1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually liked the plot of the film. Especially how certain revelations flipped your expectations. It essentially gave the early parts of the film a new perspective. And because of that I’m considering watching it a second time around at the theatres.

And I’ve read elsewhere people are saying they’re hoping for a new creative team (other than Brie), and I’m not sure how I feel about that. While the follow up imo has to be a bit more exciting (which they usually are as there’s a lot less exposition etc), but as I said I liked the basic premise of the story that ran throughout the film :dunno

Still thinking about my ranking tiers. Some movies seem to age well, while others don't. People complain about Brie's performance, but the plot of the movie is doesn't really help to show a lot of range. At least it was better than Scarlett's acting in Iron Man 2 (now that was wooden.)

Meh:
Hulk
Thor the Dark World
Thor
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers Age of Ultron
Ant Man

Good:
Ant Man2
Captain America
GOTG 2
Dr. Strange
Captain Marvel

Very Good:
Spider-man Homecoming
Iron Man
Black Panther
Captain Ameria - Civil War

Elite:
Infinity War
Avengers
GOTG
Thor Ragnarok
Captain America - Winter Soldier

I can agree with this list but I would actually put Dr Strange in the Very Good section. I loved that flick.

I can agree with this list but I would actually put Dr Strange in the Very Good section. I loved that flick.

Yeah, personal preference is going to have a big impact. Dr. Strange was fairly straight by the numbers MCU formula though. Sure there was some cool trippy scenes, but the villain was fairly generic (I want power, I have power.) I mean this is the MCU, so still a 'good movie', just not enough to make it rise above standard formula. No big plot twists or unexpected character development.

Yeah even though I don't agree with everything on that list, I'd probably put CM in the "good" category as well. Although that might change after a second viewing.

Reflecting on my list, good is still high praise. As a character origin movie, it beats out to me Thor, Captain America, Hulk, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange. While not GOTG level for sure as an introduction, we have to admire what solid quality film Marvel can put out there, often with a good cast and special effects.

Based on the origin's of CM's powers in this movie, I am curious to see how she interacts with the Infinity Stones. She might have a power of manipulating them at a fair level, beyond even Starlord and Thanos (without Gauntlet.)

Yeah, personal preference is going to have a big impact. Dr. Strange was fairly straight by the numbers MCU formula though. Sure there was some cool trippy scenes, but the villain was fairly generic (I want power, I have power.) I mean this is the MCU, so still a 'good movie', just not enough to make it rise above standard formula. No big plot twists or unexpected character development.
Oh yeah I totally agree it was a typical MCU origin film with a typical generic villain. pretty straight forward. I did like how he beat the villain with the time loop tho. I just love the character of Dr Strange a lot so I tend to rate it higher than it should be lol

Oh yeah I totally agree it was a typical MCU origin film with a typical generic villain. pretty straight forward. I did like how he beat the villain with the time loop tho. I just love the character of Dr Strange a lot so I tend to rate it higher than it should be lol

Full agreement. Personally I love Captain America, and would love to put his origin movie high, but I recognize the flaws and limitations in the movie. But even then I give it a re-watch often.

But CM has me excited for the figure now. Movie was good. All the negative social media stuff was unfortunate, but in the culture it can be quite profitable. Controversy sells. The movie was more about the trials and tribulations that humanity faces, but we share that experience in the movie through CM.

Not sure why some are sad about sculpted hair. Look at the infinity War black widow with short rooted hair. Looks like garbage ruining what is otherwise a great figure.

My Widow is still in the box, it looks ****ing awful.

I’ve been collecting huge swaths of the various MCU figures for 5-6 years now, and the only figure I always decide against is, are the Black Widow figures.

I’ve probably collected 3-5 figures of all the other 3 main avengers, but just can’t stand the BW figures.

I would rate Dr Strange higher as well, but mostly just because of Cumberbatch who I think makes the movie a lot more fun and compelling than it probably would be without him.

