Hot Toys - Hulkbuster (with Jackhammer arm)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way they make this in diecast. It would be ridiculously heavy.

For $1K plus I'd rather have a figure that is more substantial. I have several Iron Man figures that have been rereleased as diecast and there is a definite step up not just in weight, but in detail and workmanship IMO. I think if HT does a rerelease they will take it to the next level.

I hope they produce a Diecast MKI.

For $1K plus I'd rather have a figure that is more substantial. I have several Iron Man figures that have been rereleased as diecast and there is a definite step up not just in weight, but in detail and workmanship IMO. I think if HT does a rerelease they will take it to the next level.

I wasn't making a comment on diecast vs plastic. I prefer diecast myself for the smaller Iron Man figures. I was saying that it's not practical for a figure of this size and complexity to be made of diecast.

The only difference between diecast and plastic is weight. That’s it. Any updates have nothing to do with it being diecast but newer. Heft is already present in this figure. It has more diecast then the mk6dc, the wmmk1dc and the mk46 combined already.

The workmanship and detail in Hulkbuster is amazing nothing to improve with that. It's stunning.

Do you have any of the newer HHP armors? I have a few and they have the same detail, articulation and workmanship as any of my diecast figures. Actual i would say the detail is much higher with my full plastic versions even the older ones. That is part of the reason i was disappointed with the new MKII it just does not have any detail.

If think if they do a DC MK1 it will proably have the lease amount of DC out of all the armors just because there is not of "metal" in the legs. The leg armor has lots of openings and it's really thin (in 1/6 scale). Not sure how they will do it.

Agreed the workmanship in HB is fantastic. Maybe the later figures have just been improved upon, I know the MKV was a design step-up because I sold the original V a month or so after getting it because I felt it looked puny and flimsy. That wasn't the case with the new one.

I don't know how much weight diecast would add to the Hulkbuster, I just think HT wouldn't do a simple re-release. Sure they're seeing folks paying $1,200 in the secondary for the regular, but even a straight rerelease would probably be closer to a grand now. They aren't chasing secondary pricing, they are in the business of getting their current customers to keep buying more and buying up. Most original buyers probably wouldn't upgrade just to get the jackhammer arm. But if Hot Toys can bring in a diecast for $1,100-$1,200 (even if they lose the second figure and go with a bust instead) they know a lot of original buyers would immediately jump on the bandwagon. Every time there is a diecast we are reminded that "only a percentage is actually metal" and "it's essentially the same as the plastic release", but that doesn't hurt sales. Regardless of what they might look like on display, when I hold a regular figure in one hand and a diecast figure in the other, there is a definite preference. Hulkbuster is one of those centerpiece figures, so I think HT would pull out all the stops with a re-release. So unless there is a production issue, that would likely mean diecast.

But that's all provided there's even a re-release.

There’s pretty much no chance they rerelease it as a “diecast” figure. Do you have the hulkbuster? Does it not “feel” heavy already?

Breaking out all the stops doesn’t mean just adding weight. And if they did do a diecast with a jackhammer arm that’s essentially a 100% new figure. Since the only parts they could replace as diecast would be the external parts. So it’s not a re-release it’s an a whole new figure. Negates any profit bump they would make. Just to make it heavier then 30lbs. No one that holds this thing think the one thing it’s missing is weight.

I think shipping cost might preclude this thing being any heavier than it already is. If I were to bet, I’d say if the jackhammer arm HB is going to be released, they’d take the opportunity to do it without the mech feature and dig up the old blue prints to add more articulation. That would definitely pique the interest of new and original buyers alike.

Agreed the workmanship in HB is fantastic. Maybe the later figures have just been improved upon, I know the MKV was a design step-up because I sold the original V a month or so after getting it because I felt it looked puny and flimsy. That wasn't the case with the new one.

I don't know how much weight diecast would add to the Hulkbuster, I just think HT wouldn't do a simple re-release. Sure they're seeing folks paying $1,200 in the secondary for the regular, but even a straight rerelease would probably be closer to a grand now. They aren't chasing secondary pricing, they are in the business of getting their current customers to keep buying more and buying up. Most original buyers probably wouldn't upgrade just to get the jackhammer arm. But if Hot Toys can bring in a diecast for $1,100-$1,200 (even if they lose the second figure and go with a bust instead) they know a lot of original buyers would immediately jump on the bandwagon. Every time there is a diecast we are reminded that "only a percentage is actually metal" and "it's essentially the same as the plastic release", but that doesn't hurt sales. Regardless of what they might look like on display, when I hold a regular figure in one hand and a diecast figure in the other, there is a definite preference. Hulkbuster is one of those centerpiece figures, so I think HT would pull out all the stops with a re-release. So unless there is a production issue, that would likely mean diecast.

They honestly could have called this one diecast IMO. it's more so than a lot of the other diecast figures i own.

They just spent 2 years on this and just finished it less than 12 months ago so it's way diffrent than the MKV that had years of time between the V1 and V2.
Do you have a Hulkbuster? I have never heard anyone complain of the weight. You should find one and pick it up. It's heavy, solid and they already pulled out all the stops because they just finshed engineering it.

More articulation would be nice but it already takes up the whole shelf so i would have to get a much bigger and deeper display to do anything with better articulation.

It's a crazy figure they really put everything they know how to do in to it. I still look at mine sometimes and find it hard to believe they actually made it.

