1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just found my other sideshow head non hooded
For a compare with a HT solo
hans.jpg
Is the Sideshow head really that much smaller or is it just further back?

That unhooded Han sculpt is better than the hooded one but it still looks super hasbro or even Mattel. And what is up with the brownish skin tone and semi gloss paint? If I had the Hoth Han I'd try to get a HT head and do a swap. But then again, the separate glove cuffs and overall tayloring need improvement also. It's a true shame because Hoth is one of my favorite scenes and I would love to place him with the tauntaun.

Eh, if it wasn't for the cut out eyes I'd still say the Sideshow is the stronger likeness (especially when looking at Trevor Grove's original sculpt below). But yeah there's no denying that the detail and paint apps on the final head just don't come close to the HT.

Although at least Trevor knows how to sculpt the freakin lips correctly, which HT just can't seem to get right no matter how often they try. Lol

Sixth-Scale-Figure-Captain-Han-Solo-Echo-Base-Hoth-Star-Wars-Sideshow-03.jpg

I quite like both hoth han but I've kept my hooded one viewable as there is less sculpt to view (not as bad next to hot toys). Also someone pointed out the dark skin, for some reason all the new sculpts including hoth luke and rex are very 'tanned' (I couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't seem racist).

Eh, if it wasn't for the cut out eyes I'd still say the Sideshow is the stronger likeness (especially when looking at Trevor Grove's original sculpt below). But yeah there's no denying that the detail and paint apps on the final head just don't come close to the HT.

Although at least Trevor knows how to sculpt the freakin lips correctly, which HT just can't seem to get right no matter how often they try. Lol

View attachment 205524

I quite like both hoth han but I've kept my hooded one viewable as there is less sculpt to view (not as bad next to hot toys). Also someone pointed out the dark skin, for some reason all the new sculpts including hoth luke and rex are very 'tanned' (I couldn't think of anything else that wouldn't seem racist).

Yeah, HT's stunningly realistic paint apps and skin detail easily triumphs over any SSC human release, but HT Han is no home run in the likeness department.

Even with the cut out eyes, Tan Solo paint and less detailed ("no pores") sculpt, the SSC unhatted Han is a better HF likeness than even this V2 HT Han.

With the Silentsurfer treatment and a subtle fix on the eyes, the unhatted SSC Hoth Han would shine as the best production release likeness of HF to date.

Unfortunately it's so rare that you get a terrific likeness and HT quality detail and apps on the same head, but when it's a "one or the other" choice, its does seem people go with the realistic presentation over the superior likeness.

I see more Ford in the SS one that I do the HT.

But I see more human in the HT one. I agree that in the prototype the ESB Han Solo was nailed, too bad it didn't carry on to the production piece.

The only thing that really bugs me is that sideshow is now charging HT prices or even more (look at their $240 barebones luke) for inferior quality. How can they expect people to trust their preorders when quality takes such a drop like the Hoth figures. Lately their paint apps have gotten worse in my opinion, flat and sloppy.

Yeah, HT's stunningly realistic paint apps and skin detail easily triumphs over any SSC human release, but HT Han is no home run in the likeness department.

Even with the cut out eyes, Tan Solo paint and less detailed ("no pores") sculpt, the SSC unhatted Han is a better HF likeness than even this V2 HT Han.

With the Silentsurfer treatment and a subtle fix on the eyes, the unhatted SSC Hoth Han would shine as the best production release likeness of HF to date.

Unfortunately it's so rare that you get a terrific likeness and HT quality detail and apps on the same head, but when it's a "one or the other" choice, its does seem people go with the realistic presentation over the superior likeness.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :mwaha Aww sorry im crying from laughter

Sideshow just aren't in the same league, that's all there is too it. No point in saying that with a whole new custom paint job, then their sculpts are better. That's just laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :mwaha Aww sorry im crying from laughter

Obi Wan, you need to update your Avatar pic so it matches HT's sculpt of you.

douglas_harding_280.jpg

And you must get whiplash from your opinions...

I feel like the Sideshow Han from ESB looks a lot better then HT Han also I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but hans normal hands look huge I mean like he just ate shrimp and if he was allergic.

