Hot Toys Star Wars?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think HT would certainly have it's pros and cons.

Their sculpts and craftsmanship are clearly superior (for the most part), reflected in their pricing; but their lines are never as expansive as SS's. I don't imagine that HT would do a Gamorrean variant or random Imperial officers. :dunno

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that most of the products that has Hottoys on the SideShow boxes have a really great quality !!!

I'm kinda lazy to read all of this topic but I"m certain that most ppl agree with this statement ?!

I think that most of the products that has Hottoys on the SideShow boxes have a really great quality !!!

I'm kinda lazy to read all of this topic but I"m certain that most ppl agree with this statement ?!

First welcome to Sideshow Freaks
Second, yes that statement is true, but there are plenty of Sideshow figures without the Hot Toys name on the box that are just as good

Personally, I can't understand the search for perfection in a toy. In the end, no matter how much money you put into a toy, its still a toy.

Reading about the people that drop $300-$600 on improving 1 single figure like Indiana or the Joker just blows my feeble mind.

In the end, I just don't want to be priced out of what should be a pretty inclusive club. These are toys, not Rolex watches.

IMO the minority of perfectionists willing to pay anything for that goal of perfection have driven the prices to the extreme.

Companies are realizing its more effecient in the short term to just milk the 1000 rabid spenders that will pay $160 for a toy than to make 4000 normal collectors happy.

The problem is that long term the highrollers are harder to replace than the casual collectors. I think eventually with all the price increases the 1/6th demand is going to all but dry up and SSC and HT are going to be left scratching their heads about what happened and why they no longer have a market.

perfection in a toy

I was actually thinking about this really hard last night and it was giving me anxiety. How can someone pursue that? Tinkering and stuff is fun, and intensely seeking the answer to an important problem is the height of admirable, but perfection in a toy???

:gah:

I'm still ____ed up by the concept. Is there something wrong with us that it's so unimportant?

:dunno :dunno :dunno

I don't know. I guess it gives people a sense of accomplishment...?

Don't get me wrong, I still want products to be good or even great from the manufacturer. They don't have to be perfect, but something like Bespin Han's jacket is unacceptable.

But spending $50 on a pair of boots and $200 for single jacket...I just do not get it. Especially knowing that I would have 100 other 1/6th figures that I now would feel are not up to the same level.

Is this discussion still going on?

There is no HT 1/6 Star Wars.

You'll have to suffer with Indiana Jones, Batman '89, Pirates and Terminator.

Sure next thing you'll be saying is that Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real either.

It would be nice to deal in reality, but unfortunately most people don't want to hear the truth.
SSC does a very good job, but not perfect, and not as good as HT.
The Star Wars collecting community is never satisfied. If you gave them HT quality at Hasbro prices they would still complain. Its very much a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. As annoying as it can be, it does force the bar higher. We have to acknowledge that the dissatisfaction with the Buck resulted in the Pro, the dissatisfaction with the ordering process resulted in better servers, the dissatisfaction with paint rubs resulted in plastic collars, so the criticism has some merit.
The bottom line is that even if HT were to take over the line, collectors would still complain. Look at the complaints about Whiplash's hair for example. As I've pointed out, SSC responded to criticism and adapted, last week a sculptor from HT said he doesn't like the nitpicking, which sounds like he's saying "if you don't like it, don't buy it." I've invested my hard earned dollars into a product, so I have a right to offer an opinion regardless of who likes it or doesn't, and most importantly my opinion is expressed through my dollars. If I don't like it I don't buy it, and I like having the ability to tell SSC WHY I didn't buy it and hope they improve the next one.

As far as likenesses go, SSC is solid. The ones they have trouble with are the ones everyone has trouble with. Its ironic to me that after at least a dozen or two attempts, at Mark Hamill, Mat Falls' version still captures him the best, expression not withstanding. HT just did Harrison Ford and I think it isn't the definitive Indy. Paint apps still suck and the tailoring could be better.
Ok, I'm done.

Officially the best post in this thread. well done Anzik. :rock

Opinions are like _______s.

And this forum (as a whole, not just this thread) has alot of both. Learn to live with it, and be an adult, or go elsewhere.

Boo-hooing because someone was mean to you on the internet is a waste of your time, my time, and everyone else's as well.

If i think a 300$ figure looks like a turd in a suit, and you like it, BFD. why the hell does what i think of the things you like matter, unless you're so insecure that you require validation on every little thing you do.

it's a forum about toys. if what people think about you on here is the most important thing in your life, I recommend you re-evaluate it.

Now then, about Hot toys indy.

i think He looks like ass, and if it IS sculpted by Arnie kim ( which i doubt) I'm VERY concerned for superman.

However, given HT track history, i'm confidant they'll improve him before we see him again.
Still not going to buy it regardless I think. Already got a raiders indy.

HT should have gone with Temple of doom. That i would buy.

As for HT star wars?
not going to happen.
Not unless Takara/tomy Stops leasing to medicom, and starts subleasing to HT instead.
I noticed that a while back. Takara labels are sill on the medicom boxes. And started to think about it. Takara made alot of SW toys in the Asian market for a long time.
Takara is also partners with hasbro on many projects.
Hasbro holds the SW toy license.

I think Medicom likely has a similar deal with Takara like Sideshow has with Hasbro.

My opinion: We will continue to see HT partner with sideshow to produce some SW items, but that's all we will ever see.

I don't imagine that HT would do a Gamorrean variant or random Imperial officers. :dunno

So what?

I don't think HT having the license would be taking away from SS. They would keep making those characters HT would not bother with.

eh never mind. I said no more opinions. I'll just say I don't understand the appeal. :lol

Last edited:
hmm I did not have the luxury as a child to have access to comics nor actionfigures so I am not very attached to the idea of these being toys. But I did just start out this hobby last year for TDK as I see these little creations as art and collectibles and not toys and maybe I am alone in this. man I am just another nuttjob amongst freaks I guess ;)
As for dropping the "force" on us only to be business as usual seems rather unusual so my bet is on fullblown HT SW figures. SS I am sure has pretty happy at reselling HT figures in the last year and very profitable at it without having to invest a dime and that is something all of you have missed as SS in the end is a business. If they can refocus on what they are unique and good at without spreading themselves thin and still rack in nice profits with a partner supplier like HT then I am sure we will see HT SW figures possibly alongside SS and if that is working out nicely to reboot SW for SS only more will come.

I'd like to add Takara/TOMY owns Medicom. TOMY bought out Takara and Medicom a few years back. Well said Lerath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back