Hot Toys - The Mandalorian - Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike Set + The Child

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TaliBane how do you keep posting with that avatar and sig day in and day out. :rotfl

Just the other day I got a compliment from a fellow boardie via PM regarding my avatar/sig.:nana::yess:

Well, he was asking if my avatar was a famous actress or a popular character, to which I answered an emphatic hell-yeah. :lecture

But I took it as a compliment.:dunno

I think it's awesome:)

You get a tick for your grovelling, Khev doesn't for his insolence. That's how it works in the Team Disney building... the Chalice of Our Dreams.:lecture

sigpic47748_47.gif

Within a month of the first Child figure coming out, there will be KO sets flooding the market.

I'm not condoning that. But I am saying that the child portrait that comes with this will be attainable at some point, just through less scrupulous venues.

That would be good. The smiling child is the only thing I want from this set.

I'm picking and choosing figures from the Mandalorian line that will slot into the OT. The slob Scout with the long armour doesn't really fit the brief, plus that the outfit makes for an ugly figure. I've never wanted a Speeder Bike either, let alone a white one. So, unless Hot Toys starts selling Baby Yodas, bring on the bootlegs.

That's a theory I've seen for years - I think entirely based on the making-of pic of the bikes in Yuma under the sail barge - but I don't think the bikes ever had any connection to the Jabba storyline. My understanding was it simply a fabrication/transportation thing that the bikes were there.

I based my theory on the design of the bikes themselves, after looking at them for too long lol.

Suddenly it just clicked with me.

It appears that the bikes were originally planned for the Sarlac scene to visually replicate the look of ?shark infested waters.? The bikes with Jabbas guards on them would have been circling the Sarlac while Luke walked the plank. This is all consistent with the overall pirate movie aesthetic of that scene. I came to this conclusion based on the following factors.

? There?s an actual great white shark head incorporated into the rear sides of the design of the bike just below the rolled up tarp.
? The brown rusty color palette matches the sail barge and skiff, instead of Imperial design convention.
? there?s only a tiny blaster sized gun on the bottom, you would expect a larger blaster canon if it was a military vehicle.
? the bikes are filthy and heavily weathered. That?s not typical of Imperial gear, but looks totally appropriate for Jabbas guards.
? the front of the top of the primary body of the bike has the same ?hull of a capsized boat? design motif that?s consistent with the sail barge and skiff.
? the shape and design of the fins/veins at the very front of the bike is consistent with the fins/veins to the rear of the sail barge and skiff.

After noticing the above I called my buddy and explained everything to him and he said ?it?s funny you say that, you might be on to something? and he sent me the photo of the bikes hanging in the background of the Sarlac set, which as you can imagine gave me some sense of validation. We may never know for sure, but I?m pretty confident in my assertion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5f7662d33ab6579b41f972e7a9f251a4.jpg

Just saw this for the first time.

But yeah I really like the Mando Scout troopers and the white bikes so much. The white seems to fit better with an Empire aesthetic.

Like the Imperial Troop Transport I think that Mando might having been paying homage to the original Kenner toys. In my mind's eye when I think about ROTJ I tend to incorrectly picture the Speeder Bikes as light grey since that's what the Kenner toys looked like.

il_570xN.1937948985_7si5.jpg

I agree it does seem more fitting for the Empire and for something on my shelf I think this is a case where the Kenner look is just as endearing/iconic as screen accuracy.

Took a couple days to evaluate my options and went with Toys Buying Agent for my PO. Used to order from Timcent when he was selling on Ebay and lately changed to KG Hobby and Den Den Hobby as i was never confident with full payment for PO a whole year in advance.

I based my theory on the design of the bikes themselves, after looking at them for too long lol.

Suddenly it just clicked with me.

It appears that the bikes were originally planned for the Sarlac scene to visually replicate the look of ?shark infested waters.? The bikes with Jabbas guards on them would have been circling the Sarlac while Luke walked the plank. This is all consistent with the overall pirate movie aesthetic of that scene. I came to this conclusion based on the following factors.

