Hot Toys - MMS 82 - 12 inches Edward Scissorhands collectible figure spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the other figures you mention look like Depp except Sparrow. It could have something to do with the movie rights and not Depp at all. Disney has the rights to the Sparrow image, that's why it was on just about everything you can imagine.

This is a month-old post and someone has already commented on it but I wanna chime in here and say I think this is bull as well.

Both McFarlane Depps (Edward and Ichabod), NECA's Jack, Medicom's Sweeney, they ALL have great Depp likenesses. There's no way you can look at any one of them and try to say that the likeness wasn't secured, let alone done poorly.

Hot Toys doing an Edward Scissorhands? That would have been a must-buy for me if it actually looked like Depp and I can't believe for a second that someone as licensing-friendly as Depp was unwilling to do it. If anything, they got the likeness (I mean, it is all over the packaging) and they just fumbled it badly. Not even Hot Toys is beyond a bad sculpt. Edit: the more I look at the proto pics the more I'm convinced that they were going for Depp and just dropped the ball badly.

As it stands this figure is a very excellent representation of Johnny Depp's stand-in or of a very committed cosplayer but as a figure of the "real" Edward Scissorhands this figure is an epic failure.

This is a month-old post and someone has already commented on it but I wanna chime in here and say I think this is bull as well.

Both McFarlane Depps (Edward and Ichabod), NECA's Jack, Medicom's Sweeney, they ALL have great Depp likenesses. There's no way you can look at any one of them and try to say that the likeness wasn't secured, let alone done poorly.

Hot Toys doing an Edward Scissorhands? That would have been a must-buy for me if it actually looked like Depp and I can't believe for a second that someone as licensing-friendly as Depp was unwilling to do it. If anything, they got the likeness (I mean, it is all over the packaging) and they just fumbled it badly. Not even Hot Toys is beyond a bad sculpt. Edit: the more I look at the proto pics the more I'm convinced that they were going for Depp and just dropped the ball badly.

As it stands this figure is a very excellent representation of Johnny Depp's stand-in or of a very committed cosplayer but as a figure of the "real" Edward Scissorhands this figure is an epic failure.

I was talking strickly Sideshow figures when I made that comment and the figures you mentioned were pointed out to me. And I wasn't stating a fact, but was just commenting on the possiblity since HT usually doesn't get a likeness that "off" without there being a real good reason for it.

I still really like this figure a lot. The plastic straps aren't so bad in person and the outfit on a whole is really nice. The level of detail you'd expect from HT. Head needs repaint though...

The outfit as a whole is nice. I was just mentioning on another thread about what a great job Hot Toys would do on the costume if they ever decided to do a Hellraiser figure.

Sorry, but I know for a fact that they didn't have likeness rights. I'd imagine that since PotC Depp's representation are asking quite a bit for now likeness rights for him.

I'm just guessing, but I'd think that it didn't make economic sense to do the figure if they had to pay for the Depp likeness as well as the character license.

Hot Toys Edward Scissorhands

The box is really well done. It's very different than what Hot Toys usually does. I would take a picture but I am too lazy.

I bet the figure is awesome... I will open it soon. :D

Re: Hot Toys Edward Scissorhands

There are already a couple of threads for this figure.

But yeah you're right, he's a sweet figure if you don't mind the lack of Depps likeness.

I've always wondered how they handle the lack of likeness rights, like when sculpting how does one empirically gauge the percentage of likeness resemblance so that the figure is within the legal allowance?

Sort of an odd request, I was just looking at my Edward's face and noticed he had some wrinkles next to his left eye but not his right eye?
It looks a bit strange so I may apply some paint, but I just wanted to know if anybody else's figure has the same.

I finally picked this guy up! Check out my review here!

Here are a few pics!

Hot+Toys+Edward+Scissorhands+045.JPG

Hot+Toys+Edward+Scissorhands+097.JPG

If HT could of got Depp's likeness for this figure, it would of been amazing. I've been tempted to buy this a number of times now but that sculpt always puts me off. Fingers crossed for a Dx version with HT recent addiction to Depp may be it could happen.

Yeah from the neck down this figure was awesome and would have been a nailed on buy but for that ____ty head. Xenoviper did an awesome sculpty but for whatever reason he was too tight to just sell it unpainted and there was no way i'd pay anyone silly money to paint me a head I could do just as well. Shame

Hmmm I did know HT would really bother doing a figure if they couldnt get a likeness. I mean I know about the first T-800 they did with no Arnie likeness but they had an excuse: by giving giving him a BD blasted away skin look. But this is different, I mean I actually like it but wouldnt buy it because its not Depp and he encompassed that role. Anyway if so many people _____ about it why is it going for absurd prices now?

Back