1/6 Hot Toys Wolf Predator 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys put WAY too much thoughts into the Predator movies, especially about a Predator's ears?! Just enjoy the movie for what they are. I know some people hate the AvP movies, but if you enjoy them, that's all that matters. And if you enjoy all the Predator movies, that's even better. I like them all, and I personally love Wolf. Can't wait to add 2.0 to my collection.

Or a bad screenplay...
that is without question :) the screenplay was made without any love for the characters. just some stamps. it could have any other two fantastic species, and nothing would change.
but i like in-universe explanations when they fit. and this fits.

You guys put WAY too much thoughts
sorry, a downside of being sapient.

Just enjoy the movie for what they are.
for me that's difficult, as they are mostly dull and somewhat dumb. title creatures and their specifics are the only thing that interest me in predator movies.

that would contradict the very plot of P1 and P2 time and place choice. "it happens only in hottest years" - P1, and temperature announcement in P2 - 100 or 110 F, i don't remember exactly.
And yet, the Predator liked to hang out in a freezing cold slaughterhouse, Keyes' liquid nitrogen had no effect on him, and the ship was filled a dry ice type fog that clouded being able to see Harrigan's lower body in Predator vision. The stuff that comes out of the mask tubes when they unmask could be some kind of coolant. They hunt in the heat for the challenge of it?

predator liked to eat cow meat, not hang out there, and dry ice is the material used for filming the scene, not the supposed substance. predator love for heat is openly stated in both movies, while supposed predator love for cold is only brought in to explain a mistake in visions. from what i understood from additional materials, colored visions in P1 were actual picture, while in P2 they used a black-and-white equipment and then colored it. i might be wrong about it, watched it too long ago and with a lot less ability to understand English speach without subtitles.
where i live i survive in temperatures from -25 C to +35 C, and i take a vacation in hottest time because i like it most, not for the challenge of it.
there was nothing about challenges in P2 commentaries, only comments about partying and having fun. also remember the slogan - about a few days to kill.

there is also another mistake with P2 vision that doesn't fit events of the movie.
Keese didn't try to track predator with thermovisor. to me it means that a predator is a cold-blooded species, to some people who i discussed it with it means that his cloak also hides the body heat (which i don't agree with, as Keese would still track him, as predator doesn't always use cloak).
but in some shots predator hands are clearly red among other things blue, and armor yellow

JvmQCwd.jpg

u6F9bpJ.jpg

and sometimes they are blue, with armor blue or black.

5zCfHfc.jpg

Onvabdd.jpg

he acted cloaked in that scene.

in any case a hand of a temperature different from surrounding conditions is a mistake, if Keese is not considered dumb to track predator for scent but not for temperature. i believe that he had to try, but failed.

it was even bigger mess in P1 - predator has blue skin where a big mass of his palm is opened - and red zones where thin gloves are.

e4JI4th.jpg

VMYam1c.jpg

6q7prxw.jpg

a red hand with a scorpion doesn' say much, because it has no gradients at all, and at the same time the scorpion changes colors. that scene shows a predator applying filters independed of temperatures, like he did in P2.

Wg8hDN6.jpg

HKP8ssU.jpg

so predator vision contains so many mistakes that anybody can explain them however they want. P2 maskless vision is just the mistake that everybody heard about.

for me it is a cold-blooded creature - they depend on either surrounding temperature (all snakes, frogs, lizards), or amounts of eaten food and freed energy (i guess it's true for same creatures), or muscle vibrations to artificially raise temperature (some snakes or just one kind, i can google that article i took it from), or altogether. thus a predator prefers heavy acting in hot environments or sticking for rest to a place with a lot of food. P1 becoming slow to react in a fight with Dutch (too many movements) or P2 becoming slow and badly reacting/losing grip of the situation in a freezer fits it.

other people have different explanations. i like mine most of all i've heard, so i stick with it.

sorry for so much offtop.

