Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Mandarin Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLease point out a single person who had a problem with Kinsley as the mandarin? its the mandarin as he was portrayed (the role not the look ) that people hate

Ah, so like 12 people. I see. :rotfl

Ok, well enjoy this figure you guys.

i guess you haven't been around here much or purchased hot toys figures so i'll clue you in. when a figure is on sale and people are purchasing it they will say so in this forum. they will also let us know if they're not purchasing and why. this has proven to be a great way to determine if collectors in general are buying or shunning the release...whether collectors like it or they don't. BBTS expelled their preorder allotment within hours. these are better reasons and indicators than your skepticism and disapproval of the filmmakers not making the character comic accurate. we're going to call those people comic purists that haven't accepted that the media in which this production was made is FILM, not drawn in comic form on paper. this inevitably morphs the character to accommodate the big screen story.

tell us all how you know it ISN'T selling like hot cakes before you rebuke the statements of others. in the end, the people who ordered will have a great figure for their iron man collection and you'll have nothing in hand but your hand. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Last edited:
i guess you haven't been around here much or purchased hot toys figures so i'll clue you in. when a figure goes on sale, if people are purchasing they will say so in this forum. they will also let us know if they're not purchasing. BBTS expelled their preorder allotment within hours. these are better reasons and indicators than your skepticism and disapproval of the filmmakers not making his character comic accurate.

tell us all how you know it ISN'T selling like hot cakes before you rebuke the statements of others. but in the end, the people who ordered will have a great figure and you'll have nothing in hand but hand. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

good points although BBTS has been preorder selling out quite a bit as of late, which to me indicates theyre reducing order sizes, I think this piece will sell just fine, I want one and I ****ing hated iron man 3 :lol

PLease point out a single person who had a problem with Kinsley as the mandarin? its the mandarin as he was portrayed (the role not the look ) that people hate

There were a few people in this thread who were moaning about as to why it was Kingsley and not an asian actor.
Of course, now we know that it didn't matter what he looked like.
He was just a patsy.
But some people did moan. I just can't be bothered looking for their posts, lol.

good points although BBTS has been preorder selling out quite a bit as of late, which to me indicates theyre reducing order sizes, I think this piece will sell just fine, I want one and I ****ing hated iron man 3 :lol

I think your first point is slightly off in that I believe Hot Toys have reduced the stock allocations to any suppliers other than their official distributor (in this case SSC) and they set the amount that SSC can dispatch to 3rd party sellers.

I too did not really enjoy IM-III too much. But there is no way that I am missing this figure!

I think your first point is slightly off in that I believe Hot Toys have reduced the stock allocations to any suppliers other than their official distributor (in this case SSC) and they set the amount that SSC can dispatch to 3rd party sellers.

I too did not really enjoy IM-III too much. But there is no way that I am missing this figure!

I can tell you that HT does not dictate who SS sells too, regardless of where they go HT gets their money from sideshow, its sideshow who makes slightly less from wholesale, A little though before a post goes a long way

There were a few people in this thread who were moaning about as to why it was Kingsley and not an asian actor.
Of course, now we know that it didn't matter what he looked like.
He was just a patsy.
But some people did moan. I just can't be bothered looking for their posts, lol.

What asian actor? from the China cut?

I took it as people saying that well killian turned out to really be the mandarin so..? kinda thing

This guy is saying people were complaining that Kinsley was even cast in the first place, which Ive never once heard

I can tell you that HT does not dictate who SS sells too, regardless of where they go HT gets their money from sideshow, its sideshow who makes slightly less from wholesale, A little though before a post goes a long way

i agree. it's sideshow limiting the allocation to BBTS. it's also sideshow saying BBTS and other retailers cannot sell under suggested retail price. i personally think BBTS was kicking sideshow's butt in sales because they don't require a NRD.

i agree. it's sideshow limiting the allocation to BBTS. it's also sideshow saying BBTS and other retailers cannot sell under suggested retail price. i personally think BBTS was kicking sideshow's butt in sales because they don't require a NRD.

I dunno I still think their just ordering less so they actually sell out, instead of having stock laying around (which would build up fast) you could be right though. It would mean high retail sales for Sideshow as they make better margins on that

What asian actor? from the China cut?

I took it as people saying that well killian turned out to really be the mandarin so..? kinda thing

This guy is saying people were complaining that Kinsley was even cast in the first place, which Ive never once heard

Before the film came out, before all the fanboys cried into their cornflakes due to the "travesty" of slightly deviating from comic canon(As though that hadn't happened in any Marvel movie up till then), There were a few people bent out of shape that the Mandarin was not played by a chinese or eastern asian actor.
They saw that the character was meant to be a Bin-Laden style character(Which they could just about handle), but they still thought it should have been cast properly.
It was a minority of course. But there were people moaning.

Sounds right. Lately, I haven't seen any popular SS HT PO that hasn't turned to PREORDER - SOLD OUT within hours / days at BBTS.

i guess you haven't been around here much or purchased hot toys figures so i'll clue you in. when a figure is on sale and people are purchasing it they will say so in this forum. they will also let us know if they're not purchasing and why. this has proven to be a great way to determine if collectors in general are buying or shunning the release...whether collectors like it or they don't. BBTS expelled their preorder allotment within hours. these are better reasons and indicators than your skepticism and disapproval of the filmmakers not making the character comic accurate. we're going to call those people comic purists that haven't accepted that the media in which this production was made is FILM, not drawn in comic form on paper. this inevitably morphs the character to accommodate the big screen story.

tell us all how you know it ISN'T selling like hot cakes before you rebuke the statements of others. in the end, the people who ordered will have a great figure for their iron man collection and you'll have nothing in hand but your hand. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I think you're giving the SSF community too much power. I don't think the collectors here even make up 10% of who HT sells to. WE here are not a large enough sample size to determine whether or not something is selling well.

i guess you haven't been around here much or purchased hot toys figures so i'll clue you in. when a figure is on sale and people are purchasing it they will say so in this forum. they will also let us know if they're not purchasing and why.

