HOBBIT figures pricing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gideon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Question about pricing of the WETA statues:

I got in on the very first Sideshow LOTR figure and they were nice enough to give me a discount from the very start. I got all the figures I wanted at what I thought were fair prices.

Now I see the WETA statues and it looks to me we are paying two to three times what we were paying for the LOTR stuff and I know the cost of living and inflation has NOT doubled in ten years.

Is there anybody else bummed about this?

I got in on the very first Sideshow LOTR figure and they were nice enough to give me a discount from the very start. I got all the figures I wanted at what I thought were fair prices.

Now I see the WETA statues and it looks to me we are paying two to three times what we were paying for the LOTR stuff and I know the cost of living and inflation has NOT doubled in ten years.

Big time. If it wasn't for the discount I get working part time at a comic shop, I would probably be out of trying to do the complete line.

That being said, I still think they are worth. There are worse things to spend money on.

Last edited:
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but the price of Collectibles has doubled in 10 years. That's either a fact you accept or don't but the items are still worth it IMO.

Same is true with everything else. Look at the BD 6-inch figures at $14.99 compared to ToyzBiz LOTR figures for $10 back in the day.

Prices go up and it sucks. Personally, I'd never feel that bad for giving WETA alittle extra money. In my opinion they've done so much for Tolkien that I'm fine with giving them something extra. These are books I never thought I'd see in movie form outside the 70s cartoon, so it's something I'm alittle thankful for.

No. Costs go up and to expect statues to sell at or near the prices they did 10 years ago is naive. Look what else has gone up - petrol, food, gas and electricity - everything, not just statues.

Sideshow prices are just the same too.

And what about cell phones, iPods, Ipads, computer equipment, TVs, and...pumpkins. Point is not everything gets more expensive but the powers that be like it that we are all so expecting it and willing to accept it.

No. Costs go up and to expect statues to sell at or near the prices they did 10 years ago is naive. Look what else has gone up - petrol, food, gas and electricity - everything, not just statues.

Sideshow prices are just the same too.

Yup been saying this for a line time now.

It is not about increased manufacturing costs.

It is about increased consumer spending. People's spending habits have changed and are more willing and able to spend on material goods.

And when this happens, you have increased demand and higher prices.

People generally don't save money these days.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why the cost of Sideshow and Weta collectibles have risen in price so dramatically, but the most devastating of these is the devaluation of the US dollar against almost all other global currencies. Borrowing 10.5 trillion in the last 12 years is not only morally criminal, it is economic suicide and if you think prices are high now just wait another 2 or 3 years because today's pricing will look like "the good ole days" compared to what's coming. You simply cannot borrow money so recklessly, then print money [Quantitive Easing] you don't have the reserves for [gold or otherwise] and not expect there to be serious repercussions. And we are starting to see those repercussions with a sharp increase in inflation domestically and a US dollar that is significantly devalued internationally.

That said, of course I am bummed out by today's pricing of both Weta and Sideshow middle-earth related collectibles, but things are what they are. We have only to decide whether the prices these companies are asking are reasonable or not, and act accordingly. I will admit however, that while I believe every company has the right to ask whatever they want for their products I was shocked when Weta announced the price of Barad Dur. There is no doubt it was one of the more impressive looking LOTR collectibles I saw at SDCC, but in order for me to believe this environment is worth $700, I have to believe the amt. of time and effort that went into it's production is equal to that of both Rivendell and Orthanc combined, and that's just not happening. And that was before I even realized the tower itself is to be comprised of hardened plastic. So unfortunately, it will be the first Weta environment I will be passing on.

