Hot Toys Quality Control: Whats Goin On?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I know the cost of everything has risen recently. There seems to have been a more sudden jump with HT though? Don't you think?
Again, I'm just trying to reflect whats being discussed in the numerous threads on here. Outcries of "How much?!"

As someone else posted, I don't mind paying more but I expect top end quality. To me at least it seems that Hot Toys management have decided to really cash in on their success this year. Way more product, jumps in price levels. Thats fine as long as they have more staff, QC and Artists to ensure their output doesn't suffer.

Personally, I think we are seeing that happen now, with EX Batman and the general displeasure of their costumers with the Indy sculpt. As well as the massive delays we are now experiencing. I mean, a year or so for the Light Cycle is unprecedented isn't it?
Some of this QC failure (Bats in particular) is of the level that gave Enterbay a bad name a while back.

They have been struggling to recover from that to this day.

It's certainly interesting to get everyone's perspective on this.

I personally think the situation is a combination of a few of the aspects that folks have already mentioned. No company has a flawless record, but that shouldn't be an excuse for disappointing mistakes. However, certain things do get blown out of proportion, & this is what creates a lot of the frustration half the time. Cap looks amazing - no doubt to me. My Iron Man mk4 is fine. Indy? Subjective - bad photos, good photos, bad futzing, good futzing.

That said - HT do seem to be taking on a lot of work, & it seems to be accumulating around their ears at the moment, without them being able to catch their figurative breath.

Pretty much how I see it. The only real QC issue recently is the BW Batman. Everything else is really collectors panicking overall very minor details that can be easily fixed or bad pics, which in most cases end up not being an issue at all. Alice is a good example because that head sculpt ended up better than the prototype; people went going crazy over the early distorted pics that made her head look fat.

I have the Alice figure
the headsculpt is not better than the prototype

If you sold one of your 50 Terminator variants, you probably could :D

t1000.jpg

ca037.jpg

This for example is a bizzare headsculpt IMO. The nose and chin are enormous. Look at the hairline and neck seam?
This is not the same as the proto, I wish it was... :(

What has plastic got to do with it?
Last time I checked CR Superman is made from plastic and fabric as well.

And that is incredible. This is supposed to be Evans, if you can see him here, good luck to you man! Maybe you have better eyesight than me.
:rotfl

If you sold one of your 50 Terminator variants, you probably could :D

Overpriced though they may seem, you can't even get a 6" figure at Wal-Mart for less than $17-18 nowadays. It's the nature of things. Minimates (2 inch figures) are creeping up to $10 for a 2-pack, which is just mind-boggling. But puts things in a bit of perspective. In relation to all that, the HT figures don't seem so outrageous.

No doubt... I remember when Marvel Legends were $6.88 (paid that for the massive Juggernaut figure) at Wal Mart, now a hunk of ____ toy of Captain American is $16 :lol

ca037.jpg

This for example is a bizzare headsculpt IMO. The nose and chin are enormous. Look at the hairline and neck seam?
This is not the same as the proto, I wish it was... :(

I do find it a bit funny you are hung up on the neck seam and sculpt on this yet are fine with the $300 UU Luke Skywalker that looks like Jodie Foster :peace

IMGP8701a.JPG

Not same as proto? The protos don't even show his profile. But you can see his neck has ALWAYS been separated like that.

You know what other figures have "bizarre" neck cut and seam? T-800, Sweeney Todd, Barnes, Taylor, Ezio, Thor, Mk IV Stark, new Bruce Wayne, Superman, on and on.

Probably also worth noting those images are at least 2x life size and have a pretty high contrast. Sure the neck seam is there, but my guess is that in hand it will be as noticeable as any other.

I find it a bit funny you are hung up on the neck seam and sculpt on this yet are fine with the $300 UU Luke Skywalker that looks like Jodie Foster :peace

IMGP8701a.JPG

Why are you talking about UU Luke in here galactiboy? Enterbay and Medicom have rarely risen to HT's level of sophistication.

No need to get personal mate, that's pretty _____y IMO.

Similarly, I could point out that you posted you thought the Indy set was dissapointing in the Indy thread but not in here? I Don't get it?

I'm not "hung up" on the neck seam. I am "hung up" on the witch like nose and chin.

:peace ..indeed.

Last edited:
What has plastic got to do with it?
Last time I checked CR Superman is made from plastic and fabric as well.

And that is incredible.
Totally different plastic materials and process used...
Supes has a sculpted neck and soft upper/chest neck, Cap has hard plastic neck... look at every HT figure that has non sculpted neck... you'll see the seam...

