Hot Toys R2-D2 Deluxe Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is the scale any different? I still have the SS version as I never got the HT one, hard to justify almost double the price for HT when there is no "face sculpt", the SS looks pretty good in a cabinet with other figure, up close the HT may be more detailed but to save $100 that's fine by me.

now if they do a diecast C3PO that may make me get this droid as well :(

Palpatine is my “retirement” priced out of the game figure but I will not deny that I have been having thoughts about Dooku. Although Dooku breaks my rules as only OT HT figure he is Christopher Lee (LOTR, Hammer Movies, etc.). I am hesitant because of his price which when factoring Canadian conversion and now BBTS sales tax will make a grown man faint. Love this R2 but I feel if given the option of Dooku or R2 I am drawn to Dooku at this price point. I have not committed to Dooku and I think I will wait to see the production piece before I break all my rules.

I would love to have R2 in my collection but I think its price is too heavy for me. #toobad

What is the better value Dooku or R2 as both are priced that same. I know they are both overpriced and its a personal preference BUT remove that your “attachment” and see it dollar for dollar. To me head sculpt realism is what put HT on the map. So my answer is Dooku!!

Pre-ordered. I'm so glad they finally released this. I was hoping for a deluxe version of R2-D2 that spans the whole saga for a while now. This will be the only version I'll ever need of this character.

Ever wonder when the point will be that a large majority of collectors fold? We’ve seen HT Stormtrooper 199.00 to R2 - 243.00 over a very short time.
Just wondering if anyone is like me- no matter how much you love it, you get frustrated with the game as say screw you.

is the scale any different? I still have the SS version as I never got the HT one, hard to justify almost double the price for HT when there is no "face sculpt", the SS looks pretty good in a cabinet with other figure, up close the HT may be more detailed but to save $100 that's fine by me.

now if they do a diecast C3PO that may make me get this droid as well :(

Yeah I think a lot does depend on whether you're displaying him next to a diecast 3PO or not. The SS looks perfectly fine on its own or next to other figures, but suddenly looks a lot cheaper and toylike when next to a shiny metal 3PO.

Looks great but the missing silver cylinders in the middle leg is puzzling and concerning. However, it's such an obvious oversight that I think it will be fixed before they ship.

I'm fairly happy with Sideshow's standing next to the Tama Threepio for now. I may get this R2 a little down the line, depending on whether I have some points or gift cards.

I think I'm going to wait on this one to see what the non-deluxe is. Or if they do a C3PO / R2D2 - 2 pack. Surely 3PO's not too far away.

However I guess they'll leave a bit of space for those people buying both to not have too much expense at the same time point.

This may sound naive but why is there a cancer warning on the sideshow site??

Sent from a point in space and time

Ever wonder when the point will be that a large majority of collectors fold? We’ve seen HT Stormtrooper 199.00 to R2 - 243.00 over a very short time.
Just wondering if anyone is like me- no matter how much you love it, you get frustrated with the game as say screw you.
The good news is that while prices are on the rise my want list is dwindling. Keeping it to mostly Original Trilogy with a couple other Star Wars and Marvel figures sprinkled in is kind of the direction I’ve settled myself in.

Hmm after complaining about the price I do currently have $35 in rewards points from Alter Ego and this has free shipping there. Might cave..

I guess it depends on how you define “Priced Out”. This past year I wanted the ESB Vader but settled for a loose Vader from the Tarkin two pack $210. I wanted DX Jack Sparror but decided on purchasing the loose head only $80 (both heads and hair piece) and place it on my DX06 body (it worked). I committed to ESB Fett and have preordered Palpatine.

Figures I would have purchased if priced like the old Tech Noir T1, T-1000, DX figure $170 to $220 DX days
Hoth Leia
Bespin Leia
ROTS Anakin
ROTS Kenobi
Darth Maul
Deluxe R2
Wolf Predator
Jedi Luke
ESB Yoda
TFA R2 D2
BW Silence of the Lambs

In the end I have passed on many figures I wanted but could not bring myself to preorder. Suddenly I saw that the money was worth more the that figure and as a Collector that’s something we should never see as our passion should blind us from the the purchase.

Looks great but the missing silver cylinders in the middle leg is puzzling and concerning. However, it's such an obvious oversight that I think it will be fixed before they ship.

I wouldn't depend on that. We saw in ESB Vader that they did not correct the errors. You better write them the points that are off rather than expecting them to realize themselves and fix it. Once it enters production line, it can't be fixed.

Ugh - why do they continue to make that Dagobah lantern 1/2 the size it should be?:gah::lol HT just seems to love to make accessories 1/2 size, and it's a mystery why.

Interested to see how well the doors/hatches are handled. That was the downfall of the SSC version where all the hatches would flop open and stuff wouldn't stay in place. Yet the bottom line was most people never seemed to use any of those robot arms etc - calling into question most of what's new about this re-issue.

The first HT R2 was decent, but I really was hoping for a new bigger version - the first HT, the Tama and the SSC are all on the small side.:(

Back