As for Weta's Hobbit line-up displayed at SDCC I have to say I was quite impressed with all of them outside of Thorin Oakenshield, but that said, if I were Sideshow CEO Greg Anzalone I would be sending a thank you card to Weta co-founder and Creative Director Richard Taylor because based on the pricing of these Hobbit collectibles he has managed to do that which I previously thought impossible. Namely, to silence those who have criticized the pricing of Sideshow's LOTR maquette line since it's inception [all the while remaining completely silent when Weta doubled the price of their environment line when they re-introduced it]. Again, I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of both Weta's Hobbit line and Sideshow's LOTR maquette's at SDCC, but if I had to determine which company/line [Weta /Hobbit or Sideshow/LOTR maquette] is providing better value for the money or a "bigger bang for the buck" it is without a doubt Sideshow. The limited, numbered nature of the Sideshow line [as opposed to Weta's "let's just flood the market" open editions], the ability to alternatively display the LOTR maquettes [ yes, I recognize the Weta Gandalf statue also features this ability, but to date it is the only one], and Sideshow's individually designed and sculpted bases specific to each character [as opposed to Weta's "one size fit's all", generic, assembly line bases] lead me to believe collector's are getting more value for their money with Sideshow. Not that I think Sideshow's pricing is anything to write home about, but I do think they are providing better value for the money at the moment.

There are a myriad of reasons as to why the cost of Sideshow and Weta collectibles have risen in price so dramatically, but the most devastating of these is the devaluation of the US dollar against almost all other global currencies. Borrowing 10.5 trillion in the last 12 years is not only morally criminal, it is economic suicide and if you think prices are high now just wait another 2 or 3 years because today's pricing will look like "the good ole days" compared to what's coming. You simply cannot borrow money so recklessly, then print money [Quantitive Easing] you don't have the reserves for [gold or otherwise] and not expect there to be serious repercussions. And we are starting to see those repercussions with a sharp increase in inflation domestically and a US dollar that is significantly devalued internationally.

That said, of course I am bummed out by today's pricing of both Weta and Sideshow middle-earth related collectibles, but things are what they are. We have only to decide whether the prices these companies are asking are reasonable or not, and act accordingly. I will admit however, that while I believe every company has the right to ask whatever they want for their products I was shocked when Weta announced the price of Barad Dur. There is no doubt it was one of the more impressive looking LOTR collectibles I saw at SDCC, but in order for me to believe this environment is worth $700, I have to believe the amt. of time and effort that went into it's production is equal to that of both Rivendell and Orthanc combined, and that's just not happening. And that was before I even realized the tower itself is to be comprised of hardened plastic. So unfortunately, it will be the first Weta environment I will be passing on.

As for Weta's Hobbit line-up displayed at SDCC I have to say I was quite impressed with all of them outside of Thorin Oakenshield, but that said, if I were Sideshow CEO Greg Anzalone I would be sending a thank you card to Weta co-founder and Creative Director Richard Taylor because based on the pricing of these Hobbit collectibles he has managed to do that which I previously thought impossible. Namely, to silence those who have criticized the pricing of Sideshow's LOTR maquette line since it's inception [all the while remaining completely silent when Weta doubled the price of their environment line when they re-introduced it]. Again, I was thoroughly impressed by the quality of both Weta's Hobbit line and Sideshow's LOTR maquette's at SDCC, but if I had to determine which company/line [Weta /Hobbit or Sideshow/LOTR maquette] is providing better value for the money or a "bigger bang for the buck" it is without a doubt Sideshow. The limited, numbered nature of the Sideshow line [as opposed to Weta's "let's just flood the market" open editions], the ability to alternatively display the LOTR maquettes [ yes, I recognize the Weta Gandalf statue also features this ability, but to date it is the only one], and Sideshow's individually designed and sculpted bases specific to each character [as opposed to Weta's "one size fit's all", generic, assembly line bases] lead me to believe collector's are getting more value for their money with Sideshow. Not that I think Sideshow's pricing is anything to write home about, but I do think they are providing better value for the money at the moment.

Eloquent, articulate - accurate.

No doubt currency is a problem. Back in the early 2000s the NZD was about half the value of the USD. So for every $125 Gandalf statue Weta sold they made about 260 NZD. Exactly ten years later Weta sells another Gandalf statue for 250 USD and they make 306 NZD. So doubling the price only earns Weta an extra 46 NZD. So everything else is the extra padding we are all feeling JUST due to currency fluctuations. The point is, Weta isn't really gouging us here on a statue to statue basis. Environment pricing is another matter as the actual materials are different, ditto for the helms.

One reason why I can look at Weta the other way is for 2 things:
1) The Hobbit == Weta, so I'm ok to pay a bit more premium for the brand name
2) We ask, and they produce, and cater to our needs.