Yeah, so all twelve of you punters posting "ORDERED!!!" are a sign this figure "is selling like hot cakes." I'm one of those idiots who prefers things a tidge more official than heresay; that is just me.

I'm not the one making definite statements on heresay. Perhaps this figure is indeed "selling like hot cakes" but I need a little more proof. A sellout or inventory-check at SSC would go a long way toward convincing me that it is selling well. Not seeing that as yet, and probably wont for a while. As I recall Loki went through about ten such adjustments, indicating the edition was experiencing fairly heavy preorder activity.

Everyone knows the BBTS allotments are comparatively small, so them selling out is much less telling. They sell out of EVERYTHING.

As someone with less than no interest in this figure, this is all academic to me. But it has its amusing side too. Enjoy this figure, those of you who want him. I in my turn will enjoy those in which I have genuine interest. Why would I want to have in-hand a figure I'm not interested in, that gibe makes no sense whatsoever.

I think you're giving the SSF community too much power. I don't think the collectors here even make up 10% of who HT sells to. WE here are not a large enough sample size to determine whether or not something is selling well.

not too much power, but just a gauge on how popular something is or isn't. i personally feel this forum is one of the most popular and better if not best 1/6 scale figure board around.

not too much power, but just a gauge on how popular something is or isn't. i personally feel this forum is one of the most popular and better if not best 1/6 scale figure board around.

That may be true. But IMO, there is simply no way to gauge if something is selling well. ( short of every post being for or against ). Especially since its only been up for PO for 3 day. I have seen many more members in this thread say they are not getting this than are. And in a poll on facebook, more than 2/3 of those who voted said they were not getting. And who knows if all that is any measure.

Its simply not possible to gauge. Especially this early. But hey, think what you want. You're entitled to do so.

Yeah, so all twelve of you punters posting "ORDERED!!!" are a sign this figure "is selling like hot cakes." I'm one of those idiots who prefers things a tidge more official than heresay; that is just me.

I'm not the one making definite statements on heresay. Perhaps this figure is indeed "selling like hot cakes" but I need a little more proof. A sellout or inventory-check at SSC would go a long way toward convincing me that it is selling well. Not seeing that as yet, and probably wont for a while. As I recall Loki went through about ten such adjustments, indicating the edition was experiencing fairly heavy preorder activity.

Everyone knows the BBTS allotments are comparatively small, so them selling out is much less telling. They sell out of EVERYTHING.

As someone with less than no interest in this figure, this is all academic to me. But it has its amusing side too. Enjoy this figure, those of you who want him. I in my turn will enjoy those in which I have genuine interest. Why would I want to have in-hand a figure I'm not interested in, that gibe makes no sense whatsoever.

for every negative opinion you come up with why this figure isn't popular, i can come up with a positive why it is. this can go on forever so let's look at the facts.

many here hated IM3, but have said they are ordering or have already ordered the mandarin. FACT.

the hot toys display at comic con had the mandarin featured as the centerpiece among many other figures, and i don't remember reading or hearing one negative comment about those who saw it in person. go to you tube and hear the comments of those people who uploaded a video. remember this is about the figure, and not how people like how the mandarin was portrayed in the movie. FACT.

the figure gives a good amount of accessories including an antique chair for him to sit in for a relatively small retail price of $215. FACT.

the awesome head sculpt, although never finalized by hot toys until it ships, has gotten MANY positive comments on the ben kingsley likeness, some even saying this is one of the best human sculpts to come along in a great while from hot toys. FACT.

do you have any facts to lend, or is your argument opinion driven only? but don't take my word for it. do a google search on reviews of the mandarin figure and see what other people are saying. you're in the minority chief.

Last edited:
That may be true. But IMO, there is simply no way to gauge if something is selling well. ( short of every post being for or against ). Especially since its only been up for PO for 3 day. I have seen many more members in this thread say they are not getting this than are. And in a poll on facebook, more than 2/3 of those who voted said they were not getting. And who knows if all that is any measure.

Its simply not possible to gauge. Especially this early. But hey, think what you want. You're entitled to do so.

i could swear those same people said they are not getting hawkeye, or whiplash, or bane, or previous iron man releases. then when it's sold out, those same people are paying double or more, scrambling to buy one from someone on the board or ebay.

and likewise, think what you want. but if past experience can determine popularity when a character as good as mandarin is hated or bashed when first going on sale, this will sell out and this will be desirable in the near future to collectors who missed the boat. it'll be funny to see them kicking themselves.

i could swear those same people said they are not getting hawkeye, or whiplash, or bane, or previous iron man releases. then when it's sold out, those same people are paying double or more, scrambling to buy one from someone on the board or ebay.

But you are speculating based on what you think. I don't care personally. I PO'd this the second it went up. I'm simply stating that you are not basing you posts on any kind of fact. You may be right. But there is simply no way to know.

1317984891_bear_cub_falls_asleep_on_nose.gif

Further to the new "I could care less thread"

I could care less if this sells well or not, I liked the portrayal of the mandarin in iron man 3, like iron man figures in general-have most figures. And this is on my po list:wave

I like what I like, my interest are different than others. Do I feel bad for the fans of x-men and Prometheus for them not getting the figures promised,sure, but I am not losing sleep over it.

Back