Hot Toys J. R. MacReady from 'John Carpenter's The Thing' custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thainer

Super Freak
Reaction score
I finally got around to finishing my MacReady figure and having my 13 year snap some photos (it is her camera and she took a photography class so I figured her pictures would be better than mine) It is a Hot Toys PMC head on a TT body with a GI Joe flight suit and I don't remember what boots they are but I think the jacket is a dragon one I got off the Bay. Joe flamethrower and parts bin shotgun. Diamond Select Jack Bauer hands which fit pretty well in the Hot Toys' sockets.I didn't want to try and sculpt the hair so I cheated a bit and went with the hoody and sombrero he wears to the Norwegian camp. Thanks to Stevo for the sombrero. He is kind of a blend of looks from throughout the film but I feel that it is a cool representation of the character as a whole. I just think that if some big company did this he would come with all these as accessories and I would want to display them all with him so this is what he would look like anyway. On to the pictures:

DSC02492.jpg

DSC02493-1.jpg

DSC02494-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Mike

Great custom! I really liked that movie and have wanted to make my own custom MacReady as well.

I agree with EvilFace in that the hat is throwing off what is a sharp custom. Also, he appears quite thin. You may want to stuff the pant legs with cotton or something to bulk it out, somewhat. Just some suggestions to get a cool custom even better.

Great custom! I really liked that movie and have wanted to make my own custom MacReady as well.

I agree with EvilFace in that the hat is throwing off what is a sharp custom. Also, he appears quite thin. You may want to stuff the pant legs with cotton or something to bulk it out, somewhat. Just some suggestions to get a cool custom even better.

yep , the bottom of his jacket starts puffed out but the towards the top of his pants he looks thin. Stick some cotton woll , or add sculpey to the top of the legs to get em a bit fatter. Also I'm personally not a fan of the hat but I don't even want to imagine how hard to it to get anything close to the movie one ! :horror. Awesome work so far. :rock:rock:D

Back