1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is exactly it. Sideshow might have some good sculpts, but they let it down with their paint apps. With the Hoth figures it was also the separate eye construction that they were doing, which didn't help the figure at all.

Other companies like Asmus, Star Ace and ThreeZero have also produced more toy like paint apps, but recently they have seemed to improve. The next test for SSC will be their Indy, which looks great in prototype stage. I know they had a brilliant painter do that prototype, so it's going to be a battle for it to be reproduced at that quality. Sideshow need to do it though, if they're going to be charging over $200 for their figures going forward.

I think the HT Han sculpt ended up an improvement over the prototype. I would certainly be happy with it in my collection. I do think that Luke and Leia look the best out of the humans so far and hope they're able to reproduce that quality in production.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The deal isn't that customizing is laughable, it's just that at this price point we shouldn't have to do massive plastic surgery to the figure to get something decent. I want something really good straight out of the box and if you're willing to go the extra mile more power to you.

People forget sometimes these figures are the Ferrari of toys, if I bought a Ferrari I wouldn't be happy with having to repaint it upon purchase because the original paint job was mediocre.

The Ferrari analogy is not a good one. If every Ferrari is red, and you need to own a Ferrari (best), you get a red one. If you must have a yellow Ferrari (better to you paint), you get it repainted on your dime. If the original red paint is "mediocre" in your opinion, you can choose not to buy. You aren't owed a yellow Ferrari because that's what you want. And it doesn't make it less of a Ferrari because it's only red

This is a Han Solo figure, not a Harrison Ford figure. And you know what, it looks exactly like Han Solo. Just like I can tell every 12 inch and 3 3/4 Kenner/Hasbro figure I've ever owned is Han Solo, despite none of them looking like Harrison Ford. Heck my Kenner figure has inaccurate black pants and I still know who it is. Go pick out Ford in your 1977 Marvel comic. Bet you can't. I'll bet you can find Han Solo though.

At the end of the day this figure is a piece of artwork, which is subjective. But for those collecting SW 1/6, if the only thing holding you back from having one of the top 3 or 4 characters in the movie is the difference between this sculpt painted as it is and an exact mini-me head of Harrison Ford...I feel bad for you guys. No one is saying the pants, vest, shirt, belts, guns, etc are low quality or off or anything, just the head doesn't look exactly like the actor. That's about as silly as not getting that red Ferrari. If it's not worth your money though, which it fine, don't use your justifications for not spending it to downplay something a majority of folks are quite pleased with. And no, this isn't (all :) ) aimed at you weaponslayer, just in general to the drama queens that have to repeatedly state what a fail this is because of 90% Ford, not 100% Ford.

How many Hot Toys sculpts have been 100% anyone? I've seen several that are very, very close, but nothing completely spot on. Unless they do 3d scans of the head, it won't be perfect, and with this being from a movie shot in 1976, it's unlikely to happen.

It should also look like the character. HT Ben started out terrible and is still "just okay" (and yes, is BLOWN AWAY by the SSC sculpt in terms of likeness.) HT Han started iffy and got slightly better with V2 (though many disagree, saying it went backwards.)

The question is - is it better to find a great sculpt (for example the new Ingiou custom Indy sculpt) and paint it, or "invest" in a just-okay HT likeness and then have to rebuy the inevitable "slightly better" V2 for another $230-250?

Let's be honest, it's not the disaster many predicted (and looks pretty good in most in-hand pics) but no one is calling this HT Han sculpt a home run.

It's a "minor" nitpick I know, but this HT Han still only has a so-so likeness to HF. We all want a figure to look great straight out of the box, but this Han looks decent to good - not great. Most agree - look back over the thread.

Not a whole lot to choose from Indy-wise (other than the new custom sculpt.) The SSC repaint above looks better than the HT "guyliner" Indy which was pretty universally considered a debacle. Jeez, you talk about people investing time and more money trying to improve a sculpt.:slap:lol

Hilarious! I bet your name is trevor grove..:wink1:

Yeah this is one case where the figure as a whole looks so good, and captures the spirit of the character so well, that I find it a lot easier to overlook the fact the likeness is not quite 100%.

Kinda like the HT Robocop I guess. Yeah the paint on that is way too bright and silver... but that doesn't change the fact it's still a really damn cool looking Robocop figure, and under the right lighting looks amazing on my shelf. Which is ultimately all I really care about here.

I like the Hoth figure a lot, but was never very impressed by the hair sculpt--even in the prototype stage, and I think the final product comparison from James the Cat shows there's really not much to compare. Just seems like lots of "eye of the beholder" type of arguments here. It'd be nice if they all came out as well as ANH Leia (seems the most universally praised), but how often does that really happen with any head sculpt?

It's a "minor" nitpick I know, but this HT Han still only has a so-so likeness to HF. We all want a figure to look great straight out of the box, but this Han looks decent to good - not great. Most agree - look back over the thread.

From what I've read seems like nearly everyone -- who actually has the HT Solo in hand -- is blown away by how great it looks with a surprising likeness to Ford. Have I missed a lot of posts that say otherwise?

How many of us have looked at a photo of ourselves and been disappointed with how the photo turned out? The reason is that it's a static snap-shot of that moment in time. Your representation in that photo is based on lighting, whether you had a late night the night before, mood, whatever. There are good photos and bad photos. How we view a portrait of someone changes when we see a video of someone. Rather than a snapshot, we see how the features on their face work, how they smile and act in certain situations and these elements reinforce in our minds how we view or remember - and know - that person.

