1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took a lot of work (and addition of Sideshow parts - including a Sideshow Jawa head, it's really only the robe and body that are HT) but I got mine to a level that I could tolerate. I added a 1/2" of height to mine too. He just seemed too short.

In the context of my larger Tatooine cabinet, he's fine enough. The color does bug me, but I have too many other custom projects on the bench to think about dyeing the robe.

I'm actually considering actually using the "Poop muffin" stands - though with a sand color (and texture) addition. I'll use those once I've finished building my Rustyj gonk droid (I did substantial rebuilds to the kit so has taken a really long time.)

uQ0TNWi.jpg

That looks great!! Nice job!!

I opened mine today. The colour of the robe doesn't bother me. The power droid is cool. Overall I think the set is good. Am I happy I got it?... not sure yet.

Nice work on your Jawa TaliBane!

Last edited:
I opened mine today. The colour of the robe doesn't bother me. The power droid is cool. Overall I think the set is good. Am I happy I got it?... not sure yet.

Nice work on your Jawa TaliBane!

Hehe. Exactly how I feel! ... I?m actually starting to like both of them. Worth the price? Probably not. A

Your Jawa looks fantastic Talibane! Seems like the perfect combination of parts.

He does look fantastic, Talibane. Was dyeing the robe not an option?

That looks great!! Nice job!!

Thanks guys.:duff

Having the HT Jawa has certainly put a fire under me to create an "ultimate Jawa" custom figure that is very close to the exact right color and has the right body proportions. I've considered dying or painting the Sideshow robe with watered-down paint to create some texture as well as making it a bit more reddish, or using a different fabric altogether. The Hasbro fabric really isn't bad, but it doesn't drape well at all and the outfit is pretty small.

Even the custom Jawa robe that Solo Bones did a few years ago I didn't love.

Who knew a Jawa - a character that's a tatty robe and bandoliers and not much else - would be so incredibly difficult to nail? The main issue is that the type of fabric they used for the Jawa robe is almost impossible to even come close to matching, let alone matching with the right color.

Hi, again. when I was going through the Jawa set I found these tiny pin head silver pieces in a bag under the extra joint pegs. SS's online chat says they're replacements for the power droid. I look at the figure and I'm still not sure what they are?

Attachments

• IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 161
Thanks TonTon. That makes more sense. I thought the same thing, but they were the wrong colour and different sizes.Why would SS say they were for the top of the Gonk droid? Weird.

Yeah HT started doing the "extra nailheads/studs" for figs with holsters, bandoliers etc some time ago. I guess because so many people got a figure where a single little nailhead had fallen off and there was enormous cost in shipping them a whole new one.

The funny thing is that they aren't the easiest thing to handle get glued in place accurately, even if you're provided with one.:lol

And re: Weezer's cracked robe clips, those clips I've found to not be what they appear. They appear to be very fine/small plastic versions of standard metal clips that you can open and close hundreds of times (seen on Hasbro figures etc,) but they are in fact designed to be one-time use clips for the factory. You CAN get them to reclip, but if they don't break on the first unclip/reclip, you will only get maybe 3-5 open/closings before they crack or fail.

It's important if you are for example putting your HT Luke Bespin on a new body because the HT Bespin clothes have those type of clips.

Thanks TonTon. That makes more sense. I thought the same thing, but they were the wrong colour and different sizes.Why would SS say they were for the top of the Gonk droid? Weird.

:duff Had to look at my Jawa as I wasn't sure, but seems the studs around the droid caller are a bit smaller. I guess they could be painted or colored with a brown sharpie if needed. A bit strange they wouldn't be the right color -- I believe the Sandtrooper ones were indeed properly painted ahead of time.

Yeah HT started doing the "extra nailheads/studs" for figs with holsters, bandoliers etc some time ago. I guess because so many people got a figure where a single little nailhead had fallen off and there was enormous cost in shipping them a whole new one.

The funny thing is that they aren't the easiest thing to handle get glued in place accurately, even if you're provided with one.:lol

Agreed, I found fabric glue is better as it at least can be purchased with a very fine needle to deliver the glue and doesn't have off-gassing like super glue, but you need tweezers, definitely takes practice. I've never tried with one of the tiny studs.

Has anyone tried opening up the Jawa's head and either moving the bulb forward or replacing the lights? I am thinking of knocking the lens out and using the round tips of amber led lights as the "eyeball". I just hope I can get the head open without completely destroying it.

I'm not sure the head can be opened with out damaging it. I agree the light inside isn't good.

IMG_5048-2.jpg

I popped it open easy enough. The "eyes" are one plastic piece and the LED goes into the middle, which attempts to make the whole piece glow. The LED is white, and the eye piece is a reddish amber which gives the eyes their color. I haven't had a real chance to come up with an alternative yet.

I waited and waited for a bargain on this 2-pack and finally, Jawa is in the house. I refused to pay full price after all the reviews but now that I have Jawa in hand, I have some comments.

The robe color is not an issue at all. Actually, it matches the original Kenner plastic color and looks good. I have the hardcover book "Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy" by Bandon Allinger and Hot Toys matches the color exactly. I also reviewed my photos from "Magic of the Myth" and the robes are orangish-brown there as well. They just are. I think they look darker on screen from the lighting. My issue with the robe is that there is not enough extra material to drape and show natural folds. The robe lays flat and will need some futzing to fix. The pouches may be slightly too small but look good.

The light feature is a joke. I work with LEDs every day in the sign business and lighting should not be that hard. With such a small figure, at least get the trademark glowing eyes correct. A big fail by Hot Toys.

Gonk Droid is boring and should have had a light feature to justify the price. I cannot tell how accurate it is but the painted oil stains and grime is underwhelming. I dig the feet. Overall, I like the set but dislike the price (even at a discount). Considering this set cost similar to Leia and Wicket, Jawa and Gonk Droid are NOT equal quality and value.

My goal is to have all the Original Trilogy figures as Hot Toys (all 92 with a Blue Snaggletooth) and these will certainly be my only chance for Jawa and Gonk Droid. What are the chances we get C3PO and Death Squad Commander to complete the Original 12?

View attachment 507560

I popped it open easy enough. The "eyes" are one plastic piece and the LED goes into the middle, which attempts to make the whole piece glow. The LED is white, and the eye piece is a reddish amber which gives the eyes their color. I haven't had a real chance to come up with an alternative yet.

I wonder if simply painting the inside of the head with a light-reflecting white paint would help. Black absorbs light so one little LED is doing nothing to give us glowing eyes. With a white interior, the light would bounce around and we would not need direct light to glow the eyes.

EDIT: My 100th post. It only took 14 years!!

View attachment 507560

Awesome, thanks for doing that, how did you pry it open? I am thinking about removing the one light and adding 2 amber lights and maybe using the eye plate as a mount maybe by boring out the premade holes. Or just placing the lights in the eyeholes and mmounting them with apoxie.

Yeah it's pricey. I paid £170 for a parted out EG-6. I still regret not just buying the full set and keeping the jawa in the box.

Back