HOT TOYS - DX15 - Batman Returns KEATON BATMAN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All you care about is money.

This hobby deserves a better class of Batman figure, and Hot Toys is gonna give it to em'.

Why don't we charge you an extra $100 a figure as each year passes.

Then we'll see how loyal a Hot Toys' fan really is.

At least the quality is growing too.
Sideshow stuck in 2008 with their human statues/PFs yet charging more then twice as much. Not to mention their QC.

I'm sure the increased budget helped too. Not that '89 Batman look is bad by any means, it's just the costumes, special effects and cinematography are a huge leap forward with Returns. It's like the various departments upped up their A-game and produced some a pretty sleek looking film.

While I'm not too keen on Batman Returns script, it's one of the best looking films on Blu-Ray. Everything is so sharp and good looking, especially DAT CATWOMAN.

Ouch - that hurts a bit given that the first film was shot in the UK, the second in the US. I still prefer the sets for the first one, although this may just be for sentimental reasons - I worked at Pinewood when Batman was being made and had plenty of opportunities to wander round them. The backlot in particular pretty much WAS Gotham. So I find it hard to see how those could be bettered.

Love the kookiness of Returns though, I think Burton had a lot more fun with it.

Ouch - that hurts a bit given that the first film was shot in the UK, the second in the US. I still prefer the sets for the first one, although this may just be for sentimental reasons - I worked at Pinewood when Batman was being made and had plenty of opportunities to wander round them. The backlot in particular pretty much WAS Gotham. So I find it hard to see how those could be bettered.

Love the kookiness of Returns though, I think Burton had a lot more fun with it.

Don't get me wrong, Gotham is better designed in Batman '89. Anton Furst's production design was incredible. Design wise, I think Batman '89 is superior. Better Gotham City, better Batcave, better script, etc. I also think the first film is better overall.

I was just saying however that, from a technical/filmmaking standpoint, Batman Returns looks better. Everything is much cleaner with a nice contrast and fantastic special effects. The model work in '89 is good, but Batman Returns is better. The cinematography is superior. Everything from Stan Winston's creations and creature work to the numerous tricks implemented are really well done. Now, I HATE how small the Gotham City set is in Returns, especially within the confines of the plaza, but it's still much more crisp and refined looking. Batman '89 is kind of murky and dark. It has that hazy 80s grit to the way it looks. Everything from Batman's suit to the special effects is a little rough around the edges. Returns simply does it better. I think the style of the film, the lighting and use of snow also helps make the film look cleaner.

Bo Welch is like Barbara Ling and pretty much every other Production Designer, glorified art director that gets all the credit. Anton Furst wasn't human, he was a bonafide genius. Every vehicle, gadget and key location was based on his designs. That's unheard of on movies like this today. The only person I can think of comparing him to is Albin Grau. Besides the usual storyboard artists, the only other 89 production illustrator I know of was David Russell. Pretty mediocre stuff and it looks like the only thing he influenced was the mood of the scene where Batman brings Vicki to the cave.

There were armies of artists contributing designs on the sequels.

Gotham Plaza by Thomas W. Lay Jr.
tumblr_nb9tohINiI1tikndpo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nb2rn2Dww81tikndpo1_1280.jpg

Don't get me wrong, Gotham is better designed in Batman '89. Anton Furst's production design was incredible. Design wise, I think Batman '89 is superior. Better Gotham City, better Batcave, better script, etc. I also think the first film is better overall.

I was just saying however that, from a technical/filmmaking standpoint, Batman Returns looks better. Everything is much cleaner with a nice contrast and fantastic special effects. The model work in '89 is good, but Batman Returns is better. The cinematography is superior. Everything from Stan Winston's creations and creature work to the numerous tricks implemented are really well done. Now, I HATE how small the Gotham City set is in Returns, especially within the confines of the plaza, but it's still much more crisp and refined looking. Batman '89 is kind of murky and dark. It has that hazy 80s grit to the way it looks. Everything from Batman's suit to the special effects is a little rough around the edges. Returns simply does it better. I think the style of the film, the lighting and use of snow also helps make the film look cleaner.

I must admit I don't know Returns as well as I know '89, will have to rewatch both soon I think. I agree about the special effects on Batman '89, there's an element of rubber bands and sticky tape and it almost looks like pretty much everything was done by blokes in Pinewood with models. But to me that's part of its charm.

Anton Furst was incredible, all those details on the buildings that look like they should exist but actually came out of his mind are brilliant. I would love to see a big glossy art book about the Burton Batman films with all his drawings/ paintings.

I agree about the special effects on Batman '89, there's an element of rubber bands and sticky tape and it almost looks like pretty much everything was done by blokes in Pinewood with models. But to me that's part of its charm.
Exactly.
89' Gotham was messy and dirty witch complemented to the overall noir tone.
All of these gone in BR. Too clean, too stylish, too different.

No sign of Returns on this poster from HT latest convention show in China :(

04FCD7D3-0A6B-44A9-869E-1A3AD5E1D48F.jpg

No sign of Returns on this poster from HT latest convention show in China :(

04FCD7D3-0A6B-44A9-869E-1A3AD5E1D48F.jpg

That's .... that's worrying. Is there a rep from HT on this forum, that can give us something (anything) to reassure us that it's still on the cards? Even a simple 'don't worry' would suffice.

That's .... that's worrying. Is there a rep from HT on this forum, that can give us something (anything) to reassure us that it's still on the cards? Even a simple 'don't worry' would suffice.

:rotfl Rep from Hot Toys! :rotfl That's rich!

In all seriousness, DX15 Returns Batman WILL happen. But for whatever reason, HT didn't feel the need to promote it at this particular event.

The Keaton license actually expired last month and Hot Toys is trying desperately to put together a deal with Val Kilmer. George Clooney is the backup backup plan. But don't tell anybody.

Maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it's obviously a new poster as other new things are on there. So why leave Returns off?

Because it's not up for PO yet/HT is still working on it? Everything in that mural has either sold out, is currently available or has gone up for PO.

Not worried about this figure. The above HT wallpaper doesn't mean anything. Just a product design that the HT marketing team had ready to go.

Yeah... It is very possible the poster was simply designed before they revealed Returns Bats.

Sallah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back