1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should have just put everything in the stand and saved a lot of trouble. As it is now, I'm not even going to bother checking to see if the electronics even work.

If I can find a loose body cheap later on that might be something I try.

Vader is out for delivery today. He got stuck at the Chicago hub for a couple days but he's in Minneapolis now. Can't wait to get home from work.

So you have to strip off his head, armor, cape, chest box, tunic, unzip the suit just to reactivate him to talk again? You can't feel for the switch through the costume?

That sounds ****ed. :lol Hell, I'm a major futzer so by the time I had him all put together and looking proper it would probably exceed 15 minutes. Sounds like a bad design. I'm not big on electronics (used the feature on my Robocop once to check him), but that's pretty dumb. I'd definitely want to try out this Vader and utilize the remote on a shelf if I had it, atleast once. Sounds frustrating.

Would have been better off nixing the electronics and offering it for $219 or something.

Yup. It was a crazy move. I did the same as you described. Spent ages futzing him then he wouldn't talk. *puts control back into box & walks away*
I did hear him breath once though. :lol

Then that's the plan -- super glue a larger "knob" on the switch trigger so you can feel it under the suit.

I have such a hard time finding the switch on Obi-Wan as it is, and that's just one layer (sleeve).

Haven't even put batteries into Obi-Wan yet. :lol

I'd rather not even put the batteries in anything besides the lightsaber arm. If I want to hear Darth Vader breathe, I'll just use the soundboard on the Star Wars app. It accomplishes the same thing.

I hate voice stuff on Action Figures as much as I hated the electronic crap on Transformers, but I do agree that if you include such a function it cannot be so ridicolously hard to activate.

This. I have never been a fan of sound effects on my figures, even way back when I was a kid. Theres something about it that makes it seem...I dunno "cheaper" to me I guess. The light up features are fine but honestly who is really using the sound features on a regular basis, I'd rather they not be there and we get the figure for cheaper. I'm very much looking forward to this figure but I doubt I will even try the sound effects out at all to be quite honest.

This figure would be perfect to do the wire mods and replace the batteries since all the wires could be concealed under the clothing. I'm still waiting to see Rick's full review on the figure before finally ordering it. I hope he does it soon.

Are there other examples of figures that have been adapted in this way? I have Vader on pre-order and really looking forward to having him in hand.

If the voice/SFX is loud enough and/or the sound quality is good enough I will try to rig up a permanent switch (through the clothing/material) as I'll be keeping my Vader and not selling him on. (No eBay scalping for me,erm, lol.)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This figure would be perfect to do the wire mods and replace the batteries since all the wires could be concealed under the clothing. I'm still waiting to see Rick's full review on the figure before finally ordering it. I hope he does it soon.
Any idea were I could find out more about these mods? Definitely something I'd like to try.

No code is disappointing... although I think I talked myself out of getting this. I can't justify dropping that much money to pay for electronics I have no intention of using. Also, the gloves issue isn't horrible -- but still an issue. Basically, I'd be dropping $300 for a helmet upgrade.

The HT outfit and helmet are definitely better than the SS, but I think I'll just do the Hasbro helmet mod on my SS. I already have the Talking Darth Vader from years ago so it's just a question of cannibalizing that figure. I'll probably wait for the HT version of ROTJ... assuming they nail Sebastian Shaw's likeness in the unmasked head.

Can't wait for the eyebrows discussion on that one!

I assume the SSC gloves (even the hand part) would be too large.

Probably, but I'd still like to see someone give it a go. The SS ANH gloves are actually pretty nice sculpts. And if they're too long like some people say, it doesn't look like it's by much.

I had planned to do the same. I guess waiting until next month is the option.

Same here. And the code after that on Fett.

Or buying from another retailer. Just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of Thanksgiving to not hand out a code. Tsk tsk.

I really hope there's a Sideshow promotion for either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Back