1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the color, it could just be the lighting in the original photo...who knows? Did some quick photoshop. Didn't change the sculpt but just added more 'painted' definition around the eyes, mouth and slight re-color. I like the 'attitude' of the proto-sculpt....this one has potential as well. Too bad we haven't seen a mass HF sculpt that everyone can go Ga Ga over.

Yeah, I think that's it. It looks better to me, I'm buying it, but it is pretty amazing that after something like a dozen tries, no company (or custom sculptor for that matter) has produced a 1/6 HF sculpt that most people (yeah-yeah, haters for everything) can definitively say "that's him!" about. This is the third try HT has made at Ford's likeness and even they can't quite nail it. Maybe HF is truly impossible to capture in 1/6.

it is pretty amazing that after something like a dozen tries, no company (or custom sculptor for that matter) has produced a 1/6 HF sculpt that most people can definitively say "that's him!" about.

What?

Sideshow has done it multiple times, including with their new TOD Indy, though some sculpts will benefit tremendously from repaints.

Then there's this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ulpt.html?highlight=indiana+jones+sculpt+$250

And this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...o-drake-bond-etc-post7755844.html#post7755844

and this:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...sor-archaeology-painted-unpainted-sculpt.html

The sculptors producing customs here on the forum (including ones that may not do so regularly anymore) and posting to Facebook are, IMO far better than anyone on Hot Toys payroll past or present.

They'll do what they do, regardless of nerd rage.

What ever do you mean? Nerd rage is one of the most potent and meaningful forces in nature.

This sculpt isn't any better or worse than the first imo.

Pretty much. The first sculpt wasn't stopping me. This one won't either (could always paint a bit more scowl in those eyebrows).

Does look more like Ford; less like Han Solo.

Agreed on Beastmaster, but was I mistaken or was that just a render? I thought the last one was the weakest and was not getting a great Ford or Indy vibe from it. Mind you, the lighting in those pics seemed really harsh and unflattering.

*looks again* Yeah, really hate that Fortune and Glory one. :lol

Anyway, I'm happy enough with HT's.

Until everyone gets it in hand, then it's going to be "perfect" and "the best sculpt Hot Toys have ever done" - mark my words. ;) At least it's already far better than their DX05 attempt and Bespin Luke's Hamill likeness.

I replaced my DX05 Bespin Luke head with the new Hoth Luke sculpt using the Hot Toys hairpiece. Finally have a good Hamill Luke.

Oh, it looks like you just stopped by my street, so let me show you around.:lol

Sideshow has done it multiple times

I do like the old SSC heads, don't love them - all are oversized, "old style" in terms of low sculpt detail (see SSC Ben,) and yes, require $200 repaints and the best SSC likeness (ROTLA) has a chubby cheeks issue that requires sanding (someone did it and nailed it.)

including with their new TOD Indy

That's such a stunningly massive question mark at this point it doesn't even warrant discussion.

On to custom sculpts. As you may not be too familiar with the WGP debacle, let me summarize... don't judge what you're actually getting by a computer render or even an unpainted sculpt. And yes, I'm giving you a creepy WGP Indy grin right now.;)

Nearly $100 for unpainted, so looking at $300+ finished to a Silentsurfer level (what it really needs.) It's the best possibility at this point but reminds me a lot of regular WGP, and... haven't seen it PAINTED.

Hmm... nice render (see note re: WGP above.) Indiana Jones and the Crystal Head is not helping.

This one I would consider a fail. The paint-up is odd for sure, but there's something off about the likeness.

Oh, it looks like you just stopped by my street, so let me show you around.:lol

Tsk tsk tsk. You're trying to move the goal posts. Shame shame! You said (and I quote):

it is pretty amazing that after something like a dozen tries, no company (or custom sculptor for that matter) has produced a 1/6 HF sculpt that most people can definitively say "that's him!" about.

To which I provided a number of examples where only someone with their eyes closed, living on another planet would not instantly recognize Harrison Ford. And that's it - price, slightly chubby cheeks, or even factory production don't make a difference because they don't change the fact that "most people" will still clearly recognize the sculpts, as they are, as Harrison Ford.

Also, I don't need to see a sculpt painted to know whether it's a good likeness. :lecture It's also unfair to bring up one specific botched custom sculpt by someone not involved at all with these examples. Apart from the "Fortune and Glory" (and only because I don't know and won't look right now) the others have produced physical prints, reworked those prints and made final casts o,f at the very least, other of their works. I could write a couple of paragraphs in praise of these sculptors (and a few others), but that's not necessary here. Harrison Ford has been nailed multiple times to a degree sufficient for "most people" to "definitively say 'that's him!'"

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger, you set the criteria. ;) Lastly, "most people" will also recognize this updated Hot Toys sculpt as Harrison Ford, even if it's clearly not the best likeness we've ever seen. :lecture

It's also unfair to bring up one specific botched custom sculpt by someone not involved at all with these examples.

WGP was only "botched" in hindsight. An important distinction. You must have missed the ooo's and ahh's and "stunning!" period.:lol

Also, I don't need to see a sculpt painted to know whether it's a good likeness. :lecture

Careful with that one. :rotfl I would recommend closer study of that WGP thread - honestly.

As far as the color, it could just be the lighting in the original photo...who knows? Did some quick photoshop. Didn't change the sculpt but just added more 'painted' definition around the eyes, mouth and slight re-color. I like the 'attitude' of the proto-sculpt....this one has potential as well. Too bad we haven't seen a mass HF sculpt that everyone can go Ga Ga over.

View attachment 191295

make it a 1/2 shade darker and it's on

Irresistible.jpg

I know the sculpt. I don't lightly give my stamp of approval. ;)

I don't lightly give my dollars, especially when we're talking a commitment of many hundreds of them for something that always seems to appear brilliant in the computer renders and unpainted 3D prints, then in-hand is stretched, too small and just... surprisingly off. That was the WGP experience on the inbound side - the side without the 20/20 glasses and where everyone thought they knew the sculpt. Hurry, slots filling up!:lol

...And if HALF of your potential customers hate it as opposed to 25% for e.g. than it's an epic fail/disappointment.
Half of this sub-forum (and that's a tiny sample size) and half of HT's customers for this figure are two different things, though. And the first sculpt didn't fare any better, anyway, so they're in a kind of damned if you do/don't situation.

I don't lightly give my dollars, especially when we're talking a commitment of many hundreds of them for something that always seems to appear brilliant in the computer renders and unpainted 3D prints, then in-hand is stretched, too small and just... surprisingly off. That was the WGP experience on the inbound side - the side without the 20/20 glasses and where everyone thought they knew the sculpt. Hurry, slots filling up!:lol
We've all seen what paint did to Trevor's Han Solo sculpts. I find that's the case in general, even with good paint. I don't even take renders seriously. Can only think of maybe one or two in the customs forums where an awesome render translated to an equally good painted headsculpt.

Last edited:
This is one that is just going to have to wait until it is in hand for final judgement. Also, these new pictures have not been taken under the best lighting conditions. Also, doing macrophotography is an art. They need to snap those pictures with about a 70mm macro lense, not a cell phone camera or point and click camera. HT's is not known for their photography skills. If these were taken with a wide angle lense, it will cause some distortion. These pictures look like they were quickly snapped. That is why I wait for OMG's pictures for better accuracy.

Back