1/6 Hot Toys - MMS563 - Avenger: Endgame - Captain America (2012 Version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - hmm, not to rain on the parade, but I've never been a fan of the plastic-y canvas or whatever HT has started using, and at least for MCU figs I can't shake the feeling of lesser workmanship/materials tho some better sculpts. That plastic shower curtain feel; and in the Loki re-release, outright printed detail vs. the original.

Which I knew this fig was using, but could roll with it since I figured it was more retro fig anyway. He LOOKS good. Nice sculpt since I don't have any EG figs for me this is new.

But he can't really get his arms up, which IMO is pretty annoying if this is suppose to be an upgrade. He's really bound up in the shoulders. I don't like the join of the split boots, it feels kind of toyish. And finally the shield clips are the worst I've dealt with - truly cheesy and I broke both straps, with hardly any effort. Not sure I am happy with the combined head and neck.

Fortunately picked him up one of Sideshow's deals plus RPs, so on the shelf he does the job - Cap LOOKs good. He FEELS more like an upscale Neca figure or something. I just can't get the enthusiasm compared to something like IW Bucky (cloth) or the older Caps (cloth). I sure wouldn't be fighting to get the Stealth Cap re-release tho, compared to the original (even tho I know the complaints and problems). If a classic Bucky is re-released from TWS I'd probably pick it up, if only to get a presumed sculpt upgrade and maybe the Gerber knife. But I figure HT might use more of this plastic cloth.:pfft:

Or maybe I shouldn't be feeling up my figures. :monkey3 But man, the SW line just seems better; at least Mando and Boba lines. And the older figs just seem like more effort was put into them.

HottoysCap2012.jpg

And the older figs just seem like more effort was put into them.
I can kind of see that ... here's a well-established brand with a committed fan base streamlining and simplifying their production while raising prices, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. Maybe something was indeed lost in the process, in spite of the fact that there are demonstrable improvements with some of the production elements (paint being the big one) ...

I can kind of see that ... here's a well-established brand with a committed fan base streamlining and simplifying their production while raising prices, and it doesn't seem to be hurting them. Maybe something was indeed lost in the process, in spite of the fact that there are demonstrable improvements with some of the production elements (paint being the big one) ...
:exactly:

I just don't have that little feeling of awe I get at having a character miniaturized down to 1/6 scale, in fantastic detail, like, say, the second Tusken I got in (even tho there are complaints/discussion about the Tuskens!) Well, all collectors are different in what they look for. Yeah, this plastic cloth does fit close to the body - but I figure if you are gonna use that material, a figure would have great articulation, and this Cap is gonna be more like a statue than anything.

But, I got a great deal and didn't pay anywhere near full price, and from a foot away in a museum pose he looks great. I was just expecting at least more articulation and wasn't expecting the to have to repair the shield straps pretty much out the box (unbelievably cheap fragile clips :cuss :cuss :cuss :pfft:.) I figure the long delayed Loki will be the same, costume wise - lots of costume corner cutting from the original. Just hope they fix the bowling ball head effect on Loki.:monkey3

Not sure how Avengers Cap stacks up yet as I don't have this one in hand yet, but oddly enough the stealth cap feels different. It kinda gives off the same appearance, but its softer. Nothing like Endgame or IW Cap.

Read the thread on "new" Stealth Cap - after all the mess with it being limited? hope folks are happy. I've got no desire - especially with this plastic cloth - to replace my original. Even tho it has all the original problems including the flat chest.:lol Always figured the padding would soften up in time, but it didn't.

Last edited:
I’m in the camp that prefers the older fabric of suits as opposed to the newer synthetic material they started using. Despite the somewhat boxy shoulders, regular CW Cap with an AoU sculpt represents Cap in my EG “big three vs Thanos” display along with EG Thor, Mk46, and EG (regular) Thanos.

The old fabric was fine, but the tailoring needs to be better than those older figures if they're going to go back to that as well as the use of stiff plastic and foam they used to add into the fabric that I guess was meant to hold certain shapes. Like how original Strike Cap could barely get his arms to bend 90degress due to what they applied on the underside of the fabric. And the boxy look was a combination of the body they used and tailoring. While the leg articulation seems to suffer in these newer figures, I tend to get more arm/shoulder articulation in the newer material than the old.

