Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why i wont purchase the HT Arkham Bats. That all rubber suit and HT's past rubber issues means its only a matter of time before it falls apart. For the prie we pay, they should last more than 2-3 years on our shelf's.

I admit I haven't been paying attention the last few years, but I thought the problems had been solved?

The last few years of Iron Man haven't suffered from the 'pink panties' have they?
And the Burton Batman and latest Dark Knight (eg the armory) Batman haven't had reported issues, have they?

I LOVE the look on the Arkham bats, but after seeing it in hand, its basically a statue..
SAB,
the Burton bats is actually a hard plastic type suit (great looking fig, but little articulation), the arkham feels like a thick rubber, though...

I LOVE the look on the Arkham bats, but after seeing it in hand, its basically a statue..
SAB,
the Burton bats is actually a hard plastic type suit (great looking fig, but little articulation), the arkham feels like a thick rubber, though...

Ah thanks for the clarification.

Not just Hot Toys either. My sideshow Jim Raynor has rubber rot. After someone posted mentioning their problem, I checked mine and sure enough his arm wires and one of his knee wires are crsxking. Not sure what to do whether to move everything neutral or keep it as is since the damage is done. I wish I could repair them though. Definitely not sure I'll be bothering with tychus if the same thing is gonna happen.

Not just Hot Toys either. My sideshow Jim Raynor has rubber rot. After someone posted mentioning their problem, I checked mine and sure enough his arm wires and one of his knee wires are crsxking. Not sure what to do whether to move everything neutral or keep it as is since the damage is done. I wish I could repair them though. Definitely not sure I'll be bothering with tychus if the same thing is gonna happen.

try brushing it up with plasti-dip paint, they are flexible and gives a rubber matte finish which can be peeled off if you don't like it.

rubber doesn't rot. it dries out. the mentioned products are meant to keep the rubber from drying out.

Didn't know the Hulk's body was vinyl, so does vinyl have a longer life than rubber when used on figures?

Didn't know the Hulk's body was vinyl, so does vinyl have a longer life than rubber when used on figures?

Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic, Pleather, they all will deteriorate, how long depends on the materials used to make them & the environment they are exposed to.

Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic, Pleather, they all will deteriorate, how long depends on the materials used to make them & the environment they are exposed to.

Decent quality vinyl will probably outlast you, let alone your interest in action figures.

Decent quality vinyl will probably outlast you, let alone your interest in action figures.

like i said, depends on the materials they used. when i say materials i say raw materials & chemical stuffs. A Decent piece of quality paper will outlast most of us.

but decent quality is a thing of the past.

Just finished reading all 74 pages of this thread. Really makes me feel sad and a bit paranoid (although, technically, it's not paranoia if it's real).

I have about 40 hot toys, most of them never left the box (and those that did, went back in the same day). I had to move a lot on the last 10 years and never had the space to display them.

I decided to sell most of my figures (preparing for another move next year, I hope it will be the last). I'll start to check and list them this weekend. I'm afraid of what I will find in those boxes (specially the comedian, which I never removed from the box). I will sell all the figures with the problems I read about on this thread.

I will read the pleather deterioration thread (I read on this thread that there was one, but I'm not finding it), but I would like to ask you guys some questions about the figures I'm considering keeping.

Joker (DX01), Batman (DX12), Two-Face (MMS81), Superman (MMS200) & Zod (MMS216) - Man of Steel, Rocket & Groot (MMS254), Don Corleone (MMS91), Lt. Aldo Raine (MMS118) & Captain America (MMS281).
1. None of these figures has rubber, leather/pleather right? I didn't find any complaints about them. Does anyone know about any problems with them?

Predator Classic (MMS 162) and Predator (MMS 090)
2. Have rubber dreads and neck piece. Any problem with them ? I found no complaints about these.

Bane (MMS183), Blade (MMS113), T-800 (MMS117), Wolverine (MMS103) & Ezio Auditore (VGM12) - Assassins Creed
3. Have leather/pleather clothes. Any problem with those ?

Superman Christopher Reeve (MMS152), T-800 (MMS117), Wolverine (MMS103) & Bane (MMS183)
4. Have the "rubber" (I believe it's vinyl) upper body and neck. Are they also problematic ?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any information.

Last edited:
Joker (DX01), Batman (DX12), Two-Face (MMS81), Superman (MMS200) & Zod (MMS216) - Man of Steel, Rocket & Groot (MMS254), Don Corleone (MMS91), Lt. Aldo Raine (MMS118) & Captain America (MMS281).
1. None of these figures has rubber, leather/pleather right? I didn't find any complaints about them. Does anyone know about any problems with them?

Batman wears Full Rubber Suit. Superman uses vinyl/rubber like suit similar to other Superman, some have minor pleather materials like Belt but small items are easier to be replaced/repair.

Predator Classic (MMS 162) and Predator (MMS 090)
2. Have rubber dreads and neck piece. Any problem with them ? I found no complaints about these.

Should be OK unless heat were stucked inside the box causing the rubbers to melt.

Bane (MMS183), Blade (MMS113), T-800 (MMS117), Wolverine (MMS103) & Ezio Auditore (VGM12) - Assassins Creed
3. Have leather/pleather clothes. Any problem with those ?

Hot Toys uses better Pleather materials, but i have the Resident Evil Sheva which uses Pleather Boots, it's still ok but i notice small chips around the belt of the boots which are thinner than normal pleathers. If you apply leather protector or gummypledge or clear rubber coat it may prolong the pleathers. But these figures are pleather heavy, if you really like them keep them, if not sell them.

Superman Christopher Reeve (MMS152), T-800 (MMS117), Wolverine (MMS103) & Bane (MMS183)
4. Have the "rubber" (I believe it's vinyl) upper body and neck. Are they also problematic ?

Depends. Older HT had issues with rubber muscle body, but it doesn't happen to everyone for newer bodies like pleather issue everyones getting. I'm guessing you need to keep it in proper humid/temperature controlled environment, not too dry or wet, not too hot or cold, also dust free. For Superman you shouldn't worry since it's covered in suit. Not sure Wolverine has rubber body.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any information.

Our recommendation is keep what you really like and sell those that are sitting on the fence. doesn't seem like you can enjoy the hobby even if you keep them. unless you see them as some sort of investment.

Back