When we view the movies which are not just one frame, some remember Harrison Ford's smirk. The way he acts in certain situations. And it's a tough job for a sculptor to select one moment in time to represent a character. A smirk would be great! But when there is only one headsculpt being produced, would it be appropriate to pose a Han Solo figure with a smirk battling stormtroopers? I don't know, probably not, but maybe you get the point I'm trying to make.

All I know is, and this is my own opinion, when I see the HT sculpt, sure it's a static pose, but I can see Harrison Ford as Han Solo at that age in A New Hope.
And I love it. But out of the box, sculpt, paint, eye problems whatever, all I see with the SSC version is some guy who is an Eskimo. I think it's unfortunate with the paint and the eyes. But I'm happy for people who are pleased with it and I'm really interested to see what people can do with it. Likewise, I'm interested to see how the SSC Indy comes out. The initial sculpt looks stunning. I see Harrison and I have it on PO, and I hope SSC knocks it out of the park. I never saw the initial sculpt for Hoth Han, before all the in-production images. I'd be interested in seeing it.

It should also look like the character. HT Ben started out terrible and is still "just okay" (and yes, is BLOWN AWAY by the SSC sculpt in terms of likeness.) HT Han started iffy and got slightly better with V2 (though many disagree, saying it went backwards.)

The question is - is it better to find a great sculpt (for example the new Ingiou custom Indy sculpt) and paint it, or "invest" in a just-okay HT likeness and then have to rebuy the inevitable "slightly better" V2 for another $230-250?

Let's be honest, it's not the disaster many predicted (and looks pretty good in most in-hand pics) but no one is calling this HT Han sculpt a home run.

Not a whole lot to choose from Indy-wise (other than the new custom sculpt.) The SSC repaint above looks better than the HT "guyliner" Indy which was pretty universally considered a debacle. Jeez, you talk about people investing time and more money trying to improve a sculpt.:slap:lol

SSC hoth han looks asian if you turn it far enough its paint and skin tone is terrible

HT Han is the best HF likeness to date

i know you bought the Hoth han and you are putting a laughable effort to defent it truth is that figs unhooded sculpt sucks
if you honestly believe SSC han looks better then HT Han you really need to quit acid

SSC han is only good with the mask and hood on without it its just another of sideshows bad human sculpts

Just like I can tell every 12 inch and 3 3/4 Kenner/Hasbro figure I've ever owned is Han Solo, despite none of them looking like Harrison Ford.

Easier to forgive a $5-$20 figure than a $250 one, especially when we've seen what HT are capable of. That said, I'm happy with this Han (but haven't decided if I prefer the prototype sculpt).

I have been following the thread, for a long time, actually. From the posts I've seen, most would agree that Hot Toys Han looks great in hand. That's what matters to me, and that's what makes these figures worth their price tag.

Easier to forgive a $5-$20 figure than a $250 one, especially when we've seen what HT are capable of. That said, I'm happy with this Han (but haven't decided if I prefer the prototype sculpt).

It would be hard to know for sure if any of us truly would have preferred the prototype sculpt without seeing them both in hand, and the prototype sculpt is something that 99.9% of us won't ever have access to. I've seen enough of the production sculpt to be really encouraged it's going to be great in hand. I hear a lot of talk from some about how while it looks like Han Solo they don't think it doesn't look like Ford but frankly from what I've seen he looks like Ford as Solo in many picture's I have seen; especially with how he looked in ANH. I think it may be the best Harrison Ford sculpt ever put out, but I'll wait until I have it in hand to say for sure.

Of course all this is subjective and we all have different opinions. Harrison has a weird face that's hard to capture and frankly, I am not sure why, but he looks a little different in a ANH than he does in ESB, and again in ROTJ (and of course he looks a bit different as Indiana Jones but ha hair cut and 5 o'clock shadow can be the reason for a lot of this). This difference could be due to some aging, subtle change of weight or even just because of the slightly different haircut. It's not like he was in a car accident like Mark Hamill where there is an obvious reason for a slightly different appearance but it does seem to be there. Anyway, I guess I say this to point out that what everyone considers to "look like Harrison Ford" may also be influenced by how we picture him based on a variety of subtly different looks and stages of his life on film. So, I think there are a lot of good reasons we all might have a different opinion about this sculpt, but for what it's worth you can add me to the list of folks that think they did a great job with this one.

I think I've finally grown to like the production sculpt more than the prototype, even if the blank expression doesn't really work as well for me.

:goodpost: I too was a fan of the proto more until I saw this in hand and some of the excellent pics that have been posted sold me. Do either hit it 100% prob. not, but we/everyone that sees it knows who it is. And it is miles better than Indy or SSC either way. Hope they both ship soon :)

I totally forgot that I had pre ordered the Exclusive version. This is going to be my first Star Wars Hot Toys figure. I've got a sizable collection of Sideshow figures, but they are mostly clones and Jedi. I'm sure once the door is opened I'll need the Chewie as well.

It never fails to amaze me how utterly subjective human recognition of likeness is. Many of you are so passionate about the "obvious" superiority of the HT sculpt over other examples. To me, if we're talking bare bones sculpting (not the subtleties that come in at the paint app stage), the Hoth SS Han by Trevor blows the HT sculpt away. It is Ford from every angle.

Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased with the HT v2 alterations, it captures Ford well if you work with it with some deliberance, and the general HT brilliance when it comes down to depth of sculpt and sharpness of detail likely make the HT ANH Han the one to own, but I'm scratching my head when reading comments like the SS sculpt is tragic, or should be banned from this thread. I think all you're seeing is the paint. I agree that the eye treatment on Hoth is particularly sub-par, but all that sculpt needs is a little love. I daresay if you handed the SS Hoth sculpt to JC Hong to paint and finish, THAT would be the figure we'd all be talking about and saving up for.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back