It also all boils down to individual taste:
1) I happen to like Weta's generic bases
2) The limited, numbered line -- agreed that Sideshow does a better job

One reason why I can look at Weta the other way is for 2 things:
1) The Hobbit == Weta, so I'm ok to pay a bit more premium for the brand name
2) We ask, and they produce, and cater to our needs.

It also all boils down to individual taste:
1) I happen to like Weta's generic bases
2) The limited, numbered line -- agreed that Sideshow does a better job

Indeed, i think we should factor in the artists who are sculpting these and what they have done on the movies.

I also prefer the black bases, they give the statue a more eloquent, museum-like quality - and i like the map on the base.

As for Sideshow offering extras for their exclusives, i find switch-out heads tacky and cheapens the product - i don't want to have spare heads rolling around in a drawer. A whole, complete statue for me please.
This is of course my opinion and preference ;)

Indeed, i think we should factor in the artists who are sculpting these and what they have done on the movies.

I also prefer the black bases, they give the statue a more eloquent, museum-like quality - and i like the map on the base.

The folks from Weta working on these do make them special no doubt. It also factors in why I'm willing to lay down $250 a statue and the bases are awesome and very good looking.

As for Sideshow offering extras for their exclusives, i find switch-out heads tacky and cheapens the product - i don't want to have spare heads rolling around in a drawer. A whole, complete statue for me please.
This is of course my opinion and preference ;)

Good Lord. :slap :lol

Do you hold the same opinion with say the new GTG statue and that his hat can be stored away?

There is nothing cheap or tacky about Sideshow's Lord of the Rings line of statues nor anything coming out from the awesome folks from Weta. Saying otherwise IMO is trolling at best to get reactions out of members of the board.

Both companies in regards to Tolkien are tops but SS is more value no doubt, size and L/E ES helps in that regards...I am more partial towards Weta and their bases used and because these were the first LOTR items to come out period...I know many who started collecting statues and made it a hobby because of the earlier SS/weta stuff...There was that something special about those pieces...The Weta Hobbit pieces no doubt bring back those feelings again(at least for me anyway) but Weta is pricey when you compare...I dont think anyone would argue that point...but both are special...For me it's Weta LOTR over Sideshow LOTR because of the memories and feelings those pieces bring back...thats it...LOL I'm waiting for Gags to tell me I'm wrong because of value and paint apps...LOL JK

Last edited:
The folks from Weta working on these do make them special no doubt. It also factors in why I'm willing to lay down $250 a statue and the bases are awesome and very good looking.

Good Lord. :slap :lol

Do you hold the same opinion with say the new GTG statue and that his hat can be stored away?

There is nothing cheap or tacky about Sideshow's Lord of the Rings line of statues nor anything coming out from the awesome folks from Weta. Saying otherwise IMO is trolling at best to get reactions out of members of the board.

I'm sorry but i take exception to this - you are totally wrong here Josh. I am not 'trolling to get reactions.' How dare you! Am i not allowed to have an opinion and state my preference as everyone else does? I already said in my sentence it is my OWN preference and opinion.
As for Weta's Gandalf, actually no i don't think the same because i'll be displaying him with his hat on, and there won't be another head just laying around. I can take the hat off and admire the head sculpt but the hat will be staying on.

I'm sorry but i take exception to this - you are totally wrong here Josh. I am not 'trolling to get reactions.' How dare you! Am i not allowed to have an opinion and state my preference as everyone else does? I already said in my sentence it is my OWN preference and opinion.
As for Weta's Gandalf, actually no i don't think the same because i'll be displaying him with his hat on, and there won't be another head just laying around. I can take the hat off and admire the head sculpt but the hat will be staying on.

You are allowed and I never said anything otherwise. :) Just remember the next time someone says something you don't care for about something you like. ;) As I said before NOTHING Sideshow or Weta makes based on Middle-Earth is tacky stating otherwise is someone playing favorites or looking to stir things up.

It is though. It's something that can be left of the statue. I will leave mine on but someone could leave it to roll around in a drawer. I'd say they were dead wrong as I feel you are now. It is the same concept though.

Back