:goodpost: P. I always enjoy reading your thoughts on Predator and Terminator. Your ideas always get me thinking about these two franchises in new ways and that's really cool so thanks. I agree that it would make sense if Predators were cold blooded.

i don't see who leaves rep points anymore, but now i guess it was you, thank you for that and for the kind words :)
though some people i discussed it with argued that a cold blood creature cannot develop an intelligent brain. i don't understand anything about the subject, but for an alien organism it's easily decidable through any preferred way, be it developing in climate of high and constant temperature, or developing an organ that preserves and distributes heat received from digesting food (predator have a more complex head construction with definitely some addition organs around the cranium itself), or any else.

that would contradict the very plot of P1 and P2 time and place choice. "it happens only in hottest years" - P1, and temperature announcement in P2 - 100 or 110 F, i don't remember exactly.
found it in subtitles:
and there was no bright sun when they fought, it was night or early morning.

Doesn't necessarily contradict the plot. They may prefer hot hunting environments because it brings out the toughest, most hostile game. But for their own living/feeding/lounging conditions, they could prefer something cooler. I only ever saw their being drawn to heat as a prerequisite for good hunting, not a preference for anything outside of the sport.

hey P., ever given any thought as to why the inside of the predator's mouth is pink, yet he bleeds flourescent green, as opposed to red? always wondered if there was some analogous example in nature, or if physiology wise, there's not really a link between our tissues being pink and blood being red.

hey P., ever given any thought as to why the inside of the predator's mouth is pink, yet he bleeds flourescent green, as opposed to red? always wondered if there was some analogous example in nature, or if physiology wise, there's not really a link between our tissues being pink and blood being red.

Originally, the Predator's blood was supposed to be orange. They had to change it during the shoot due to technical reasons and that it didn't look right in camera. (To the film crew's initial dismay, too.) This could explain the inner mouth colors to an extent.

That said, we're talking non-scientific, scientific fiction, so anything goes as long it's visualized.

Doesn't necessarily contradict the plot. They may prefer hot hunting environments because it brings out the toughest, most hostile game. But for their own living/feeding/lounging conditions, they could prefer something cooler. I only ever saw their being drawn to heat as a prerequisite for good hunting, not a preference for anything outside of the sport.
well, my variant removes the need for uncomfortable conditions for creatures who like comfort (in original movies, where predators flee after a single wound, don't oppose anybody dangerous face to face and remove greatest threats in the beginning to have a comforting prolonged hunt with lesser danger after that, not in following fanmade universe where they are battle monks): heat close to homeworld conditions gives them better physical abilities.

yep, i did.
there are four factors:

1) mouth pigment can be anything, not nesessarily caused by blood color.

wx1080.jpg

u_146abaa016d9760b5814ccb7925ad510_800.jpg

446783640_85b8cdd99b_z.jpg

(though the first example is radical. that creature has literally black everything, black pigment is everywhere in its organism.)

2) blood cannot be as thick as the green goo is. it just won't be able to travel through smallest veins and arteries.
3) look at the color of predator meet.

hepSRSH.jpg

it's red (or orange, as OM1D adds above). with single thick layers of green.

4) if green goo was blood, it would go close to skin surface and cause predator glow in the dark. it doesn't. at the same time skin, mouth, eyes and all the rest cannot function without constant blood current.

my theory is that green goo is a liquid between muscles, not blood flowing through them.

just bringing in the results of long discussions by several people obsessed with discussions even more than with predators :wave

for me it is a cold-blooded creature - they depend on either surrounding temperature (all snakes, frogs, lizards), or amounts of eaten food and freed energy (i guess it's true for same creatures), or muscle vibrations to artificially raise temperature (some snakes or just one kind, i can google that article i took it from), or altogether.
Stan Winston says in the P2 DVD features they're like snakes and describes the patterns on their skin/foreheads as being different like snakes.

