Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to see it in hand but from what I've seen so far, I like the weathering. I think it looks good especially when paired with a desert diorama.
Exactly. He looks like he's been crawling around Tattooine for a few days. Which he does for the first episode but its not representative of the whole season.
Personally I don't want a Mando season 2 figure that only represents a single event/single environment/single scenario.
I wasn't planning on displaying him in a Tattooine diorama.
But hey, this is the deluxe version with some special accessories like Boba's armour, which does represent a specific moment in a specific episode.
Problem is I wanted a season 2 Mando not season 2 ep1 & 2 Mando.
Who knows maybe the standard version will be cleaner, though I won't hold my breath.
I think I've done enough shaking my fist at the clouds in this thread. I'll leave you all to it.

Everyone upset about the weathering....wait and see how it looks in your display, on a shelf or cabinet with whatever your standard viewing distance is. Don't judge it from the marco-lensed, white lightbox world of images and videos we'll be flooded with while this figure slowly makes its way out to our collections.

Won't be surprised if many of the objections folks are having now blow away like sand in the wind...

Everyone upset about the weathering....wait and see how it looks in your display, on a shelf or cabinet with whatever your standard viewing distance is. Don't judge it from the marco-lensed, white lightbox world of images and videos we'll be flooded with while this figure slowly makes its way out to our collections.

Won't be surprised if many of the objections folks are having now blow away like sand in the wind...
My plan is to see if the standard version also has the heavy weathering, if it does I'm probably going to skip it. Don't want to risk trying to remove the weathering.
My display is only about 4 feet in front of the sofa in my office. I'm going to be able to see it. Even if I don't, everytime I get up to look at my display, I'm going to see that horrible weathering.
I also don't want to spend £300 on a figure that I don't like because of the weathering, in the hopes that I won't see it or not mind it once it's on my shelf.
I do appreciate that you're trying to lift the mood though.
Maybe I'll just have to get a customer to paint the armour for me.

At this point, for people who don't like the weathering, it's probably a better idea to get the season 1 version + custom chrome armor or get the armor painted.
I think you're probably right sadly.
If HT would have just chilled on the weathering it would have been perfect. But no, had to roll the poor lad in manure.
Anyone recommend a customer that does a nice chrome Beskar set?

i’ve already come to terms with the fact that hot toys will release a book of boba / season 3 mando that’s a cleaner chrome with a brown flight suit.

gonna enjoy this one as the shiny battle worn badass that he is until 2 years from now when the next version is shipping lol. is that bad, enabling behavior? yes. should it be the case with a $400 product? no. but i’m just preparing myself for the inevitable 🤷‍♂️

i’ve already come to terms with the fact that hot toys will release a book of boba / season 3 mando that’s a cleaner chrome with a brown flight suit.

gonna enjoy this one as the shiny battle worn badass that he is until 2 years from now when the next version is shipping lol. is that bad, enabling behavior? yes. should it be the case with a $400 product? no. but i’m just preparing myself for the inevitable 🤷‍♂️
It's genius, really. I remember reading once that McFarlane never releases a "definitive" Batman, thus compelling you to get the next version and never be fully satisfied.

Is the flight suit wrong? Yeah... Is the weathering too thick? Yeah... But the next version might fix it!... Oh wait, the next version won't have the beskar spear, and they might change something else to be slightly inaccurate, and thus it's not the "definitive" version, because you bet there's going to be a Season 3 Mandolorian, and then Season 4, then Season 5, and so on and so forth.

Season 1 Mando already came in two flavors. You bet they'll have a newer version with a new accessory or weapon or armor bit that just makes everyone squeal "I want it" after they see it.
cover5.jpg

I'm warming up to the weathering, along with the more navy undersuit. But I'm not sure it's $100 more than last version worth it yet. Maybe. Ugh, I don't know.

Art15 made a good set. Not sure if he still has it though.

Thanks very much! I'll check him out.

Yeah I'm sure they'll do that. In season 3, his armour might get upgraded or painted or something that justifies a whole new release and justifies to collectors picking up another Mando figure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get another chromed Beskar Mando but this time clean and with a thing he briefly uses in the first episode as a super exclusive accessory. Or with yet another Grogu, this time with brand new ear pose; a whole millimetre higher than last time. And his Beskar chain mail shirt...
And we'll have to wait 2 years minimum to get our hands on him.

It's genius, really. I remember reading once that McFarlane never releases a "definitive" Batman, thus compelling you to get the next version and never be fully satisfied.

Is the flight suit wrong? Yeah... Is the weathering too thick? Yeah... But the next version might fix it!... Oh wait, the next version won't have the beskar spear, and they might change something else to be slightly inaccurate, and thus it's not the "definitive" version, because you bet there's going to be a Season 3 Mandolorian, and then Season 4, then Season 5, and so on and so forth.

Season 1 Mando already came in two flavors. You bet they'll have a newer version with a new accessory or weapon or armor bit that just makes everyone squeal "I want it"

I want that Beskar spear damn them. Want the spear? Gotta have the dung weathering too. The Gits.
My plan has always been to have the original durasteel armour version, one chromed out Beskar version (which I thought would this one) and a painted armour version, assuming he ever paints it.
But Hot Toys wants me to have many many many versions, each sliiiiightly different from the last.

I've been painting models since the 80's, started out with airfix kits, table top miniatures etc. I've also repainted 1/12 scale figures and have done limited 1/6 scale painting (repainted v2 City Hunter armour to more match the actual props rather than keep HTs very brown paint job) and I've painted some 1/6 scale weapons and accessories etc.
But I'm a brush painter. Never used an airbrush and you really ought to use an airbrush for chrome painting on something like Mandos 1/6 Beskar armour for a nice smooth highly reflective finish.
I've been planning on getting an airbrush for awhile. Maybe it's time I did.

honestly i don’t mind the look of the weathering at all. it’ll make him easier to photograph compared to being fully mirrored, and adds some complexity. it also just looks badass and differentiates him more from the s1 beskar.

all that said though, it still really isnt fully accurate, which is a shame. especially with these waits and at this price point. makes for a cool looking figure, but totally get why it bothers some people. we’ll have to wait to see in hand.

between the chrome, wired cape, and accessories, still really psyched to get this in. also seems like the pants are finally tailored better, and the default “relaxed” hands are improved.

Last edited:
honestly i don’t mind the look of the weathering at all. it’ll make him easier to photograph compared to being fully mirrored, and adds some complexity. it also just looks badass and differentiates him more from the s1 beskar.

all that said though, it still really isnt fully accurate, which is a shame. especially with these waits and at this price point. makes for a cool looking figure, but totally get why it bothers some people. we’ll have to wait to see in hand.

between the chrome, wired cape, and accessories, still really psyched to get this in. also seems like the pants are finally tailored better, and the default “relaxed” hands are improved.

I was looking at the weathering and realised that apart from being way too heavy (in my opinion) and inaccurate to the show, it just looks wrong.
The whole armour is shiny, reflective chrome. Even the areas that have heavy weathering, the super shiny chrome shows through as though the weathering wasn't there. That much weathering should dull the chrome.
Just looks really weird.
But I'm genuinely happy for those that like it. The perfect Beskar armour Mando figure for those that like this weathering.

From a normal viewing distance the same type of weathering on Phasma isn't that noticeable at all. It's only when you get up real close to it that it starts to stand out. Although obviously I can understand why people would still want something that works well from any distance.

Back