Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the single reason I'm skipping the new Commando figure. The joints, when posed, would be barely noticeable, especially if hidden with camo. I know the future of the rubber arms and there is no replacement body with a physique that matches that figure. So with all that said, I'd rather invest my money elsewhere.
my commando is gonna looked all lubed up and shiney with Honda grease

No, since soap water will make the surface even dryer. suggest use a damped microfiber cloth and swipe away the dirts, this will leave minimum dust/fibers on it. And keep it dust free, if you don't have a dust free cabinet a piece of plastic bag would do.

Ok thanks. After cleaning I'm gonna gummi pflege the hell out of it :D

Ok thanks. After cleaning I'm gonna gummi pflege the hell out of it :D

please don't overdo it, you can always regummi pflege once a year or so.

also avoid silicone based products as that would also suck the moisture out of the rubber.

so far i only used those rubber protector for tyres on things with rubber wheels, haven't tried on muscle bodies & vinly/pleather. For vinly/pleather i've been using shoe shine which i used on Jill's Battlesuit. Not sure how to protect Jill, Sheeva & Ada's rubber torsos. Using these stuffs will certainly make them glossy.

Oh yes will be gentle with the gummi pflege ;) the rubber body is in great condition, though there is a slight dry patch on the shoulder. Hoping the GP will take care of it. So the idea is to brush a layer of it on and rub it in with fingers? Might have to wear latex gloves as I don't want this stuff going into my skin.

Oh yes will be gentle with the gummi pflege ;) the rubber body is in great condition, though there is a slight dry patch on the shoulder. Hoping the GP will take care of it. So the idea is to brush a layer of it on and rub it in with fingers? Might have to wear latex gloves as I don't want this stuff going into my skin.

use micro fiber cloth & rub it gently.

This is the single reason I'm skipping the new Commando figure. The joints, when posed, would be barely noticeable, especially if hidden with camo. I know the future of the rubber arms and there is no replacement body with a physique that matches that figure. So with all that said, I'd rather invest my money elsewhere.

The best option for replacement in case Matrix's rubber body fails is MMS136/117/BANE muscular single jointed arms.
The new muscular TTM20 with double jointed arms are great with clothing but lookwise nothing beats the single jointed ones.
Too bad Hot Toys did not put these out for sale on their own.

Sucks what happened to your Chris figure buddy. I had similar problems with my Dutch body and had to replace it with a KP. HT needs to stop using rubber :lecture

Thanks but there is no end to it in site, more are on the way, Avengers 2 Thor and Commando, reason being is hot toys isn't being held responsible for the deterioration, they make the figures, sell'em to sideshow then to us, a month or two later, or in my case years later it cracks and rots, hot toys don't care and have moved on and are out of the one month return policy:(

They do love using that crappy rubber. I'm sad for Commando cause you know it will look fantastic out of the box, but that body is gonna suck in the end. Limited articulation, paint rubs, and fear of bending the arms is a huge let down. Most wanted too :gah:

There are too many variables involved to say for sure it will/won't degrade. I live in SW Florida and its hot here year round, and typically 100% humidity daily. My display room stays at 72-74 degrees year round, and has no direct sunlight (boarded off and insulated the main window to the room to make another display wall). I have had figures with KNOWN degradation issues (ED-209 for one) in my collection for some time, and have personally had NO problems with the rubber. I have Keaton Batman, and a Batsuit begins Batman, the Hulk and a TDW light armor Thor as well, and none have shown signs of degradation. I display them in enclosed glass cabinets under LED lighting. Point is, you will run the risk, but your only option is to avoid anything with rubber if you are worried it COULD happen.

I'll preempt this post with an apology if this matter has already been addressed but I'm unwilling to wade through 60+ pages in search of the inquiry. As far as rubber is concerned, my only figure using that material is demon Batman which I'm very fond of. Considering the figure's suit is composed entirely of rubber, I must ask if rubber deterioration is a possibility (or inevitability) with it? I haven't displayed it and would consider selling it if I can anticipate the suit becoming spoiled over time.

Hard to say, I haven't seen any problems with that figure and I also don't own it so maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.

There are too many variables involved to say for sure it will/won't degrade. I live in SW Florida and its hot here year round, and typically 100% humidity daily. My display room stays at 72-74 degrees year round, and has no direct sunlight (boarded off and insulated the main window to the room to make another display wall). I have had figures with KNOWN degradation issues (ED-209 for one) in my collection for some time, and have personally had NO problems with the rubber. I have Keaton Batman, and a Batsuit begins Batman, the Hulk and a TDW light armor Thor as well, and none have shown signs of degradation. I display them in enclosed glass cabinets under LED lighting. Point is, you will run the risk, but your only option is to avoid anything with rubber if you are worried it COULD happen.

My set up is they are displayed behind glass or sealed cases in a temperature controlled house away from direct sunlight, I live in the Northeast US and experience all 4 seasons.

I have a fair number of figures with rubber parts, Sarah Connor, Dutch, Redfield and maybe a few others, however Redfield is the first to have this issue, as for Keaton Batman and Hulk, I don't believe they are made of rubber, most are Flexible Vinyl of some sort, like what hot toys uses for muscle body torsos like terminator figures, all of which haven't had issues rotting so I wouldn't expect issues there.

There are also other issues with rubber aside from deterioration like paint rubs, the exclusive Dark World Thor was plagued with that from some pictures I've seen.

I'm gonna try this out with the rubber parts of my toys to see if this would help in the long run. It specifically says it will protect rubber from degradation plus it's a non stick formula.
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg

The rubber body deterioriating after years i can understand but stuff like ED209 are not ok in my book.
I think they do it on purpose, just like the completely wrong Robocop color.
They see people buying V2 of the figures, why not make them buy V3 down the road.

I'll preempt this post with an apology if this matter has already been addressed but I'm unwilling to wade through 60+ pages in search of the inquiry. As far as rubber is concerned, my only figure using that material is demon Batman which I'm very fond of. Considering the figure's suit is composed entirely of rubber, I must ask if rubber deterioration is a possibility (or inevitability) with it? I haven't displayed it and would consider selling it if I can anticipate the suit becoming spoiled over time.

it does, question is whether it'd happen in 1 month or 30 years.

what i know is, harder the rubber, longer it can last, that is why plastic which is super hard rubber can last very long away from sunlight & heat, rubber don't, because it will lose moist & hardens & become fragile.

Lol not black, but yes it's glossy. Applied it to Robocop's rubber parts last night and doesn't feel sticky. I just hope this works. Was also tempted to get an ED 209 yesterday but I think I'll wait for one that's second hand with the dome that's cracked since I plan on replacing the dome anyway. Been thinking of buying that ninjaflex filament for my 3d printer and see if I can replicate the rubber parts.

Back