Besides they still have about 35 figures they teased besides Hulkbuster from this year and last years SDCC they have not put for PO yet. I would think they would want to do some newer figures before tying up a factory remaking this again so soon.

its clear you dont own the original hulkbuster. it was released less than a year ago. theres no plastic mk5 vs diecast situation here. there is also no chance they release this as diecast. its already as heavy as it needs to be. it makes no sense from a logistics or design perspective.

its clear you dont own the original hulkbuster. it was released less than a year ago. theres no plastic mk5 vs diecast situation here. there is also no chance they release this as diecast. its already as heavy as it needs to be. it makes no sense from a logistics or design perspective.

agree. the HB was heavy as heck no way it needs diescast unless its the bust or something detachable from the figure itself.

If Hulkbuster is ever released in a diecast version, the joints better be made of vibranium because anything else and that thing is practically guaranteed to start cracking in spots.

Do you have any of the newer HHP armors? I have a few and they have the same detail, articulation and workmanship as any of my diecast figures. Actual i would say the detail is much higher with my full plastic versions even the older ones. That is part of the reason i was disappointed with the new MKII it just does not have any detail.

Yeah, this. People compare old Mark 5 or Mark 6 to the new ones and they are much better, but that's not because of diecast, its largely because there is years of engineering and design improvements made across the line. It just happens that all the very visible rereleases are all diecast and they are replacing some of the oldest plastic armors Hot Toys has made. The most recent HPP armors, which admittedly not many people have payed attention to or even own, are just as good looking as the diecast rereleases and cost $100-$150 less, and they can be put on any dynamic stand. And they don't rely on the blunt black lines for panel line detail the way that a lot of the diecast armors have.

XVBpDbC.png

What a coup for Hot Toys to convince people that a handful of pot metal parts means premium and is worth padding out their profit margins to such a level

I'm guessing the next go around they will rerelease all of these in carbon fiber and play up the high tech and tough lightness just like Starks real suits.

We will be talking about how much better these are than those old heavy suits HT used to make as we pay $700 each for them :lol

Do you have the hulkbuster? Does it not “feel” heavy already?

I have two. If HT were to release a diecast, I'd sell one and eventually convert the other into Warbuster. If they release another plastic version, I'd also be happy if they offer a Jackhammer arm + Veronica accessory pack. There's no right or wrong in this discussion, just speculation. If it is re-released, the specs will be what they are. Either way I won't lose any sleep.

Yeah, this. People compare old Mark 5 or Mark 6 to the new ones and they are much better, but that's not because of diecast, its largely because there is years of engineering and design improvements made across the line. It just happens that all the very visible rereleases are all diecast and they are replacing some of the oldest plastic armors Hot Toys has made. The most recent HPP armors, which admittedly not many people have payed attention to or even own, are just as good looking as the diecast rereleases and cost $100-$150 less, and they can be put on any dynamic stand. And they don't rely on the blunt black lines for panel line detail the way that a lot of the diecast armors have.

XVBpDbC.png

ironman08-111704.jpg

Hot-Toys-Iron-Man-Blue-Steel-Armor-001_1024x1024.jpg

The CGI models are so soft on detail in some cases like the picture you posted. There are detail lines on the faceplate that are missing. While the black lines definitely could be finer in some cases, I'd rather have that than what's represented in the CGI, I think it would look pretty cheap in hand. The major thing I would want them to to tone down is the line detail on the faceplates.

17.jpg

I don't think the black lines look that bad in this photo compared to promo shots. Credits to Xenomorph.

Last edited:
Why do people want Veronica? The model shown a few years ago isn't close to scale. A gimmick. A 1/6 Veronica would probably be the side of a recliner.

Why do people want Veronica? The model shown a few years ago isn't close to scale. A gimmick. A 1/6 Veronica would probably be the side of a recliner.

They could do something like the MKVII 2.0 pod and make it so you can take apart your Hulkbuster to turn it into Veronica :lol

Would need like ten hulkbusters to be close to scale. Veronica had multiple entire hulkbuster suits and traps to contain the hulk. Lol

They've arguably gotten better at attempting finer detail in diecast, its was worst in the 42/43 era where they were just drawing on detail instead of using layers and separate parts, and the lines just didn't scale well and were too prominent. Its cheating to compare to the QS but but it does highlight how lazy the collar area was especially and the lines are just too heavy

And its the helmet lines I just can't get past on the 46/47, too eyebrow

kkGOcOu.png

The new VII looks a lot more intricate layers and parts, but in that way it is back at the level of the plastic one. They'll solve the rubber panties with the DC version, but they did already fix that on Disco with hard plastic and flaps anyway

yIX3uKY.png

They've arguably gotten better at attempting finer detail in diecast, its was worst in the 42/43 era where they were just drawing on detail instead of using layers and separate parts, and the lines just didn't scale well and were too prominent. Its cheating to compare to the QS but but it does highlight how lazy the collar area was especially and the lines are just too heavy

And its the helmet lines I just can't get past on the 46/47, too eyebrow

kkGOcOu.png

The new VII looks a lot more intricate layers and parts, but in that way it is back at the level of the plastic one. They'll solve the rubber panties with the DC version, but they did already fix that on Disco with hard plastic and flaps anyway

yIX3uKY.png

Haha I was going to bring up the 42/43 too and yeah like I said, the faceplate lines are the worst offenders lol. I'm really liking the new VII but I hope they fix upper part of the faceplate/helmet (widow's peak).

...oh and on topic with HB, I'm going to stick with my current one.

Also they achieved this look on HB (the eyes), but I kinda wish I saw this on the QS 43.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Back