Whatever you may say about about this fig I'm excited to get it. Also this sculpt it 100000 times better then the sideshow Hoth Han.

Yup... 100000 times.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl :mwaha

Sideshow just aren't in the same league, that's all there is too it. No point in saying that with a whole new custom paint job, then their sculpts are better. That's just laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is that laughable? It's one of the most common things people do in the customs section. Take a great sculpt that has bad paint... and repaint it. Not sure what you mean.

IMG_4898.jpg~original

Indy_SS_4.jpg~original

For those of us that don't have the tools, time, or skill to repaint head sculpts, we want the figure to look great straight out of the box. HT's Han - although it does have a few issues one could nitpick - looks miles better than the SSC Han, in my opinion.

For those of us that don't have the tools, time, or skill to repaint head sculpts, we want the figure to look great straight out of the box. HT's Han - although it does have a few issues one could nitpick - looks miles better than the SSC Han, in my opinion.

this :|

also that indy ford still looks bad, good paint but face proportions are weird, that kenobi looks boss though

I guess he means it should look great out of the box, and you shouldn't have to invest more money in a custom paint job to do justice to the sculpt.

It should also look like the character. HT Ben started out terrible and is still "just okay" (and yes, is BLOWN AWAY by the SSC sculpt in terms of likeness.) HT Han started iffy and got slightly better with V2 (though many disagree, saying it went backwards.)

The question is - is it better to find a great sculpt (for example the new Ingiou custom Indy sculpt) and paint it, or "invest" in a just-okay HT likeness and then have to rebuy the inevitable "slightly better" V2 for another $230-250?

Let's be honest, it's not the disaster many predicted (and looks pretty good in most in-hand pics) but no one is calling this HT Han sculpt a home run.

It's a "minor" nitpick I know, but this HT Han still only has a so-so likeness to HF. We all want a figure to look great straight out of the box, but this Han looks decent to good - not great. Most agree - look back over the thread.

this :|

also that indy ford still looks bad, good paint but face proportions are weird, that kenobi looks boss though

Not a whole lot to choose from Indy-wise (other than the new custom sculpt.) The SSC repaint above looks better than the HT "guyliner" Indy which was pretty universally considered a debacle. Jeez, you talk about people investing time and more money trying to improve a sculpt.:slap:lol

It should also look like the character. HT Ben started out terrible and is still "just okay" (and yes, is BLOWN AWAY by the SSC sculpt in terms of likeness.) HT Han started iffy and got slightly better with V2 (though many disagree, saying it went backwards.)

The question is - is it better to find a great sculpt (for example the new Ingiou custom Indy sculpt) and paint it, or "invest" in a just-okay HT likeness and then have to rebuy the inevitable "slightly better" V2 for another $230-250?

Let's be honest, it's not the disaster many predicted (and looks pretty good in most in-hand pics) but no one is calling this HT Han sculpt a home run.

It's a "minor" nitpick I know, but this HT Han still only has a so-so likeness to HF. We all want a figure to look great straight out of the box, but this Han looks decent to good - not great. Most agree - look back over the thread.

Not a whole lot to choose from Indy-wise (other than the new custom sculpt.) The SSC repaint above looks better than the HT "guyliner" Indy which was pretty universally considered a debacle. Jeez, you talk about people investing time and more money trying to improve a sculpt.:slap:lol

:exactly: :goodpost:

A SS hoth sculpt with HT paint apps is what we need. :lol

The deal isn't that customizing is laughable, it's just that at this price point we shouldn't have to do massive plastic surgery to the figure to get something decent. I want something really good straight out of the box and if you're willing to go the extra mile more power to you.

People forget sometimes these figures are the Ferrari of toys, if I bought a Ferrari I wouldn't be happy with having to repaint it upon purchase because the original paint job was mediocre.

The deal isn't that customizing is laughable, it's just that at this price point we shouldn't have to do massive plastic surgery to the figure to get something decent. I want something really good straight out of the box and if you're willing to go the extra mile more power to you.

People forget sometimes these figures are the Ferrari of toys, if I bought a Ferrari I wouldn't be happy with having to repaint it upon purchase because the original paint job was mediocre.

This! :goodpost:

Back