Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that’s the same grease basically as I have. Different brand. Same thing. Good reviews on it for what it does. Honestly I’m scared to open it after reading so many things about ED209 cracked domes. But to be realistic I highly doubt every single one of them deteriorated like people mentioned here.
But I’ll let you know.

But to be realistic I highly doubt every single one of them deteriorated like people mentioned here.

I doubt it, too. Wish there was a thread for NON-affected ED-209's, where people with no issues let themselves heard. At least so we know they're out there – nevermind figuring out a damage/non-damage ratio etc. But, as so many things online, only the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Mine's been fine since I got it four years ago. I haven't done anything to it but put it in an acrylic case. I had pictures, but I think they're in my photobucket, and well...that's burned. I could take more later, maybe.

Mine's been fine since I got it four years ago. I haven't done anything to it but put it in an acrylic case. I had pictures, but I think they're in my photobucket, and well...that's burned. I could take more later, maybe.

That's awesome. If you have the time, yes, please do. And maybe of the case as well. I'm still looking for a proper, deterioration-proof display solution for this bad boy.

That's awesome. If you have the time, yes, please do. And maybe of the case as well. I'm still looking for a proper, deterioration-proof display solution for this bad boy.

The case was custom made, and while it does the job, it was fairly expensive, and I cannot say that I was too happy with the company that produced it. It is airtight, as far as I can tell, which might have something to do with the condition of the rubber on ED. I'll try to take some pics later this weekend, and see if I can and upload them to...something.

The case was custom made, and while it does the job, it was fairly expensive, and I cannot say that I was too happy with the company that produced it. It is airtight, as far as I can tell, which might have something to do with the condition of the rubber on ED. I'll try to take some pics later this weekend, and see if I can and upload them to...something.

Gotcha. Air-sealed is music to my ears. You don't want to know the extents I've gone to with my tall/triple Bestå... If you want an easy, public, no sign-up necessary uploading platform, I can recommend imgur. Fook Photobucket and whatever hole they crawled out of. Those bastards crippled parts of the internet and deserve to go down, hard, because of it.

I opened mine and it was super mint condition. I did apply the silicone grease but as I was doing it I felt pretty stupid. First of all, the dome has been painted black. So I doubt the grease can and is meant to penetrate through paint. And second, we haven’t heard much about where these people who are complaining about the cracking dome are from. If they all live near the amazon jungle we’ll, their toys probably don’t last. If you catch my drift.

I opened mine and it was super mint condition. I did apply the silicone grease but as I was doing it I felt pretty stupid. First of all, the dome has been painted black. So I doubt the grease can and is meant to penetrate through paint. And second, we haven’t heard much about where these people who are complaining about the cracking dome are from. If they all live near the amazon jungle we’ll, their toys probably don’t last. If you catch my drift.

That's good news buddy. I'm glad. Also, better safe than sorry regarding the application. Probably worth it in the long run.

Now, regarding the dome colour, judging by all the pics, I'd never thought it was painted... Looks like black rubber. You sure it's painted blsck/grey?

pics so we can evaluate. lolz

I was complaining back in the day. My ED209 dome and all of the sleeves started rotting within six weeks and I am not from the jungle but from central Europe.

Yup. Mine took about six months, but it got pretty bad. Central New Jersey. Climate-controlled, UV-free room.

The real issues here are that 1) HT never needed to use rubber in the first place for the dome. And 2) some batches of the rubber they ended up using were clearly of poor quality. (Not all, but some.)

Lots of bad decisions on HT's part because we were all yelling for them not to use rubber the day they announced they were going to revisit ED. Since the 1.0 version had exactly the same problem. So they can't claim they didn't know. Probably a year before he shipped. There was time to avoid this problem and they didn't. And right from the first news of the figure being in the pipeline we were asking and asking whether any of it was rubber and they would never answer the question.

Such a shame because he's a FANTASTIC FIGURE otherwise.

... we were all yelling for them not to use rubber the day they announced they were going to revisit ED. Since the 1.0 version had exactly the same problem. So they can't claim they didn't know. Probably a year before he shipped.

You assume Hot Toys reads this American based forum.

You assume Hot Toys reads this American based forum.

yes. tsang got promoted doing marvel stuff now.
giphy.gif

I don't mean just here. They got an earful through Facebook and other sites. Both after the problems that happened after the 1.0 version and in the run-up to the release of the 2.0 version. They knew.

Back