The old fabric was fine, but the tailoring needs to be better than those older figures if they're going to go back to that as well as the use of stiff plastic and foam they used to add into the fabric that I guess was meant to hold certain shapes. Like how original Strike Cap could barely get his arms to bend 90degress due to what they applied on the underside of the fabric. And the boxy look was a combination of the body they used and tailoring. While the leg articulation seems to suffer in these newer figures, I tend to get more arm/shoulder articulation in the newer material than the old.
This one can barely be moved. I guess I was expecting the articulation of the original Black Panther. I don't dare try to force much with this one. Cap is just gonna hafta stand looking heroic. Just as well since I used coated wire to put the shield on his arm after the pathetic clips fell apart. Nice sculpt tho and he does add some color to my Cap collection.

This one can barely be moved. I guess I was expecting the articulation of the original Black Panther. I don't dare try to force much with this one. Cap is just gonna hafta stand looking heroic. Just as well since I used coated wire to put the shield on his arm after the pathetic clips fell apart. Nice sculpt tho and he does add some color to my Cap collection.
It could just be stiff due to being a brand new piece. Jedha Patrol's youtube review of the figure shows you can get some pretty good and fairly dynamic poses out of this figure. But of course, I understand not really wanting to push the joints further than you feel comfortable given the cost of these things

It could just be stiff due to being a brand new piece. Jedha Patrol's youtube review of the figure shows you can get some pretty good and fairly dynamic poses out of this figure. But of course, I understand not really wanting to push the joints further than you feel comfortable given the cost of these things
I hope eventually there is more give. But it could be small individual differences and maybe my Cap just has a minute bit more of padding binding things up. Yeah I really don't want to try forcing too much and ripping the suit. He can stay museum pose - but will check the vid out, thanx!

Edit: Well thanks to the vid, got inspired and was able to articulate Cap a bit more, so am happier. Or maybe there was some slight stretch after working with the fig. Will probably work on replacing the shield buckles at some point, tho wiring it on works pretty well. But it bothers the purist in me :lol

Cap does look good; I gotta try the helmet sculpt. The red boots and gloves so retro. From pics I'd say the sculpt upgrade is a definite improvement. For all my whining, saw mention of the original Cap having some bleeding from the red to the white areas. OK, I'll keep this one; the only way I know to fix that would be to go in with a Q-tip and bleach solution. This one I don't think would ever dye bleed.

I've got a flaky shield from the original but was always planning to scorch it and use it as a battle damaged shield in a display.

Last edited:
I hope eventually there is more give. But it could be small individual differences and maybe my Cap just has a minute bit more of padding binding things up. Yeah I really don't want to try forcing too much and ripping the suit. He can stay museum pose - but will check the vid out, thanx!

Edit: Well thanks to the vid, got inspired and was able to articulate Cap a bit more, so am happier. Or maybe there was some slight stretch after working with the fig. Will probably work on replacing the shield buckles at some point, tho wiring it on works pretty well. But it bothers the purist in me :lol

Cap does look good; I gotta try the helmet sculpt. The red boots and gloves so retro. From pics I'd say the sculpt upgrade is a definite improvement. For all my whining, saw mention of the original Cap having some bleeding from the red to the white areas. OK, I'll keep this one; the only way I know to fix that would be to go in with a Q-tip and bleach solution. This one I don't think would ever dye bleed.

I've got a flaky shield from the original but was always planning to scorch it and use it as a battle damaged shield in a display.

So I take it you're warming up to A1 2.0 Cap? ;)

So I take it you're warming up to A1 2.0 Cap? ;)
LOL well yeah, after all my whining :lol

For one thing, with the closely fit rubbery suit and carefully cut padding, he's a *sexy beast* :lol:monkey3
He LOOKs really retro-heroic on the shelf. Definitely America's @ss.:lol

Plus thanx to Gipetto's post and watching the vid, I've carefully able to get enough articulation to satisfy me anyway. I don't typically do extreme poses; I just wanted a bit more life from the fig. Not the only fig I have that's all bound up tho, one way or the other (like my Widows that will never be able to do the classic tiger crouch pose). I'm not inclined to go in and mod padding.

The rubbery/plastic red boots and gloves just finishes the look. Still have that nagging impression that earlier HTs had more care taken, even if the sculpts weren't as good, and there's the *&^ strap clips I need to fix:cuss. (As an aside, reading about the cheap plastic breaking in the IM 50 arms - for real, at least some plastic components whatever HT is using lately is way too flimsy and brittle:pfft:).

