Hot Toys Moon Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell that to every headsculpt ever.

That plastic hood aint gonna look like fabric no matter what they do.
I have plenty of headsculpts that are far and away better than their prototypes. Heck, HT just showed off new and improved headsculpts for their Pat-Batman.

Don’t get me wrong, plastic is not ideal, but I know they prototyped fabric for him and it probably just didn’t pass. I’ve had my own terrible experiences with patterned, quilted hoods and there’s so much detail in Moon Knight’s that I fully understand why they went with the sculpt. Even set photos often make the hood look weirdly artificial (and the CG versions don’t help).

I’m currently making my own Azrael figure and just doing a similar hood is a royal pain. I’m thinking of using a plastic shell and gluing that fabric to it so it keeps its shape.

I have plenty of headsculpts that are far and away better than their prototypes. Heck, HT just showed off new and improved headsculpts for their Pat-Batman.

Don’t get me wrong, plastic is not ideal, but I know they prototyped fabric for him and it probably just didn’t pass. I’ve had my own terrible experiences with patterned, quilted hoods and there’s so much detail in Moon Knight’s that I fully understand why they went with the sculpt. Even set photos often make the hood look weirdly artificial (and the CG versions don’t help).

I’m currently making my own Azrael figure and just doing a similar hood is a royal pain. I’m thinking of using a plastic shell and gluing that fabric to it so it keeps its shape.
I'm sorry but none of the HT headsculpts have better paint applications than what the prototype shows, it's always way softer and flatter in mass production even if it's still a good sculpt.

If you think this looks good then more power to you, but it looks like absolute dog **** to me (it's not just the hood btw, it's the entire thing :lol).

1654011591043.png

With a fabric hood the whole figure it would be a lot better IMO although in that pic above, it's just the bits at the side that looks bad

With a fabric hood the whole figure it would be a lot better IMO although in that pic above, it's just the bits at the side that looks bad
But you can tell the inconsistency between the colouring and texture of the hood and cape in that picture too. And then…you notice the giant gaps between the hood and the head/neck…

I'm sorry but none of the HT headsculpts have better paint applications than what the prototype shows, it's always way softer and flatter in mass production even if it's still a good sculpt.

If you think this looks good then more power to you, but it looks like absolute dog **** to me (it's not just the hood btw, it's the entire thing :lol).
If this figure looks like "absolute dog****" to you, what does an actually objectively bad sculpt look like to you? Such as the current Doc Ock sculpt? or that smiling Ant-Man? How many even worse adjectives can you dig up? Your hyperbole is nonsensical. Hot toys not going for a cloth hood does not equal "dog****".

I'm just as underwhelmed as everyone else, but with all those crisscrossing fabric layers I really don't see how HT had any choice except to make the figure the way they did. Unless you want this to be a super premium figure that costs $600 or more, and that's just not what HT does.

The only thing there isn't an excuse for is not including a Oscar Isaac headsculpt. That's something that just should have been a given with this figure.

Last edited:
I'm just as underwhelmed as everyone else, but with all those crisscrossing fabric layers I really don't see how HT had any choice except to make the figure the way they did. Unless you want this to be a super premium figure that costs $600 or more, and that's just not what HT does.
Exactly my point. Can it look better? Definitely, but how much do you want to pay? Wait for InArt if you want accuracy lol

Too much shiny plastic. So much to the point that the figure is not representative of what is depicted on screen.

Not just the cloth but the whole physique of the figure is off. He looked very buff and imposing in the suit which the figure doesn't capture. So many aspects of what made the character cool are missing. It just doesn't impress me the way it did in the show.

The break (literally) between the fabric cape to the molded hood seems the most egregious .

At minimum the cowl should match the fabric cape.
Maybe extending the fabric off the cape and onto the hood, heat molding (so it picks up all the molded detail, over a soft(new pliable) sculpted frame for the hood, so it holds it's unique shape and detail, yet still has the fabric from the cape.

Last edited:
Maybe Disney shouldn't have gone with the mummy-esque look and this wouldn't be an issue. Something from Egypt doesn't have to equate looking like a mummy.

Back