy another one just for a different head.
So this one is def. something I would buy.

SCULPTED HAIR
Wonder Woman Training
Harley
Harley Prisoner
Jynn Erso
Jynn Pilot
Leia
Hoth Leia
Bespin Leia
Endor Leia
Abigail whistler Blade II
Jill Valentine Biohazard RE5
Jill Valentine BSAA version
Alice RE Afterlife
Ada Wong RE biohazard 4
Ada Wong RE biohazard 6
Sheva Alomar
Belle BATB

ROOTED HAIR
Wonder Woman BVS
Wonder Woman JL
Wonder Woman Comic style
Black Widow IM2
Black Widow A1
Black Widow WS
Black Widow AOU
Black Widow CW
Black Widow IW
Angelica OST
Baby Doll SP
Gamora GOTG
Gamora GOTG2
Pepper Potts
Batgirl Arkham
Jack sparrow DX15

I may have missed a few but it doesn’t seems like rooted hair is the default. I’m still waiting to hear why you think that’s sexist?

Last edited:
i like it- in hand it may look nicer than the pics so far- not going to buy it unless it goes cheap later on...most likely it will be a high priced exclusive in the secondary market

SCULPTED HAIR
Wonder Woman Training
Harley
Harley Prisoner
Jynn Erso
Jynn Pilot
Leia
Hoth Leia
Bespin Leia
Endor Leia
Abigail whistler Blade II
Jill Valentine Biohazard RE5
Jill Valentine BSAA version
Alice RE Afterlife
Ada Wong RE biohazard 4
Ada Wong RE biohazard 6
Sheva Alomar
Belle BATB

ROOTED HAIR
Wonder Woman BVS
Wonder Woman JL
Wonder Woman Comic style
Black Widow IM2
Black Widow A1
Black Widow WS
Black Widow AOU
Black Widow CW
Black Widow IW
Angelica OST
Baby Doll SP
Gamora GOTG
Gamora GOTG2
Pepper Potts
Batgirl Arkham
Jack sparrow DX15

I may have missed a few but it doesn’t seems like rooted hair is the default. I’m still waiting to hear why you think that’s sexist?

They only do sculpted hair on female figures if the hair is in a ponytail, two buns on the side like Leia or in some way styled that rooted hair won't work. You never see the male figures with rooted hair. Someone at hot toys obviously decided that female dolls must have rooted unless the hair style make it impossible. If Thor was a female character it would have had rooted hair.

I don’t see why it really matters honestly and I don’t see it as sexist. I think it’s just a matter of more commonly figures in this scale have traditionally had females with rooted hair. I think it adds something to the female characters that makes them stand out a bit more so I don’t really mind rooted hair. I think male figures you wouldn’t do rooted hair for because there aren’t as many male characters with long hair that it would look good with.

b180c9ca5411b71b31c19add8f94743c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this might have to find its way to my collection. Just looks awesome with the bright comic book colors in my opinion. Much better than the drab, muted outfit she wears on film.

Oh goddam that's the money shot right there. Okay SS where's the preorder? I need this as my Wonder Woman in my collection

They only do sculpted hair on female figures if the hair is in a ponytail, two buns on the side like Leia or in some way styled that rooted hair won't work. You never see the male figures with rooted hair. Someone at hot toys obviously decided that female dolls must have rooted unless the hair style make it impossible. If Thor was a female character it would have had rooted hair.

Tonto has rooted hair and so does the DX15 so it’s not never but when warranted.
There are more sculpted hair females produced by Hot Toys than Rooted hair figures so rooted is not the default. It is more of a recent phenomenon because the technology has advanced to more realistic aesthetics.

Just like Mike86 stated, there are less male figures with long hair and Hot Toys have used sculpted hair on figures like Thor but the recent DX15 is a combination of the two. Sculpted hair does look good for long flowing hair but it hinders articulation and diminished the realism that rooted hair gives. Thor most certainly should have had rooted hair and I think Dark World, AOU, and Ragnarok figures would have looked better if they had it.

But choosing rooted hair for females to increase realism, aesthetic, and articulation doesn’t prove it’s sexist. That’s just projecting a hypothetical bias onto their company without evidence.

Last edited:
I like it but I ain't gonna buy any more of these rubber figures you can't pose without worrying the skin will deteriorate. Those long forearm guards don't look good with this costume either. Put the head and clothes on an articulated figure with joints and Daddy will think about it...

Tonto has rooted hair and so does the DX15 so it’s not never but when warranted.
There are more sculpted hair females produced by Hot Toys than Rooted hair figures so rooted is not the default. It is more of a recent phenomenon because the technology has advanced to more realistic aesthetics.

Just like Mike86 stated, there are less male figures with long hair and Hot Toys have used sculpted hair on figures like Thor but the recent DX15 is a combination of the two. Sculpted hair does look good for long flowing hair but it hinders articulation and diminished the realism that rooted hair gives. Thor most certainly should have had rooted hair and I think Dark World, AOU, and Ragnarok figures would have looked better if they had it.

But choosing rooted hair for females to increase realism, aesthetic, and articulation doesn’t prove it’s sexist. That’s just projecting a hypothetical bias onto their company without evidence.

I have never seen rooted hair look better than sculpted hair. If always look cheap and more toy like. It's sad the amount of frizzy haired in hand pictures people post here claiming it looks great. The new black widow in hand pictures look horrible. Whenever hot toys start making more male figures with rooted hair I will save money.

I think they should have gone with sculpted hair on the Black Widows where her hair was shorter such as the original Avengers film and Infinity War. It wouldn't have limited posing by much, if at all. It doesn't help that they can't seem to nail her likeness and keep giving her the most blank expressions possible thereby completing the Barbie doll look.

Very rarely can a mass produced toy have realistic, rooted hair. If they haven't mastered it, I would prefer sculpted hair across the board, posing options be damned.

Back