Stan Winston says in the P2 DVD features they're like snakes and describes the patterns on their skin/foreheads as being different like snakes.

Think he was just referring to the variation in patterns, not necessarily making a statement about their internal biology.

4) if green goo was blood, it would go close to skin surface and cause predator glow in the dark. it doesn't. at the same time skin, mouth, eyes and all the rest cannot function without constant blood current.

my theory is that green goo is a liquid between muscles, not blood flowing through them.

But look at human beings. Their flesh is red and their blood red, but melanin's contribution to skin tone overrides that of muscle and blood. For instance, you could have an extremely pale person looking white as cheese. Upon close inspection, you may see veins of different colors, but the overall impression is white. Or maybe you have someone with a tan or olive skin tone. You'd still register the olive before anything else. And the darker the skin, the harder it is to spot those variations caused by veins and flesh.

Predator skin could have enough pigment to prevent the glowing green of its blood from showing through. It may even be thicker than human skin, adding to its masking power.

Add to that the fact that the Predator in the first film coughs up the same green goo after being crushed by the log. Doubt that it would be muscular fluid in that situation.

Think he was just referring to the variation in patterns, not necessarily making a statement about their internal biology.
yeah i remember it this way, too. they said something about how it was that for a casual person they are all alike, like snakes, but like actual snakes, they are all different. no biology references.

But look at human beings. Their flesh is red and their blood red, but melanin's contribution to skin tone overrides that of muscle and blood. For instance, you could have an extremely pale person looking white as cheese. Upon close inspection, you may see veins of different colors, but the overall impression is white. Or maybe you have someone with a tan or olive skin tone. You'd still register the olive before anything else. And the darker the skin, the harder it is to spot those variations caused by veins and flesh.

Predator skin could have enough pigment to prevent the glowing green of its blood from showing through. It may even be thicker than human skin, adding to its masking power.

Add to that the fact that the Predator in the first film coughs up the same green goo after being crushed by the log. Doubt that it would be muscular fluid in that situation.
look.
1) predator eyes won't cover the glow, and eyes should be filled with blood. i should have mentioned it first, not last.
2) predator veins on white skin areas won't cover it. white zones all in all don't glow. predators, unlike AVPators and Rodrigators, have amphybian skin, not scaly lizard armor, so it cannot even be explained by scales covering the blood flow.
3) mouths don't glow.
4) thick liquid cannot flow through small veins. it also cannot work well on a big creature with fast movements like a predator. can work in caterpillars only.
5) red predator meat on a prop. the result of first 4 points is that blood can be anything of any color (including green), but not that thick glowing substance. if the last point is accepted, it's safe to assume that a predator is the same hemoglobin based creature as we are.

and predator coughing could be anything. he wasn't hit to lungs, he was hit on a head (i remember it with 90% surety, would be silly to be mistaken, but all pics are at home), tearing insides with his spine and possibly drowning in that liquid.
plus having internal injuries would cause any internal liquids to go out, and glowing one would mix with the rest and hide it.

my major point is that shown green liquid doesn't work for blood by several parameters, but i offer an explanation instead of just saying "it's movie magic".

there is also a probability that if a blood, meaning a liquid responsible for our blood functions, was glowing, all a predator would see would be a constant green glow from the eyeball blood pressure. not only we would see his eyes protoss-like, but he might see nothing except that, as well.

NuPLAtz.jpg

having head tentacles similar to protoss neural cords (according to the second game at least) is already enough :)

this is ridiculous we still haven't seen this for PO yet. Yet the IM MK II 2.0 wasn't even previewed at SDCC17 and it's up for PO?:gah:

It's obviously not an important license to them. I'm pleasantly surprised they still go to the trouble of hiring freelance sculptors to keep the Predator ship afloat when they really don't have to.

It's not finished . Hence no preorder . I don't want them to rush this sculpt anyway . I'm kind of feeling positive that we may in fact have something very special when finalized .

Back