Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about that, I've offered to replace the damaged dome for free and haven't had any takers.

That went under the radar it seems.
I havent read any thing about that.
You should start a thread.

EDIT
My ED-209 should show up on friday. I'm hoping it's easy to remove the dome, as I plan on making a mold and casting it in hard black plastic.

Did you do it?

After receiving my figure I saw that the dome is glued in place and would very likely get damaged in removal.
The plan is to mold the dome on my version while still attached to ED, cast a sample, then use somebodies damaged ED to make sure that the underside of the replacement dome fits perfectly.

Well, mine has started cracking really badly, so I'd love to sign up for a replacement dome! Really starting to disintegrate. Hundreds of cracks are now spider-webbing across the dome. Super bummed about this. Otherwise it's such a fantastic looking piece. Can't believe they'd do the same thing AGAIN.

(And mine was kept in my collection room which has no windows, so there wasn't an UV exposure. Hell, most of the time he was even wearing my Indiana Jones fedora, so the dome wasn't even getting any exposure to the room light!)

Well, mine has started cracking really badly, so I'd love to sign up for a replacement dome! Really starting to disintegrate. Hundreds of cracks are now spider-webbing across the dome. Super bummed about this. Otherwise it's such a fantastic looking piece. Can't believe they'd do the same thing AGAIN.

(And mine was kept in my collection room which has no windows, so there wasn't an UV exposure. Hell, most of the time he was even wearing my Indiana Jones fedora, so the dome wasn't even getting any exposure to the room light!)

When did you buy it

When did you buy it

I got him right when he came out. Had him pre-ordered and flexed from the day he went up for order.

I've had it almost one year to the day. Probably first noticed the cracking about a month or two ago but it could have started well before that.

Last edited:
@Bucky

Maybe you can still try to salvage the dome on your ED. Reposting the video for those looking for a fix.

Truly nothing should surprise anyone about HT after this. A glaring issue on the first release not only ignored but repeated years later on the second release - needlessly - and complaints swept under the carpet, dedicated facebook page taken down so that attention would stop being drawn to their **** up.

If it ever comes out, I expect weak plastic joints and all hoses breaking off on the new Powerloader.

Maybe off topic... anyone know what type of leather HT uses on its figures? Is it faux leather/pleather/vinyl?

Why did you wait so long to do something about it? Yours is beyond help sorry to say.

I got him right when he came out. Had him pre-ordered and flexed from the day he went up for order.

I've had it almost one year to the day. Probably first noticed the cracking about a month or two ago but it could have started well before that.

Sorry about that man this was the one thing that stopped me from buying it even after it went on sale last December. I still don't understand why they went this route even though they must have known what happened to the previous version.

Why did you wait so long to do something about it? Yours is beyond help sorry to say.

Like I said, I didn't notice it was cracked until recently. I'll give the Mod Podge a shot, but I don't have high hopes. As I see it, what have I got to lose at this point?

No matter how it turns out, though, I'm definitely interested in a plastic replacement dome.

wow sorry about this Bucky , mines still in perfect condition , the heat may have something to do about it , my collection rooms pretty cool...

I've had my Ed since SS shipped them out. Never kept him under glass-I like to play with my figures too much, lol. Never had a problem with the dome cracking at all...I saw the problems that people were having with theirs on this tread...so I avoided reading it all together-didn't want to jinx myself. Months later, still good, I decided to take a peek. People were still getting the rotting problem. I can't remember what member really pointed it out to me...and made the message stick...but it wasn't if it was going to happen, but when. So I ordered the Honda Silicone grease and applied it...I already sank four bills buying it...so a few dollars more wasn't gonna kill me in protecting it...I couldn't find it in the thread-or just didn't see it...but when do you apply a second coat?

I mod Podged mine last year and has yet to show a crack. The only thing is that it feels much more spongy than it had before. Argh.

my ed's dome is still fine.
but the left rubber sleeve, i can start to see some fine very tiny crack streak. my heart sank. :/

as far as silicone grease go, does brand matter??
having a hard time sourcing that honda silicone grease, but i can get hold of others. any thoughts?

It's a shame to see this problem is so bad.
Even more sad that people are continuing to ruin their domes with silicone grease.
I recommended Gummi Pflege early on having used it on my car rubber for 20 years, and I warned against silicon. All you have to do is Google rubber care, it's that easy.
Again, sorry this is happening guys and sorry you were steered wrong on the silicone.

Read this. ..
Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

from that page. .
2015-04-11 00.51.40.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-11-00-38-00.jpg

My original post/warning/recommendation. ..
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...rioration-discussion-pics-18.html#post7109105

It's a shame to see this problem is so bad.
Even more sad that people are continuing to ruin their domes with silicone grease.
I recommended Gummi Pflege early on having used it on my car rubber for 20 years, and I warned against silicon. All you have to do is Google rubber care, it's that easy.
Again, sorry this is happening guys and sorry you were steered wrong on the silicone.

Read this. ..
Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

from that page. .
View attachment 178616
View attachment 178615

My original post/warning/recommendation. ..
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...rioration-discussion-pics-18.html#post7109105
In doing a few minutes of research, I'm finding the opposite of what you are saying, that in fact, silicone grease is a good preserver of rubber

Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant.
Silicone grease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The grease has been on my Ed for the past 9 months, and shows no signs of a bad interaction between the two
In fact, looks good as new

That's cool.
Make sure the silicone you use is not petroleum based.
I have no skin in this game as I don't even have an ED209!
You could also try butter, chap stick, or non drowsy cough syrup. That might work.

Back