1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ This is great to watch!:clap

Why did you do that to the belt? Because of the fragility issue?

greivous, here's that side-by-side of the Kaiyodo/Hurricane with modded Hasbro dome (left) and the HT (middle) - along with a repainted Hasbro for stock dome scale (right.)

vaders_zpsg9u6uu6n.png

Thanks for posting those Tali. At a glance the HT looks the best proportionally (dome to face mask ratio) but I prefer the Kaiyodo face mask on its own. Hate the nose plug, plus the eyes till seem a little bit too round/surprised.

greivous, here's that side-by-side of the Kaiyodo/Hurricane with modded Hasbro dome (left) and the HT (middle) - along with a repainted Hasbro for stock dome scale (right.)

vaders_zpsg9u6uu6n.png

the Hasbro doom you can forget about it looks silly. the hot toys helmet Is by far the best as of right now

the Hasbro doom you can forget about it looks silly. the hot toys helmet Is by far the best as of right now

The Hasbro one's too thick but it's still pretty good shape-wise. And the HT skirt isn't flat like the Hasbro - HT has the correct curving at bottom of skirt. And the HT is the only one with the little ANH peak.

The problem with the HT overall helmet is it's a little too big. TooMuchGarlic has said the Kaiyodo mask is correct dimensions to the screen-used helmet. There's not a huge difference in the mouthes of the HT Vs Kaiyodo (tusk to tusk dimension, height of triangle) - but you can see the neck (height and width,) eyes and "cheeks" are bigger on the HT. HT's face sits higher up off the table. Not sure which is right, though people say the HT has a "surprised look" so maybe the HT eyes are a little too big.

Thanks for posting those Tali. At a glance the HT looks the best proportionally (dome to face mask ratio) but I prefer the Kaiyodo face mask on its own. Hate the nose plug, plus the eyes till seem a little bit too round/surprised.

You think that dome is too big or too small for the Kaiyodo facemask?

that`s why I never thought the hot toys face mask looked right. as for right now until hurricane can make the hot toys helmet a little smaller im sticking with the hot toys helmet on the hurricane Kaiyodo face mask.

The Kaiyodo mask is not the ANH version, it's either ESB or RotJ. You can tell by the larger triangle under the "chin," it's small in ANH.

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

yeah the one I've shown in the pic is the Hurricane (Kaiyodo based, though with several mods such as resculpt of cheeks) ESB version. Mr and Mrs H do different versions based on the different movie helmets.

yeah the one I've shown in the pic is the Hurricane (Kaiyodo based, though with several mods such as resculpt of cheeks) ESB version. Mr and Mrs H do different versions based on the different movie helmets.

Nice!

So educate me on Hurricane? I've heard a lot about it lately, but I can't find much on the web about them.

You think that dome is too big or too small for the Kaiyodo facemask?

Just have the impression that the top part of the dome is the slightest bit oversized or tall. On my phone it looks pretty good overall, but I think that's what I was seeing on the computer.

The HT figure still strikes me as being designed as a figure as tall as the SS ones. They shortened the body, but the cape seems a bit too long when it's draping directly against a shelf--looks much better on the HT stand as it has some extra room to hang naturally. Then on top of it they made the dome bigger due to complaints--which is a good thing but again the scale of the thing feels a bit all over the place--legs too short, chest armor a bit too long.

sorry to post photos of a kitbash Vader, but I received my HT Vader helmet yesterday, and since you are talking about different mixes...

this is SSC Deluxe Vader with SSC old version padded undersuit, boots and HT ANH helmet.

image.jpg

Nice!

So educate me on Hurricane? I've heard a lot about it lately, but I can't find much on the web about them.

He's on here just under "Hurricane." Also "mrshurricane" He's been making 1/6 Vaders a LONG time (ten years?)

They are all Kaiyodo-based facemasks but he's done a lot of mods to the facemask to make it more accurate, and does variations for all the movies. He's also got the photo-etched mesh behind the grills etc.

I think what I need to do is get someone like jkno to post some pics of his Vader and stormie full size helmets (MR) side-by-side and get an idea of relative scale to then compare to the HT Vader and stormie helmets.

I think TonTon's right that HT again made Vader too tall, but in so doing did the same thing SSC did - made all the parts a bit too big, including of course the helmet.

I was looking at a pic of Vader facing Fett the other day and was struck by how small Vader's facemask was compared to Fett's helmet. What's weird is that the HT helmet "feels" like the right size to me (because Vader is BIG so you think his helmet is BIG) and the Hurricane ones "feel" a bit too small... yet I know the Kaiyodo is supposedly right.:gah:

What is great about the HT Vader helmet is it's not hugely impressive unmodded so it inspires you to mod it without reservation. It's stuff that blows you away but needs to be modded that scares me.:lol

Back