1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way late to the party but I really like this figure, I even like the color as it looks very close to some of the behind the scenes photos.
Ordered some small rhinestones to fix the biggest problem with the figure. I wish they made the eyes a bit less round and sculpted the head a bit more but other than that very happy. The lighting can really makes a difference on how the Jawas looks. Might even get another.

Attachments

• 20220520_232836.jpg
    20220520_232836.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220520_232851.jpg
    20220520_232851.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 0
Way late to the party but I really like this figure, I even like the color as it looks very close to some of the behind the scenes photos.
Ordered some small rhinestones to fix the biggest problem with the figure. I wish they made the eyes a bit less round and sculpted the head a bit more but other than that very happy. The lighting can really makes a difference on how the Jawas looks. Might even get another.

Rhinestones make for an amazing transformation. They really bring these little guys to life!

The Jawas are my favorite characters in star wars so you can imagine this is one of my favorite figures 😂 despite the disapointingg things about the release.. Id go for a second but considering what I payed for it Ill stick to the one and his buddy droid!

Just got the Rhinestones. HUGE improvement!

Attachments

• 20220522_122421.jpg
    20220522_122421.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220522_123336.jpg
    20220522_123336.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 0
This fig always looks like a plush Jawa toy to me - something inherently unconvincing as a realistic 1/6 representation of a Jawa. Even the robe that everyone seemed to love initially just isn't quite posable enough. I also ended up putting mine on a taller body because it just looks too short, and swapped the head for a SSC Jawa head (which looks good with lights on or off.)

I only just finished building an accurate gonk droid too - the one that comes with the set was inaccurate in so many ways, even the height.

Wow! The rhinestones make a huge difference. Looks great grodd!
Anyone try the rhinestones on the SS Jawas?
The SSC Jawas don't really need them the way the HT version does - the SSC eyes look decent with lights off. The light somehow catches the non-lit SSC eyes enough that you can see them (not as bright as rhinestones, but passable.)

It's funny that the SSC Jawas were pretty maligned in the day (mostly due to the V.1 bodies) yet in the end they were pretty good. I have my modded HT Jawa as the "hero display" Jawa but I'd say with some work on the robes (re-color, some paint to make the fabric weave more visible,) the SSC Jawas would likely look better.

I used this one at amazon. I believe the 3mm size.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YRG0BZ2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Both Jawas have some advantages and disadvantages for me. But for some reason the headsculpt on this one isn't as great and they have the eyes protruding out a bit unlike Sideshow which has them more recessed. That's why the rhinestones come in so handy on the figure. Interestingly enough, the original Jawa from ANH had a mask made out of duct tape. I was also thinking about modding up with something that looked closer like what I've attached.
But I greatly prefer this robe because of the texture and pose-ability. Also this one matches some of the daytime shots from ANH. As opposed to the Sideshow color which looks more like the "dusk" Jawas when they first capture R2D2.

1st photo attached shows some of the different colors used. 2nd photo is a lighter robed Jawa with the completed "Duct tape mask". 3rd photo is the mask being put together.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.23.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.23.40 AM.png
    291 KB · Views: 0
  • jawa2.jpeg
    jawa2.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.33.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 1.33.35 AM.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used this one at amazon. I believe the 3mm size.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YRG0BZ2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Both Jawas have some advantages and disadvantages for me. But for some reason the headsculpt on this one isn't as great and they have the eyes protruding out a bit unlike Sideshow which has them more recessed. That's why the rhinestones come in so handy on the figure. Interestingly enough, the original Jawa from ANH had a mask made out of duct tape. I was also thinking about modding up with something that looked closer like what I've attached.
But I greatly prefer this robe because of the texture and pose-ability. Also this one matches some of the daytime shots from ANH. As opposed to the Sideshow color which looks more like the "dusk" Jawas when they first capture R2D2.

1st photo attached shows some of the different colors used. 2nd photo is a lighter robed Jawa with the completed "Duct tape mask". 3rd photo is the mask being put together.
Jawas, like Tuskens, suffer from "photo fade-itis," and I mean badly. It is so hard to get pics that accurately depict the robe colors because they have been reprinted so many times (often sourced from 70s/80s era print technology) so you can pretty much find whatever shade of robe color you want.

Tusken robes can look everything from a light yellow-sand color to tan to darker taupe-brown. Look at the color variation in this jawa photo group from google, all taken from the same photo shoot:

V3uD5qi.jpg

You can see how pics get distorted - this is an autograph pic next to how the same jawa and lighting appears onscreen:

SZdq4Mf.jpg

It's very hard to get 100% accurate - some people will even say the gold standard is Jawa costume robes at a exhibition, but it's unclear how much fading could have occured with time.

I find that very hi res screen captures (adjusted as best you can using whites and colors you know like 3PO and R2) are the best to decide what color stuff like Jawa robes are, which almost seem like a burgundy red crossed with orange-tan. You can see in this pic the HT Jawa's color seems most like the Jawa's leather coat, like the Kenner plastic cape Jawa:

gDXChQr.jpg

Im probably alone in this but I much prefer the hot toys jawa to the sideshow one. Maybe not for a new hope specifically but as a general representation. I always thought the little junk traders looked adorable. That comes through more in the hot toys.

IMG_20220523_151520.jpg

I dated a jawa for a while. Their quite furry.

I like the HT Jawa color because it reminds me of the Kenner plastic cape jawa color.

In some ways I often prefer the Kenner interpretation to the onscreen version (eg I love the aqua color of Kenner 2-1B versus the metallic silver the movie prop actually is, same with the Kenner tan vs costume white of Leia's Hoth vest, the Kenner Tusken sand color vs costume's taupe-brown, and obviously Han's Hoth coat.)

Im probably alone in this but I much prefer the hot toys jawa to the sideshow one. Maybe not for a new hope specifically but as a general representation. I always thought the little junk traders looked adorable. That comes through more in the hot toys.

I also prefer the HT Jawa. The colour is consistent with their appearance after ANH was filmed.

I also prefer the HT Jawa. The colour is consistent with their appearance after ANH was filmed.
To be fair though, it's clear HT intended this release to be an ANH Jawa (even if it kinda coincided with Jawas appearing in Mando, which confused some about whether this was a Mando-linked release.)

This is my heavily modded HT Jawa with SSC head, hands (I hated the HT hands on this) and partly SSC leather bandoliers/blaster (the HT bandoliers are nicely done, but the SSC ones look like much more realistic) with custom power droid. I also added about an inch in height to the Jawa.

I totally love the big HT Jawa blaster but it's only accurate to ROTJ (even if it dates back to the production of ANH) so it's with the SSC Jawas in my Jabba dio.

RqLxQHz.jpg
1dgfTFJ.jpg

Back