? There?s an actual great white shark head incorporated into the rear sides of the design of the bike just below the rolled up tarp.
? The brown rusty color palette matches the sail barge and skiff, instead of Imperial design convention.
? there?s only a tiny blaster sized gun on the bottom, you would expect a larger blaster canon if it was a military vehicle.
? the bikes are filthy and heavily weathered. That?s not typical of Imperial gear, but looks totally appropriate for Jabbas guards.
? the front of the top of the primary body of the bike has the same ?hull of a capsized boat? design motif that?s consistent with the sail barge and skiff.
? the shape and design of the fins/veins at the very front of the bike is consistent with the fins/veins to the rear of the sail barge and skiff.

After noticing the above I called my buddy and explained everything to him and he said ?it?s funny you say that, you might be on to something? and he sent me the photo of the bikes hanging in the background of the Sarlac set, which as you can imagine gave me some sense of validation. We may never know for sure, but I?m pretty confident in my assertion.

Some very interesting thoughts; I cannot see this shark you refer to. You have a reference pic that illustrates/shows it? I am very curious.

I belong to a private FB group with people there associated with the movie crew. I'm not one of them. What I am being told: Yes, imperial bikes were on the location in Yuma, Az, but for practical reasons. From AZ, they were going straight to Crescent City, Ca for the Endor shoot. I'm being told they were the color we see in the movie. Somewhat limited info, granted.

These are not my pics:

Pic 1: Bike Being fabricated (still white):

View attachment 483986

Pic 2: painted camo:

View attachment 483987

And the camo look changed to what's in the movie

Pic 3: hanging out in AZ:
View attachment 484089

Last edited:
Can't imagine this fitting in a DETOLF. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it before I buy it.

You mean this?

View attachment 483983

It does somewhat resemble a shark's head with its mouth open.

That's an upside down space shuttle "head" from a late 1970s model kit. It was all scratch built so parts determined how the bike looked - the rear exhaust flaps are armor from a german anti-aircraft gun model (Flak 38) - rivets and all.

I thought it was pretty cool that the front of Niki Lauda's formula one car was the key part of the speeder bike.:lol

QLqFNHA.png

That's an upside down space shuttle "head" from a late 1970s model kit. It was all scratch built so parts determined how the bike looked - the rear exhaust flaps are armor from a german anti-aircraft gun model (Flak 38) - rivets and all.

I never knew that.

And now I'll probably never unsee the Space Shuttle cockpit flying inverted between his legs. lol

That's why I love the OT. It looks real world because it is real world. Most stuff these days is over designed ****.

I thought it was pretty cool that the front of Niki Lauda's formula one car was the key part of the speeder bike.:lol

QLqFNHA.png

I?ll be damned, that?s very cool. I was so confident I was right, but there it is, can?t argue with the evidence.

I definitely believe you, you can see an upside down space shuttle there, but the shape still looks more like a shark to me than the space shuttle. The nose is much more pointed than the space shuttle. What model did they use, was it a space shuttle concept model, or did they just modify the nose to make it more pointed?

Thanks for the info and evidence TaliBane, much appreciated! [emoji1][emoji106]

I?ll be damned, that?s very cool. I was so confident I was right, but there it is, can?t argue with the evidence.

I definitely believe you, you can see an upside down space shuttle there, but the shape still looks more like a shark to me than the space shuttle. The nose is much more pointed than the space shuttle. What model did they use, was it a space shuttle concept model, or did they just modify the nose to make it more pointed?

Just because they used an inverted space shuttle cockpit doesn't mean it wasn't inspired by a shark. You could both be absolutely correct! :hi5:

It's the Revell 1/72 one they reused for Moonraker.

vintage-1981-columbia-space-shuttle_1_7a165a144cfeb279cb5da182b160e8a3.jpg

This is the German Flak they used for the speeder bike's rear flaps...

krvDpUH.png

Thanks for that TaliBane _ I never knew about the F1 connection to the Speeder bikes. That is very cool. It is amazing to still be learning of this stuff nearly 40 years later.

I had assumed that by Jedi, the kitbashing was only for smaller details and that based on bigger budgets and more confidence in their processes, they were building more and more from scratch but there you go.

It also shows how much the model makers had on the final design on such things. Based on the kitbashing here they would have made the model off the drawing concepts, locking in it's final look. This would have then been copied for the full size props to match it. Such a great era of collaborative film making.

Back