Hot Toys Black Widow review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's time to check out a beautiful lady - or at least an action figure based on one. Hot Toys has just released their second Black Widow figure, based on the look from the Avengers. This is Hot Toys, so there's no surprise she's nice, but there's always a few nits to pick. You can find my review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

I'm always surprised to see people give special mention to ball-joint necks as a positive. I hate them in most cases, I mean its probably OK on this figure. But generally is the ability to tilt a head really that important? Theres not that many poses I would want to have my figure in that would require it.

Incidentally, I'd say this is the weakest Avengers figure so far. I'd agree with the review in saying that she looks mannequin-like and go further aswell to say that it doesn't look like Scarjo. Too skinny all over for one thing.

Last edited:
nice review as always, and I hate to be a d!ck, but it's Joss Whedon...not Josh :)

So Michael.... has asaindating.com always been a sponsor for your site or is it just because this is a female figure?

great review. the magazines are removable

Agreed! I love your reviews and picks. The magazines sometimes stick. I gave mine a minor yank to remove it. Here is a pic from my gallery.

BLACK%2520WIDOW%2520102.JPG

Can't wait to see your reviews on Loki, the MKVII, and the HULK! :lecture

Interesting point about the restrictive boots - this is one of those figures that I'd want to put in more dynamic poses. Can't please everyone I guess... I can imagine the outpouring of grief had they gone with a two-piece solution. And $200, far out... I passed on this as easily as Selina Kyle.

Great review and enjoyed reading your thoughts on this figure. Articulation in the boot area would of been very nice, but overall the figure poses very well.

I'm always surprised to see people give special mention to ball-joint necks as a positive. I hate them in most cases, I mean its probably OK on this figure. But generally is the ability to tilt a head really that important? Theres not that many poses I would want to have my figure in that would require it.

Incidentally, I'd say this is the weakest Avengers figure so far. I'd agree with the review in saying that she looks mannequin-like and go further aswell to say that it doesn't look like Scarjo. Too skinny all over for one thing.

Every pose requires it - a ball jointed neck is critical to getting any sort of realism in any pose. Humans don't have a stiff neckline from butt to the top of their head, and when they do, it always looks unnatural.

Every pose requires it - a ball jointed neck is critical to getting any sort of realism in any pose. Humans don't have a stiff neckline from butt to the top of their head, and when they do, it always looks unnatural.

I think having a seam or even an open gap underneath the jaw seperating the head and neck looks more unnatural. At least its possible to find a pose that doesn't look wrong but you have to put up with the seam permanently.

As regards posing, maybe I'm just so used to Terminator figures which really don't require elaborate positions and are in fact more accurate without anything fancy. The ball-joint on DX10 bugs the crap out of me, very poorly executed and stiff looking. So it doesn't even have that going for it.

Horses for course, I love to see neck articulation, as Mike said it can totally make a pose work if you tilt the head a little.
And the strange thing is I have all the Avengers so far (appart from MK VII) and she is my fave.
A1pose10_zpsda54beb2.jpg

Awesome.
Are you gonna do Cap and Thor?
Can't answer for Mike but just finishing off a treble whammy!

What is the hair like on this figure? I would really like to get it but the "real" hair scares me. Worried it'll get messed up easily. Any insight from owners out there?

Back