1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard about people doing this too. How much did you sand down?

Very little, actually. I was worried I was going to overdo it. Used a dremmel with the sand tool or whatnot

I recommend getting a dremmel set. Paid $40 for mine. makes sanding down things like the top of the helmet (inside) easy

I picked up the Vader helmet from the tarkin set, and the nose plug is glued in really well. I've been able to pop mine out of v1 and Rogue one but the bugger from this version is GLUED on!!!!

On a more positive note, the dome is barely glued on so it'll pop out with minimal effort.

Nose plug will come out. Xacto is your friend for this one, but as you can see, I scuffed the edges of the nose with this attempt. On the tarkin set vader, it's glued in moreso than previous versions, it seems

DSCN0056.JPG

Last edited:
What does putting foil or whatever behind the eyes do? Does anyone have a before/after comparison?

I just did the helmet 'crack' but out of silver foil. Using a matte white for now.......before = lens looks dark

DSCN0059.JPG

Painted the upper eye lid area black using the tamiya brand.

Have not lowered dome yet,..and nose plug mod in progress. All of this was about 30 min of effort so far.

For those that are gonna open the helmet, I'd use a sharp xacto and cut along the top of the helmet going down along the seam first then use a pair of plyers to gently separate the two pieces slowly after that. The time you hear a 'crack' is the only scary part.

Here is a quick pic of a v1 with silver foil on the pic's right and the tarkin one (left) using a flat white paper. Not too much of a difference, really
DSCN0061.JPG

Update: I just discovered something interesting. i did a nose mod on a rogue one vader, but never finished it. Took it's nose plug out and put in tarkin vader. Nose plug is much shorter on that one than the new tarkin one. Weird

Last edited:
That's all GREAT info, Matt! :clap

Have you swapped it out yet? I tried it on mine and I think it does look better.

I haven't but glad to hear you think its better. That's what I'm hoping. Instinctively in hand it looks better and more tailored than the larger "hazmat suit" that v1 originally came with.

I haven't but glad to hear you think its better. That's what I'm hoping. Instinctively in hand it looks better and more tailored than the larger "hazmat suit" that v1 originally came with.

Though it does seem a little more delicate. Possibly more prone to wear or cracking over time with an action pose

Thanks, all!

Last pic until glue dries: rogue one nose plug (original length) in the tarkin vader helmet

DSCN0068.JPG

Used the jb weld plastic bonder - smidge spot easily repainted over. Little mistakes are no problem - that's a lesson that took me a long time to get.

I do love how scratched up Tarkin Vader head looks. That's all HT not me in direct light

No, Doomsayer, say it isn't so....

LOL, yeah, I don't want to hear that. Like, dude, we all want to be lied to when it comes to our dollies!

Last edited:

I'll try to post a picture of it later.

So the foil makes the red pop better? That is pretty cool but I don't know if I could crack the head. I definitely am not touching the nose piece. I don't really see the issue with it?

So is that the v2 helmet?

How are you planning to do the eyes? Silver paper or tin foil inside?

Do you have sandpaper? You could sand down the top of the head so the helmet would sit lower? Might take a long time. But then again, the widow's peak is only going down to like the next notch on the nose.

Yep it's the V2 Helmet. I struggled with the decision on what helmet to go with. But in the end I just liked the V2 helmet a bit more. I'm going to use bare-metal foil like Jazz Inc did in his video. I want to be able to stick it to the lenses and smooth it out.

After reading Ohhellno!'s post about the V2 nose plug being glued in really well, I think I will refrain from doing the nose plug adjustment.
Still debating on doing the lowering of the dome. The widow's peak should be right in line with the top notch of the mask shadowing it from view, correct?

Thanks for all the helpful tips Ohhellno!
What type of glue did you use to put the mask back together?
And how did you apply it?

Thanks for all the helpful tips Ohhellno!
What type of glue did you use to put the mask back together?
And how did you apply it?

Super glue would probably be best for the helmet.......or, it'll fit back together without glue too

So the foil makes the red pop better? That is pretty cool but I don't know if I could crack the head. I definitely am not touching the nose piece. I don't really see the issue with it?

The nose should be recessed inside the 'nose' part of the mask, and not flush as it is now. Honestly, it's such a small thing for a somewhat risky mod

Lowering the dome mod is easiest. Esp on the Tarkin Vader. Very little glue is being used

Last edited:
Be careful with the silver dot things on the chest box straps on this v2. I brushed my hand over one and it popped off. Didn’t even realize for a few minutes as I was futzing him. Talk about a pain to find and a pain to get back on. Very thankful right now I bought that single lense jeweler magnifier thing a few years ago. Made it easier to do.

I had asked earlier about that little random metal silver disc to the left of the buckle on the v2 belt if it was accurate or not to ANH, and someone said it wasn't. I'd also presume it isn't, being that even if it was there, it'd be covered up by the belt box anyway.

That being said, are those little metal discs on the straps of the the chest box accurate to ANH?

Back