Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how is everyone planning to actually display this thing? Do you have a case it will go inside of? Will you out on a shelf? On your coffee table?

I haven't ordered yet, in part because I'm not sure where it would be best to place it. I'm sure I can find a spot, but due to its size, there's no clear, obvious answer like a 1/6 or 1/4 figure, so was curious what everyone else's plans are.

The answer to your question is it wont do anything. You'd need to cut out sections for each of the time circuit digital displays and then place transparent plastic in front of it then an led behind it to make it work properly. Even then each section of the lettering for the digital display has to light up and you can't just have an led shining through it coz it will illuminate the entire piece of transparent plastic not just the tiny digits you require to be lit.

Imo its not worth the hassle and it would be a brave person who attempts to mod it. There are plenty of other lightup features on the car then to be worried about the time circuits lighting up. I would say it was too complex even for hot toys to achieve the desired effect with the digits and this is why they left it out.

Don't agree, but that's why we have started the other threads. It really depends on whether the DeLorean can come apart safely or not. If it's too easy to break, it's not worth it. If those time circuits come out, I've already been speaking to people who think they can make it work. Only once it's in-hand will we know about a lot of the mods. I'm happy the way it is, but want to at least look at making it look closer to the original.

Just curious if the decals or whatever they used on the dash and time circuit aren't transparent how is a thin led going to do anything? Seems like a lot of work for something that may look worse

The EL tape is an idea for under the flux bands. Although, I did ask what the chances were to print directly on EL sheet for time circuits, but someone said hiding the wires would be too difficult. So that's out of the question. Like I said above - I've been speaking to people regarding chances of replacing the whole piece.

Don't agree, but that's why we have started the other threads. It really depends on whether the DeLorean can come apart safely or not. If it's too easy to break, it's not worth it. If those time circuits come out, I've already been speaking to people who think they can make it work. Only once it's in-hand will we know about a lot of the mods. I'm happy the way it is, but want to at least look at making it look closer to the original.

The time circuits are more then likely only stickers stuck onto the time circuit box. How your going to get the actual digits to light up and not be an overlay of light coming through a black background not lighting up anything else would be a very difficult thing to do indeed and that's what i'm saying. It wouldn't look right and would resemble the effect the diamond select delorean has on its light up time circuits as seen in the video below (0:51 on vid). I think that's the reason hot toys didn't attempt to do it.

Last edited:
The time circuits are more then likely only stickers stuck onto the time circuit box. How your going to get the actual digits to light up and not be an overlay of light coming through a black background not lighting up anything else would be a very difficult thing to do indeed and that's what i'm saying. It wouldn't look right and would resemble the effect the diamond select delorean has on its light up time circuits as seen in the video below (0:51 on vid). I think that's the reason hot toys didn't attempt to do it.

I do understand what you're saying, and no offense, but you're not reading what I'm saying. I asked about the EL tape and was told that would be near impossible.

Just to clarify - I was not agreeing with this part of what you said:

Imo its not worth the hassle and it would be a brave person who attempts to mod it. There are plenty of other lightup features on the car then to be worried about the time circuits lighting up. I would say it was too complex even for hot toys to achieve the desired effect with the digits and this is why they left it out.

Of course, some of us will mod it and some are not prepared to. That's up to the individual to decide.

I did ask what the chances were to print directly on EL sheet for time circuits, but someone said hiding the wires would be too difficult. So that's out of the question. Like I said above - I've been speaking to people regarding chances of replacing the whole piece.

So, the whole thing will need to be replaced with a new one. One that is moulded/cut appropriately. And, as soon as I have the DeLorean, I'll see if it can come apart safely and take it to the workshop and ask if it's possible to make the upgraded piece.

Like all the other upgrades - and mentioned by Fan - it would be better to replace rather than have to cut etc, so that it doesn't ruin the original.

I'm not gonna clog up the rest of this thread with upgrade talk, as that's not fair to other collectors. I'll update the other mod thread as and when ideas/mods come.

This is the 40 gallon one I got as I mentioned for $40 as its on sale at Petco right now. I always use fish tanks hahaha. My 89 bat mobile is in a custom made fish tank I got for $100.

Do you need one that big to fit the Delorean (and Marty) or did you buy one big enough to fit multiple figures? I actually bought a 10g for a turtle there a couple weeks ago and was thinking of going back to get one for the Delorean and Marty. 10g already seems so big. If not 10 would 20g fit the Delorean and Marty?

The yellow plutonium cap seems to be a separate part. I wonder if it has space for a plutonium cartridge, if so could that point to a future accessories plan maybe supplied with doc. Super wishful thinking on my part I admit!

Do you need one that big to fit the Delorean (and Marty) or did you buy one big enough to fit multiple figures? I actually bought a 10g for a turtle there a couple weeks ago and was thinking of going back to get one for the Delorean and Marty. 10g already seems so big. If not 10 would 20g fit the Delorean and Marty?

Defiantly need a 40 gal. I actually work at Petco and I brought the delorean measurements with me to work one day and a tape measure and only the 40 gal breeder would fit. The delorean is about tumbler size just not as tall. Been hunting for a cheap case for months and the 40 gal was the cheapest. So a 20 is defiantly too small.

Defiantly need a 40 gal. I actually work at Petco and I brought the delorean measurements with me to work one day and a tape measure and only the 40 gal breeder would fit. The delorean is about tumbler size just not as tall. Been hunting for a cheap case for months and the 40 gal was the cheapest. So a 20 is defiantly too small.

Sounds great. Can't wait to see it in place. Also, the word you are looking for is definitely.

I'M still 2 more car payments loved to know how much shipping going to be ? The 89 was i think 100 or so to ship.

So no shipping notices from SS yet?

We will be lucky is ssc ships this in late February I think. Seems like very few people have it even now a couple weeks after release. Still no reviews or comprehensive video, just a scant few photos floating around really.

I wonder what shipping to Canada will be. Does anyone recall what the cost was to ship the '89 Batmobile up here?

Back