Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for short video so happy can plug in no batterys. I cant wait to display next to 89 car.

delorean.jpg

Going to have to go get some wires.... thsts a big difference in details that aren't subtle they just stopped caring about this unfortunately mid way theough

I usually give HT the benefit of the doubt but not in this case. The convention pics next to the production pics for the interior are noticeably different. This is IMO a great example of cutting corners or not caring about your workmanship.

But in fairness, if you read the description on the sideshow site, what lights up inside is vaguely written. Plus they don't give any shots on the inside that show the cables. But still, to display a piece at a convention with all the bells and whistles, then to release this is a bit of a letdown. Doing just enough not to have customers return the item, while simultaneously lowering the bar on your own quality.

I usually give HT the benefit of the doubt but not in this case. The convention pics next to the production pics for the interior are noticeably different. This is IMO a great example of cutting corners or not caring about your workmanship.

Are there any specific things that have got worse since the prototypes?

But in fairness, if you read the description on the sideshow site, what lights up inside is vaguely written.

Very carefully written. Amongst all the talk of lighted elements they mention 'one set of time circuits'. This strongly implies that they too are lit, but they don't actually say that outright.

They also mention 'Two (2) seaters'. Time circuits were never lit, lightning pole was never shown, to expect them to be included was just wishful thinking.
Would it have been nice to have an exact replica? Sure, but if that wasn't the case with previous HT vehicles, why would anyone expect it to be with a more complicated design like the BTTF Delorean? Frankly, I'm a little surprised they actually mass produced this as I thought it had a good chance of remaining a prototype only, as the BTTF2 Delorean will likely be.

They also mention 'Two (2) seaters'. Time circuits were never lit, lightning pole was never shown, to expect them to be included was just wishful thinking.
Would it have been nice to have an exact replica? Sure, but if that wasn't the case with previous HT vehicles, why would anyone expect it to be with a more complicated design like the BTTF Delorean? Frankly, I'm a little surprised they actually mass produced this as I thought it had a good chance of remaining a prototype only, as the BTTF2 Delorean will likely be.

Its the old love hate relationship we all have with hot toys products. One minute you see the prototype and you love, slowly but surely you see more pics and you begin to hate it. Finally we get in product shots and videos and everybody loves it again. Its the circle....the circle of hot toys..

Its the old love hate relationship we all have with hot toys products. One minute you see the prototype and you love, slowly but surely you see more pics and you begin to hate it. Finally we get in product shots and videos and everybody loves it again. Its the circle....the circle of hot toys..

That's very true. I also use my iPhone almost exclusively to take pics and it has some weird lens issue that makes HT heads look too big. Plus, with images, lighting can make a huge difference.
As for the naysayers, i think it's more along the lines of wanting *everything* they put out, but not being able to afford hardly anything(To be fair it would cost a fortune to get it all, but even if you only bought four a year, it's still a chunk of change!!!).
Although there are a few "reasonable people" who say: "I'd love this but can't afford it" for many products, there will always be a portion of people that would like the product if it were cheaper, can't afford it either way(Which is cool. I'd hate to think anyone is using a credit card to buy this stuff. They are only toys and dolls after all), and who then go out of their way to rubbish it for totally other reasons, either real or imagined. Some details wrong or missing, or some other reason.
It's not everyone of course, but when i see someone who seems to have little interest in a figure or vehicle constantly putting it down to the extent of insulting anyone who is buying the item, i always think they are just in denial.
There are loads of figures. If one doesn't float your boat, get another one. And if the figure or vehicle incenses you so much, just steer clear of the thread and save yourself some hassle.
I generally only watch threads of figures i like the look of, but i still can't afford them all, lol.
As it is, i'll be spending two weeks wages on the Delorean, and my girlfriend is pretty upset about that, hehe.

I'm still contemplated on whether or not I should get this. One one hand, it's absolutely what I always wanted as a kid and it would go beautifully with my Marty figure but on the other hand, I'm not big on 1/6 vehicles as they take up too much space and the lack of foot pedals is quite a bummer. Yes, it's such a minor thing as that's what non-collectors will pick up, "Wow, such details for a model... wait, no foot pedals?". :slap

I don't buy into the notion that it would hinder with the Marty figure either as HT could have made the pedals detachable. Either way, I can't wait to see some reviews as I think it looks fantastic, maybe I'll need to flip a coin.

The problem with this is that it's not only an iconic vehicle on the outside, but the inside too. There has to be a trade off.

Most of the time, it's sat on a shelf to be admired and I generally think that visitors to my home, viewing my collection, won't be holding up pictures of the original to compare and complain about the differences.

I'm happy with what I'm getting for my money. As a collector - I'd like to make small improvements to make it more accurate and am also happy to do that (even looking forward to it) as long as I don't damage the original - just making the piece extra-special for me to admire.

I know there's a lot of hate in this thread for HT, but I personally don't think they deliberately "Gave up" or "Cut corners" particularly on purpose. As others have mentioned and been ignored - the tooling costs alone on this must have been colossal, so they had to compromise somewhere. Can you imagine what all the negative whiners on here would say if this had cost twice as much because of the level of detail needed to shut them up?

Back