1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the v2 suit some time ago for the eventually trade-out of the oversized v1 suit. v2 looks much better fitting of course.

I'm long overdue to bash my ANH Vader after collecting the best parts from RO and v2.

Come join us over in the Vader mod thread... :wink1:
I just regained my motivation to continue on mine. I'm using the V2 as a starting point.

I didn’t realize the v2 fit better. I like the v1 material and the fit is fine except for a couple spots (namely the arms).

Yeah, the elbows in particular -- which is practically all you see of the suit, so its important.

The v1 suit is oversized. I believe Matrix stitched the arms tighter so the suit is more fitted. That's an option. I got the arms to look OK by twisting them tight. The one thing I really like about the v1 suit is the piping. Its very bulbous. I don't like the flatness of the other suits where the stitching alone makes the ridges.

I'll know better when I breakdown my v1 finally after years and try the new elements I've collected. I may end up going back to the v1 suit and tailor it like Matrix.

I apologize in advance if this is a loaded question, but is this Vader still the "best" Vader? Even after ordering the 1/4 Vader, I feel like I need one in 1/6.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Personally I would rank RO as the best out-of-the-box Vader, followed by ANH (which requires a bit more futzing to look right). As they have the more accurate looking masks. But if the longer face on the ESB doesn't bother you then that would probably be the one to get right now, since everything else about it looks good and it's got that really cool base.

Personally I would rank RO as the best out-of-the-box Vader, followed by ANH (which requires a bit more futzing to look right). As they have the more accurate looking masks. But if the longer face on the ESB doesn't bother you then that would probably be the one to get right now, since everything else about it looks good and it's got that really cool base.

All the "in hand" comments on ESB seem to say the "longer face" isn't an issue. Mine is due to arrive today so am keen to see for myself.

IMG_20180603_192336.jpg

I apologize in advance if this is a loaded question, but is this Vader still the "best" Vader? Even after ordering the 1/4 Vader, I feel like I need one in 1/6.

When it comes down to it, the “best” Vader is merely personal opinion. Everyone will tell you something different, for varying reasons.

Very nice picture. Just raise the codpiece and slide the belt boxes over closer to the buckle, and he’ll look even better. :clap

When it comes down to it, the “best” Vader is merely personal opinion. Everyone will tell you something different, for varying reasons.

Very nice picture. Just raise the codpiece and slide the belt boxes over closer to the buckle, and he’ll look even better. :clap
Thanks for the responses guys. Which Vader is this exactly? RO Vader is hard to come by now. ESB Vader's popping helmet seems problematic, but the base is nice. This is tough.

Also, what's the verdict on the V2 ANH Vader from the Tarkin Pack? Is it improved from the original ANH? I know it has more accurate gloves.

I would wait for ROTJ version if I were you, it takes time but worth the wait... my second Vader would either be that shiny ROTJ (2 scuplts) no loose helmet or ROTS Vader with operate table/medical droids and KFC Hayden scuplt...whichever comes first.

Thanks for the responses guys. Which Vader is this exactly? RO Vader is hard to come by now. ESB Vader's popping helmet seems problematic, but the base is nice. This is tough.

This thread is for the v1 ANH Vader.

Also, what's the verdict on the V2 ANH Vader from the Tarkin Pack? Is it improved from the original ANH? I know it has more accurate gloves.

Without going into intricate details, to put it at the 30,000 foot view, the v2 Vader has a better fitting suit and better gloves; v1 pretty much has better everything else.

But as mentioned, if you’re just looking for a 1/6 Vader from no particular film, I’d just wait for the inevitable RotJ Vader and see what that brings.

I would wait for ROTJ version if I were you, it takes time but worth the wait... my second Vader would either be that shiny ROTJ (2 scuplts) no loose helmet or ROTS Vader with operate table/medical droids and KFC Hayden scuplt...whichever comes first.
I'm bummed ESB wasn't a home run. The half baked gimmick really holds it back and makes the helmet look weird. ANH looks pretty good though. But I'm gonna have to agree with you and Silver. Even though I really want a Vader now, nothing is screaming buy me like the inevitable ROTJ or ROTS versions would.

This thread is for the v1 ANH Vader.

Without going into intricate details, to put it at the 30,000 foot view, the v2 Vader has a better fitting suit and better gloves; v1 pretty much has better everything else.

But as mentioned, if you’re just looking for a 1/6 Vader from no particular film, I’d just wait for the inevitable RotJ Vader and see what that brings.
Even the sculpt on the V2 isn't as good? I thought for sure it would be better or at least the same as V1.

Even the sculpt on the V2 isn't as good? I thought for sure it would be better or at least the same as V1.

I have the V2, dont have the V1 for comparison and no Vader expert but Im pretty satisfied with the quality.

My understanding is it's the same sculpt (as was R1) but the weathering is too heavy handed.

My understanding is it's the same sculpt (as was R1) but the weathering is too heavy handed.

Hmm can anyone spare some comparison shots? If not, I can go looking for it. Just wondering how heavy handed we're talking about here.

Hmm can anyone spare some comparison shots? If not, I can go looking for it. Just wondering how heavy handed we're talking about here.

From the shots I've seen it doesn't look like much, but it's hard to see in photos sometimes. I know my V1 has a great paint job that looks about right. Although I would have loved it if hot toys had of got the c-scar in there (ignoring the "is it real or not" argument).

I have the ANH V1 and R1 versions...but if i was looking for my first vader i'd try pick up the ANH tarkin one...as it's the best of both previous versions and you still get the light-up saber as well....the differences in the paint apps on the face mask are subtle at best and shouldn't deter you.

Here's a comparison line-up from Rebelscum...R1...ANH V2....ANH V1..

View attachment 425266

Back