Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
28607866228_49168d63e4_b.jpg

28607866098_574438ce10_b.jpg

41577703185_348dbbdef8_b.jpg

So, the green tint of my custom coat started bothering me the more I saw it on my figure, so I took the coat that came with Jack and made custom coat v3, in my photos it looks a bit too pure grey but I'm very happy with it in hand and the staining came out better and I like it much more than the green one of my old DX06 coat, so at last, I am totally happy with my Captain Jack Sparrow.

41577703045_a6e7e21293_b.jpg

Mine just arrived.
Didn’t expect the weathering to be so much better than the DX06.

Also have no idea why I ordered this since I long since sold off all my 1:6.
Anyone in Melbourne need Jack? Lol

28607866228_49168d63e4_b.jpg

28607866098_574438ce10_b.jpg

41577703185_348dbbdef8_b.jpg

So, the green tint of my custom coat started bothering me the more I saw it on my figure, so I took the coat that came with Jack and made custom coat v3, in my photos it looks a bit too pure grey but I'm very happy with it in hand and the staining came out better and I like it much more than the green one of my old DX06 coat, so at last, I am totally happy with my Captain Jack Sparrow.

41577703045_a6e7e21293_b.jpg

love that coat man. great job!

love that coat man. great job!

Thank you, with all the 1/6 Jack Sparrow figures over the years, one common problem element has been the coat and always the color. The closest factory coat was Medicom's RAH figure with the black coat, then HT and the Medicom/EB coats have all been shades of brown which look nothing like his coat ever looks on screen.

I've been asked about showing the evolution of my work in pursuit of a proper coat for my figure, so here's a little history.

v1 - DX06 coat customized for my DX06 figure, I included it when I sold my DX06 so no matter what, I had to take another stab for DX15.

41775697014_8100498838_o.jpg

v2 - DX15 coat customized for the DX15 figure before I had it. I was aiming for a warm grey, but in the course of adding orange, the result actually turned green.

42498253421_0e2709bac5_o.jpg

v3 - DX15 coat that came with my figure, I was ok with the green version, but since I had a spare coat and have no intention of ever selling this figure, I decided to give it one last go, and ultimately I'm happiest with this effort of all my coats I've done.

41775696714_0df780b68b_o.jpg

Last effort looks best.

But I gotta say, I really like that "green" coat too... depending on just how "green" it is in hand. Maybe its just photography green.

Great work, man!!!

In dim lighting, the green one looks ok, not as green, but in any sort of daylight, it's too green, that's what kind of killed it for me, when I took my arrival pics of my figure last week, it just came off too green in my photos, if I couldn't do any better, I would have stuck with it, but it was worth trying a third time and it paid off.

Did a good job MaulFan. Though I like your new version and would like to do the same. I'm ok with the color of the stock dx15 coat. But definitely awesome pics.

I will say, of every HT coat, and I've owned all 3 figures with the coat, the DX15 is their best, DX06 was wrong color and didn't have the pattern, and the MMS was just bad, cheaply glued on buttons, bad color, poor fabric choice.

Was this an early DX06 sculpt that didn't make the final product or what?

Yes, DX06 debuted before the EB/Medicom UU figure, once that came out with the smirk face, HT went back and replaced this smiling face with their smirk face, there's always been a bit of a battle between HT and EB for some reason.

Yes, DX06 debuted before the EB/Medicom UU figure, once that came out with the smirk face, HT went back and replaced this smiling face with their smirk face, there's always been a bit of a battle between HT and EB for some reason.

Weird, I like this smiling sculpt much more than the smirking ones. Great Depp vibe from that.

Back