But thanks to RPs and the SSC deal at the time, I don't regret the purchase in the end. Am grateful for my earlier Caps tho, even with the flat chest on the Stealth fig😁. He's pretty stiff too. (Think CW Cap will always be my fav but maybe that's contaminated thinking from liking TWS and CW so much.)

As another aside, suppose if they re-release Bucky from TWS he'll get the tight plastic pants as well😁. Whatever, I just want the Gerber knife and maybe the custom jacket they had in the film. Am sure any re-release isn't gonna be as accessory loaded as the original. It'd be good if the Loki re-release ever shows up, I keep forgetting I ordered him.:impatient: He'll be good to put with this Cap.

@Sassafras if you bought from SSC, are you still under the 30day return/replacement window to ask for a replacement shield since the clips broke?
Because other than saving me some work, don't think it will fix the problem e.g. HT used cheap brittle plastic which to my mind will only get worse in time. In this case when I get around to it I'd rather fix it properly once with better sourced parts. I mean, you barely touch the clip and the pointy bits that snap into the buckle just fall off. There's better parts out there.

I might redo the whole strap at some point. IMO Cap's shield straps should be able to take SOME stress. First time I've run into this but it's these kind of issues that just makes me feel like older figs were done with more care.

Clips breaking on the shield is a long standing cap figure tradition at this point.

I'd be disappointed if they were fixed :lol
Really? I have most of the Caps and this was a first for me. I've had a strap peel off a shield and that's about it.
Hope your fig came in - this is probably my last Cap. From HT anyway.

Really? I have most of the Caps and this was a first for me. I've had a strap peel off a shield and that's about it.
Hope your fig came in - this is probably my last Cap. From HT anyway.

Yeah I believe I've had various shield malfunctions on the original avengers release, original stealth suit, and possibly TFA? I remember people's civil war versions breaking as well. It's just the nature of the materials combined with the design.

All is well with my Avengers Cap though! He is also my last one. At least until they remake first avenger version or something. I'm probably alone in this, but I think the new material used on 2012 cap and stealth suit are a perfect compromise. Vastly superior to the endgame and infinity war material.
20221125_164820-02.jpeg

Yeah I believe I've had various shield malfunctions on the original avengers release, original stealth suit, and possibly TFA? I remember people's civil war versions breaking as well. It's just the nature of the materials combined with the design.

All is well with my Avengers Cap though! He is also my last one. At least until they remake first avenger version or something. I'm probably alone in this, but I think the new material used on 2012 cap and stealth suit are a perfect compromise. Vastly superior to the endgame and infinity war material.
View attachment 609847

Are you saying the "canvas" is smoother and less - well, plasticy? I've gotta go find my IW bashed Cap - I have the original body with a KO sculpt. Imagine some of my distaste for HT's more recent materials is the *emotional scar* :monkey3 :lol left by my disappointment with the IW fig (it was gonna be the best Cap evah!); and I was willing to pay for what I imagined was gonna be a top line fig, cloth torn to show the scale maille, great sculpt, etc. Well, I know some like that fig, but I didn't:(. Including the seamgate sculpt.:pfft:

But I rewatched Avengers 1 and feel even better about this Cap, because, in fact, the Avengers uniform isn't smooth, it's some sort of heavy textured knit, close to the body, which this fig emulates pretty well. Probably better than the original Avengers Cap.

Dunno why the "pebbly" texture of the IW Cap outfit, among other things, irritates me so much. It's hard to tell a few feet away. Guess I'd been spoiled by all the Cap figs I'd had, up to then. All the to-scale cloth and buckles. Except, I didn't have the original Avengers Cap.

Now I do, except for the cowl; but whatever😁. Now I gotta go rewatch all the movies. I pretty much stopped at Civil War figs except for the superb IW Bucky, Nat (a fig I like a lot, even if many didn't), and a kitbash IW Cap to go with (I keep him in back on the shelf tho). TBH wish they would upscale and re-release IW Cap, but they probably won't.

Glad your fig came in! I pretty much started collecting around TWS; Strike Cap was probably my first HT set, or one of the first; I'll be keeping the original flat chest and all😁.

But like your pic shows, this Cap pops on the shelf. Ultimately glad I have him after my initial whining.
He'll go great with Loki (if Loki ever gets here) and the "Singapore hotel release"? power pose IM 46. The case and staff I guess will stay in the box.

Back