Hot Toys DX24 & DX25 Bespin Luke Skywalker (Regular and Exclusive versions)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, these comparisons are making me sad. My DX07 is boxed up and that's not what I remember it looking like ... or rather I do remember it looking like that, but we all thought it looked fantastic.

The times they are a-changin' ...
This! Yes the more images and videos posted of them standing side-by-side are crazy. I remember DX07 was fantastic when it arrived all those years ago.

I completely understand why just about everyone is considering the new DX Luke to be superior to original, and I won’t ague the point at all because the improvements and upgrades are pretty obvious.

But there’s just something about DX07 that stands alone. Not necessarily better, but distinct and pleasing in my view. There is an intensity about DX07 that plays very well in my opinion. This is a Luke that just defied both his mentor Ben Kenobi and Yoda himself to defend and rescue his friends at any cost. DX07 embodies this for me…

IMG3257.jpeg

IMG3259.jpeg

I never thought the regular sculpt was all that great on the DX07, but the battle version still holds up well today. The DX07 belt's a slightly too thin but it hasn't shown any signs of deterioration yet.

I will say that I have not seen a single pic of the DX07 posted in the past week or two here or in DX25 reviews that even come close to doing those figures justice. Futzed and posed well, DX07 can still look pretty great, especially the battle version.

I'm interested in the DX25 for a Luke/Muppet Show display (I'm right now hunting down Kermit and Miss Piggy figs) because it matches the proto/promo costume Hamill wears in that episode well, and its a major ESB nostalgia trip for me.

So you hate my DX07 photos 😔

They'll charge you Weds but the slow down at the port will keep your Luke out of your hands for another week or so.

I do hope people start getting this in hand, as I'd like some actual in-hand opinion.

Interesting ...I also just ordered mine last week and he's shipping soon. Ended up just using all reward points on him so that was nice.

Blows me away just how little these YT reviewers know - in the space of ten seconds he says the DX07 boots weren't pleather (they are,) says the new Bespin outfit is a more accurate color than the DX07 outfit (it isn't - it better matches the prototype/promo costume's creamy color) and the new fig "fills out the outfit better" suggesting the DX07 outfit was too baggy (it isn't - the DX25 is too snug and "fatsuited" looking, the DX07 better captures the somewhat baggy fit of the costume, especially in the pants.)

And he loves the stubby, wrong-color, wrong fabric type, thick-straps DX25 boots over the DX07's quite close match to the costume boots. :slap All HT had to do was changethe color on the Snowpseeder boots and it would have been perfect - but they didn't for some reason.

The problem is those two aspects are the ONLY improvements - a spot-on MH facesculpt and a much better cut/sew quality (not overall fit though) on the outfit. And perhaps the base USB connectivity.

The rest is meh boots (noticeable step down from DX07,) slightly off color and too-tightly fitted outfit (with no way to remove fatsuit, and pants not having enough volume to match the costume anyway), dim light-up saber, underwhelming sweaty hairsculpt (proto's hairsculpt looked amazing but HT changed it,) straight re-release of 12 year old DX07 Vader head, and minor reboot of the old SSC freeze chamber base.

I have to disagree with some of those points on the outfit. I have it in hand, and I think the colour is better than the DX07. It's not as light or cream coloured as the ESB proto outfit; it's quite grey as seen in the film. It's just missing the weathering and is a great base to start with IMO. I think the Kenner figure has a lot to do with how brown many think his outfit should be. Alongside my DX07 clothes, the DX24/25 wins hands down for me on cut (except the narrow trousers and smallish thigh pockets), colour and fabric choice.

I do agree that the boots are garbage. Wrong pattern, fabric choice, just garbage. As are the DX07 boots.

I started to do a bit of work on my outfit set. Removing the fatsuit is definitely a help, but I've widened the leg slightly to give about 6mm more 'baggyness' in each leg below the knee- that's about the maximum I can get out of it on the inseam. I've also raised the pocket flaps on the trousers- they need to be higher anyway and just that extra couple of mm helps make them more rectangular. Had to hand sew these though as I couldn't get near with the sewing machine. It's a start, now working on the boots.

IMG_6536.jpeg

IMG_6540.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

Yeah will check the color once I have it in-hand (browns/greys/greens are hard to capture in pics and this outfit is a bit of all three) but this one just feels like it's going to be a lotta work to me.😬

The pockets on both pants and shirt look to me to be a tad undersized (the shirt pockets look like they might benefit from your slide-the-flap mod) and I'm already mulling fixes like you are. Great idea on the re-sew of the pants to get the volume/drape up a bit over the boots.

It's just the cut is proportionately wrong in subtle ways - look at the example of the actual shape of the pocket flap on the HT figure versus the costume below. Like you slide the flap up to help proportion, but its still off cause of the shape/size. Time to start the "DX25 modifications thread".:lol

pockets.png
I can’t think of much to remedy the pocket flaps, short of finding a suitable close match of the fabric or getting a second DX24/5 set to cut up, other than to make them from scratch.

I made a start on n the boots using the HT Hoth boots.

IMG_6562.jpeg
IMG_6563.jpeg

Yup. Got my notice yesterday from Sideshow. Now the long wait till it ships. What do we think? About 2 weeks?

Still on the fence with this one despite him being an OT figure and an iconic look for Luke at that. I think the super tight, super clean outfit is just putting me off.

Love these mods.

At one time, I would have dived right in. But I learned a long time ago that HT is too unreliable (or reliable as it were) in that before you finish your mods they will inevitably be offering "the next great Luke". In this case, a proper battle-damaged Luke.

I'll wait.

I have to disagree with some of those points on the outfit. I have it in hand, and I think the colour is better than the DX07. It's not as light or cream coloured as the ESB proto outfit; it's quite grey as seen in the film. It's just missing the weathering and is a great base to start with IMO. I think the Kenner figure has a lot to do with how brown many think his outfit should be. Alongside my DX07 clothes, the DX24/25 wins hands down for me on cut (except the narrow trousers and smallish thigh pockets), colour and fabric choice.

I do agree that the boots are garbage. Wrong pattern, fabric choice, just garbage. As are the DX07 boots.

I started to do a bit of work on my outfit set. Removing the fatsuit is definitely a help, but I've widened the leg slightly to give about 6mm more 'baggyness' in each leg below the knee- that's about the maximum I can get out of it on the inseam. I've also raised the pocket flaps on the trousers- they need to be higher anyway and just that extra couple of mm helps make them more rectangular. Had to hand sew these though as I couldn't get near with the sewing machine. It's a start, now working on the boots.

View attachment 644637
View attachment 644638
View attachment 644639
I always applaud this level of dedication, when people go to such lengths to improve a stock figure. BUT my argument is, why the hell should any of us have to go to these ridiculous lengths to get movie accurate figures. I mean, if we’re paying $100 bucks then yeah fine, but these things are SO expensive these days, we should be getting a much higher standard of accuracy, straight out of the box!

I’m sure we get a battle damaged Luke again at some point. Hot toys is hot toys. It might be next month or in 5 years , but it will happen. The snowspeeder Luke has great weathering and it stinks this one went to the cleaners before heading to bespin.

Love these mods.
Mods to give the pants and/or jacket a looser fit and to provide more durable boots I get, but I can only shake my head at complaints like the minor discrepancy in the shape of the pocket flaps. In this scale that pocket is no wider than my thumb - I'm not losing sleep over the taper on its flap starting 1/16" closer to the side than it should be lol.

81f92b0e-31d6-447b-9966-7c3b87389da5_text.gif

Back