Glad to see Captain Marvel approaching a half billion worldwide. Saw it yesterday (8.5/10).
Would be nice to see Yon-Rogg, Minn-Erva, Ronan and/or Talos figures, although doubtful they'd come from HT. Maybe one of the knock off companies.
Hopefully a grown Monica Rambeau will show up in CM2.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I think Cumberbatch is a better choice than Phoenix...just my two cents...

One thing that just popped in my head is that prequels always ruin something in the established canon. In the discussion in “The Avengers” in the Helicarrier about the need of “Phase II”, Fury only mentioned the arrival of Thor as the main motivation for weaponizing the Tessaract. This movie just blew a giant portal-in-the-sky hole in that statement. *Sigh*

Spoiler Spoiler:

I have the same thoughts about the portion I highlighted above.

One thing that just popped in my head is that prequels always ruin something in the established canon. In the discussion in “The Avengers” in the Helicarrier about the need of “Phase II”, Fury only mentioned the arrival of Thor as the main motivation for weaponizing the Tessaract. This movie just blew a giant portal-in-the-sky hole in that statement. *Sigh*

I disagree. Don't forgot, weaponizing the Tessaract was more motivation of World Council/Government than Fury. Fury likely was against this move, instead knowing the Avengers initiative was the only true advantage Earth could have over alien armies. He had to do his job and support his superior's calls, but Fury was working on his own high-risk alternative (in his mind, the only viable solution.) However, Thor forced the World Council to build the only unoriginal, but powerful counter-measure they could (more advanced nuclear weapons.) Before that Fury was the only one that really actually saw the alien threat, and the bureaucrats could safety ignore/laugh about it until the destroyer blew up a city with ease. One thing to read a report on Aliens, its another when Asgardian tech is beaming out of the sky.

Even though the Tesseract was Shield's countermeasure, as Fury said in the Avengers - 'never put all my chips on that number....playing something riskier....remarkable people to work together to fight the battles we never could...believing in that idea...in heroes.' The avenger's initiative was Fury's plan 100%, even if is superiors ignored or laughed it off for years.

To me Captain Marvel only reinforced the cannon.

The movie pretty much showed that Project Pegasus has been around for awhile. Maybe since daddy Stark recovered the Tesseract in Cap 1. I’m sure they were doing all sorts of research on the stone given that the Red Skull already did create highly advanced weapons from it since WW1. I can’t imagine they simply treated the cube as an 0-8-4 (Agents of Shield terminology) and simply stored it away. At least not the whole time.

But keep in mind we weren’t shown a date where upon Goose spat it out. If you look at the scene you’ll notice that the technology appeared to be more advanced than what he was using earlier in the film. So for all we know Fury didn’t have access to the Cube for more than a decade plus, and as such maybe no definite plans had been put into action by Project Pegasus, which it seems was always a joint venture between SHIELD and NASA. And with the involvement of NASA I’m guessing their priority was always the creation of engines for space travel as it was in the Captain Marvel film.

As there hadn’t been any Alien incursions for quite a while it may very well have been the arrival of Thor that jump started weapons research back into the Cube.

I've never had any issues with rooted hair and I've owned 2 different black widows, one with short hair and one with long hair. Natural hair is slightly frizzy

I would love a movie theater that has headphone inputs in the seat so I could listen to my headphones instead of the theater speakers. That way I don't have to listen to the idiots in the theatre laughing, talking or applauding.

That would be great!

Fury only mentioned the arrival of Thor as the main motivation for weaponizing the Tessaract. This movie just blew a giant portal-in-the-sky hole in that statement. *Sigh*

You could interpret Fury’s statement about Thor to be about extraterrestrials in general. What happened in Captain Marvel sparked the need for a defence, and the incident with Thor reaffirmed that there was still a need. Also Fury’s secrets have secrets. It doesn’t surprise me that he wouldn’t expose any past encounters with aliens. He told the avengers, and the audience only what we needed to know at the time.

Back