As for the hairline...I don't see a problem... :dunno... it's a separate piece...

This is supposed to be Evans, if you can see him here, good luck to you man! Maybe you have better eyesight than me.
:rotfl

It has nothing to do with eyesight... it's a kick-ass figure... so I assume you're passing on this?...

I do find it a bit funny you are hung up on the neck seam and sculpt on this yet are fine with the $300 UU Luke Skywalker that looks like Jodie Foster :peace

IMGP8701a.JPG

:horror

Not same as proto? The protos don't even show his profile. But you can see his neck has ALWAYS been separated like that.

You know what other figures have "bizarre" neck cut and seam? T-800, Sweeney Todd, Barnes, Taylor, Ezio, Thor, Mk IV Stark, new Bruce Wayne, Superman, on and on.

:goodpost::exactly:

Nope, I have Capt America on the way. And it is a kickass figure, one with a disappointing headsculpt, same as Indy. And I know what Superman is made of. I have him already. Both are made from plastic.

One is awesome and looks like the actor it is intended to, the other looks like a generic albeit weird male face.

You make a comment that it couldn't look realistic because it was made from plastic.
It could.
Make your point and stick to it please.:peace

Why are you talking about UU Luke in here galactiboy? Enterbay and Medicom have rarely risen to HT's level of sophistication.

No need to get personal mate, that's pretty _____y IMO.

Similarly, I could point out that you posted you thought the Indy set was dissapointing in the Indy thread but not in here? I Don't get it?

I'm not "hung up" on the neck seam. I am "hung up" on the witch like nose and chin.

:peace ..indeed.

You are kidding right, the post was made in jest... nothing seriously intended by it; reason for the :peace emoticon. So hopefully you can not worry about a personal attack.

You did say the neck seam, nose and chin bothered you. So just pointing out a discrepancy I thought was funny. That just means I remember you, not that I don't like you or have a problem with your collecting tastes.

And I do feel the Indy set is disappointing, its not a QC issue (honestly looks the same if not a touch better than the proto)... just think they could have done better on the sculpt.

All I know is that this has to be the most forgiving hobby/interest/obsession in the world.

Bad quality control (from SS/HT/EB):

"Hey they are pushing the limit and if you get a bad one just pay to send it back and have it replaced!"

Massive delays:

"Its your problem if you pay in advance!"

Products degrading in just a few years:

"Just enjoy your $200-300 product while it lasts!"

Rapid large price increases:

"Well there is inflation and wages in China and all that"

All this doesn't really encourage the companies in question to lift their game.

You are kidding right, the post was made in jest... nothing seriously intended by it; reason for the :peace emoticon. So hopefully you can not worry about a personal attack.

You did say the neck seam, nose and chin bothered you. So just pointing out a discrepancy I thought was funny. That just means I remember you, not that I don't like you or have a problem with your collecting tastes.

And I do feel the Indy set is disappointing, its not a QC issue (honestly looks the same if not a touch better than the proto)... just think they could have done better on the sculpt.

All cool man, I'm probably a little over sensitive today.
:hi5:

All I know is that this has to be the most forgiving hobby/interest/obsession in the world.

Bad quality control (from SS/HT/EB):

"Hey they are pushing the limit and if you get a bad one just pay to send it back and have it replaced!"

Massive delays:

"Its your problem if you pay in advance!"

Products degrading in just a few years:

"Just enjoy your $200-300 product while it lasts!"

Rapid large price increases:

"Well there is inflation and wages in China and all that"

All this doesn't really encourage the companies in question to lift their game.

True, whenever comment are made anout these there is always the obligatory defense that some will dish out.

The plain fact is Hot Toys are over stretching themselves and its showing.

There a more sever QC problems occuring that before and more delays than before and more licenses announced than before.

Nearly the whole 4th quarter release schedule has been pushed to second quarter next year.

This means that there'll likely be:

Baby Doll
Amber
Iron man mark 2
Batman '89
Joker '89
Iron man gantry
Iron monger

All around the second quarter :slap so basically Avatar and Sucker Punch are dead cos there is no way they are gonna get the sales deserved with that competition hitting at the same time.

EDIT: Batman/Joker and Gantry are listed as mid-1st QTR now, but i dont expect them to hit on-time

No doubt... I remember when Marvel Legends were $6.88 (paid that for the massive Juggernaut figure) at Wal Mart, now a hunk of ____ toy of Captain American is $16 :lol

IMGP8701a.JPG

That Luke is a all around turd.

$300 :lol

Back