1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, there are some comparison pictures somewhere that showed the Dx head being a lot smaller than the new Vader helmet.

Yeah it's teeny from what I remember too.

Wow!!! I tried the old SS suit on mine and it didn't look like that. Did you use a different body or pad it? The belt and chest box didn't fit when I tried it.

I second this. That suit looks fantastic. Please share what's going on with your Vader suit/body, McHaley.

Switched up my pose for Vader yesterday. Ended up moving the boxes back to accommodate the hands.

b2c16979ef552391d1c55543a0359463.jpg

Yeah it's teeny from what I remember too.

I second this. That suit looks fantastic. Please share what's going on with your Vader suit/body, McHaley.

Switched up my pose for Vader yesterday. Ended up moving the boxes back to accommodate the hands.

b2c16979ef552391d1c55543a0359463.jpg

This.

Possibly one of the best photos I've seen of him. The lighting and shadows, especially on his helmet, are immaculate. Very well done! :clap :duff

This.

Possibly one of the best photos I've seen of him. The lighting and shadows, especially on his helmet, are immaculate. Very well done! :clap :duff

those damned gloves tho...

Nice shot Ton Ton. My issue with the gloves is less the two-part thing than the fact that the gloss on the hands themselves kills the connection with the gaunlet parts. I need to find the time to paint them and wheather/dull them.

Nice shot Ton Ton.
Thanks guys. :duff

Probably a lucky shot but I was happy with the pose so tried to snap a quick phone pic in the detolf before my cat could sneak into the bottom shelf and attack Kylo Ren.

those damned gloves tho...

Yup. :lol

My issue with the gloves is less the two-part thing than the fact that the gloss on the hands themselves kills the connection with the gaunlet parts. I need to find the time to paint them and wheather/dull them.

I agree, the gloss makes no sense and we've seen good results from people who painted them with a matte finish. Full on gloves would have been best though, that's for sure. I'm usually hiding the hands though so they haven't bothered me too much yet.

Wow!!! I tried the old SS suit on mine and it didn't look like that. Did you use a different body or pad it? The belt and chest box didn't fit when I tried it.

He gives the details in his custom thread. The belt, chest box, and cod piece fit well if you leave the padded vest from HT's suit under the old SS suit. The SS suit does fit a lot better, though you do need to do something with the sleeves being too long. I folded mine up and the extra material is hidden under the gloves.

I was considering spraying a matte finish onto my Vader's hands whenever he ships, but I'm honestly afraid to start modding this figure... I started following this thread last year, when Vader began to ship from Hong Kong, and I've noted 32 different posts involving futz tips and mods that interest me...
What if I start, and I can't stop?!

Sent from the bat cave

image.jpeg

pulled mine out, trimmed the back end tiny bit by tiny bit until it was set in enough. left the original surface sculpt. I'm SO much happier with the look of the shnoz!!

I was considering spraying a matte finish onto my Vader's hands whenever he ships, but I'm honestly afraid to start modding this figure... I started following this thread last year, when Vader began to ship from Hong Kong, and I've noted 32 different posts involving futz tips and mods that interest me...
What if I start, and I can't stop?!

Sent from the bat cave

Go nuts, man.

680.gif

I'm not a huge fan of ANH Vader and ESB Vader is my favorite. So I decided to repaint my HT helmet... I'm still a beginner when it comes to painting. Still need to put on another coat of gloss black tomorrow. Lmk what you guys think!

The only thing that bothers me is the vent but other than that I think it looks way better than SS.

Was going for this look.

ESB_Vader.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 252
that's just gorgeous, Keyen. I was hoping to do something like what you did myself.

Which are the main spots ou changed? I can see the obvious tusk repainted... maybe resculpted too? and the gloss on the dome... how did you do it?

Thanks a lot!!

Suggestions, instead of cracking my vader helmet open, to do the lens mod, can I not use a white reflection material and just fill the head up?

DSCN0567.JPG

What has me nervous is the circled areas - and especially the neck seam.....that is with just a little cutting.

DSCN0580.JPG

Last edited:
that's just gorgeous, Keyen. I was hoping to do something like what you did myself.

Which are the main spots ou changed? I can see the obvious tusk repainted... maybe resculpted too? and the gloss on the dome... how did you do it?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks! I mainly changed the cheek areas and covered the sculpted imperfections and then I painted it a glossy gunmetalish color where the asymmetrical parts are, as well as repainting the neck area. For the tusks, I would have kept them on but unfortunately the helmet got damaged in shipping, so I just cut off the other one and painted them silver. The dome was the tricky part, I would have liked to use a clear gloss on the original helmet, but I don't have one, so I just painted it glossy black. It was a pain to get it to not have brush strokes.

Back