Hot Toys - MMS179 - The Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't buy the lizard. I would buy Gwen thOugh :rock

622.gif

Hit the road Tobey, Andrew Garfield IS Spider-Man, as if he was ripped straight out of the pages of a Marvel comic.

Maybe we saw different movies, or maybe it was ripped from the Ultimate Spider-Man comics (which I admittedly haven't read much of)... but while I did enjoy the new film, I still prefer the Tobey/ Sam Raimi take on the character from the first 2 films- Especially in regards to how Peter Parker was handled.

The essence of Peter Parker is that he is a nerd. He isn't cool, he doesn't have luck with girls, he doesn't even have people that will talk to him without making fun of him. Nobody should look at Peter Parker and go "Man, I wish I was that kid". With Tobey's Spidey, I got that. He can't talk to MJ without being incredibly awkward, he takes nerdy delight in science, he wears dorky glasses and dresses in geeky clothes. With Garfield's Parker, I don't get that. I would have been perfectly fine being that guy in high school... He dresses cool, he skateboards around the school (despite teachers telling him not too), other kids talk to him, girls seem to like his brooding looks... None of that is Peter Parker. I never got the sense of it being hard for it to be this guy in high school.

I also didn't feel the "Great Power, Great Responsibility" thing played as well in this film. In the Raimi movies, we see Spidey at first using his power for personal gain- He's had enough of being this nerdy outcast loser and sees the powers as a way to get the things he has always wanted- Girls, Money, Popularity, etc. He feels a sense of entitlement to these things because he has suffered so long without them... Then comes the horrid realization that through this selfishness with his powers- using them for his own personal gain- he has lost the person closest in the world to him. That part of the story is played so well in the Raimi films, but is quickly glossed through here. (this next part may get a little spoilery though, so let me put tags around)

Spoiler Spoiler:

All that being said- I did enjoy the film, and I will still buy the figure. Once he gets into the mindset of being Spidey and accepts his role, we get some really strong "Spider-Many" moments- enough so that I want the figure and am eagerly awaiting what they do with him in the sequel.

But as of now, I'll still take Spider-Man 1 & 2 as my definitive Spidey films. Of course, that is just my opinion and I don't fault anyone for preferring one over the other.

Sallah

Last edited:
I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I agree with your take on Tobey's Parker. However, the thing to keep in mind is that with the current generation, tech is cool and being a "nerd" isn't the hardship that it was during the 60's or even my generation (being a child of the 80's). Tobey's Parker was at the end of that cusp, and the iPod/iPhone/iPad generation has solidified that 'geek is good'.

In some ways, the facet of Peter Parker's origin of being the nerdy outcast is no longer relevant in today's culture, so would that really have made as much sense?

Going to see the movie tonight, so I will have more of an opinion after getting to see it.

Last edited:
Sallah's post is exactly what I was concerned about with this reboot: That we'd get eye candy effects and a more hip/cool Spidey, but lose the heart of the character.

Maybe it is just my take on it... and I strongly encourage every Spidey fan to see the film to make their own judgements (it is worth it for the Spidey Vs. Lizard fights alone), but-

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sallah

Last edited:
Cannot wait to get this figure, but i can only hope that hot toys darken the suit a bit like the photo's earlier on in this thread. i will be getting one regardless haha.

By the way, now that the film is released, when do you guys think we will see the Peter Parker sculpt? Comiic Con maybe, i hope sooner, i cant wait to see it!

Maybe we saw different movies, or maybe it was ripped from the Ultimate Spider-Man comics (which I admittedly haven't read much of)... but while I did enjoy the new film, I still prefer the Tobey/ Sam Raimi take on the character from the first 2 films- Especially in regards to how Peter Parker was handled.

The essence of Peter Parker is that he is a nerd. He isn't cool, he doesn't have luck with girls, he doesn't even have people that will talk to him without making fun of him. Nobody should look at Peter Parker and go "Man, I wish I was that kid". With Tobey's Spidey, I got that. He can't talk to MJ without being incredibly awkward, he takes nerdy delight in science, he wears dorky glasses and dresses in geeky clothes. With Garfield's Parker, I don't get that. I would have been perfectly fine being that guy in high school... He dresses cool, he skateboards around the school (despite teachers telling him not too), other kids talk to him, girls seem to like his brooding looks... None of that is Peter Parker. I never got the sense of it being hard for it to be this guy in high school.

I also didn't feel the "Great Power, Great Responsibility" thing played as well in this film. In the Raimi movies, we see Spidey at first using his power for personal gain- He's had enough of being this nerdy outcast loser and sees the powers as a way to get the things he has always wanted- Girls, Money, Popularity, etc. He feels a sense of entitlement to these things because he has suffered so long without them... Then comes the horrid realization that through this selfishness with his powers- using them for his own personal gain- he has lost the person closest in the world to him. That part of the story is played so well in the Raimi films, but is quickly glossed through here. (this next part may get a little spoilery though, so let me put tags around)

Spoiler Spoiler:

All that being said- I did enjoy the film, and I will still buy the figure. Once he gets into the mindset of being Spidey and accepts his role, we get some really strong "Spider-Many" moments- enough so that I want the figure and am eagerly awaiting what they do with him in the sequel.

But as of now, I'll still take Spider-Man 1 & 2 as my definitive Spidey films. Of course, that is just my opinion and I don't fault anyone for preferring one over the other.

Sallah

:goodpost::goodpost:

Having said that, I feel that the reason that they played down the responsibility part (intentionally or not) is because with this Peter Parker the whole Spider-man thing happened because of one catalyst, that is wanting to know more about his parents. They glossed over the Uncle Ben part to put more focus on Peter's search for the truth regarding his parents.

Overall, this movie is a good tangent for the Raimi one, and, if anything, a good reboot in a sense that they're not telling the same story twice.. And Garfield and Stone have way more chemistry together than Tobey and Dunst ever did, IMO.

going to see this thursday, am going to wait to see if i want to pre order this after that as i still have iron man and hulk from avengers line to complete the whole team, and bane and catwoman

Overall, this movie is a good tangent for the Raimi one, and, if anything, a good reboot in a sense that they're not telling the same story twice..

Totally agree in that aspect. With this reboot coming faster than was probably needed, the best move they could make is not directly repeating what was done in the Raimi films (especially since it was done so well in the first 2).

Again, I haven't read much Ultimate Spider-Man... but that is the view I am taking with these films: The Tobey films are "my" classic Spidey, while this new film is like a version from the "Ultimate" universe. Just like in comics, just because you prefer one doesn't mean you have to hate the other. There is room enough for both... I just prefer the Raimi take on it.

Sallah

Back